Author Topic: new island theme when the island gets reset.  (Read 9294 times)

Thehatter

new island theme when the island gets reset.
« Topic Start: August 11, 2014, 04:05:23 AM »
"Pokes Delvin"

When the Island gets reset we should do a romance of the three kingdoms theme and have the realms be called Shu,WI, and Wei.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Re: new island theme when the island gets reset.
« Reply #1: August 11, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »
Ooh, can we do this? Island themes? Realm themes? I didn't get to join in the discussion of this before I started playing so not having done so affected my outlook a fair bit going in.

I don't actually have any ideas right now. I'll think on it.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 11, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
1) I don't know RoTK beyond the name of it.
2) If the devs provide realm themes for a future iteration of the WI, they will absolutely, categorically, not be lifted wholesale from some other story, in any medium. They will be something that we create here.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 16, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
1) I don't know RoTK beyond the name of it.
2) If the devs provide realm themes for a future iteration of the WI, they will absolutely, categorically, not be lifted wholesale from some other story, in any medium. They will be something that we create here.

Actually that's a historical time period. The reason it's nicknamed that is because of the book written about the time period which is called that. So you aren't lifting anything from another story, they're factual events that belong to no one.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 17, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »
Actually that's a historical time period. The reason it's nicknamed that is because of the book written about the time period which is called that. So you aren't lifting anything from another story, they're factual events that belong to no one.

Well, while I will not state quite so categorically that we won't base a realm theming off of any historical period, I certainly have no intention to do so.

BattleMaster is not this world. Nor is it Middle Earth, Westeros, Scadrial, Velgarth, Midkemia, Thedas, Kenor, or any other world from any other story, franchise, or history.

BattleMaster is BattleMaster, and it has plenty of its own history.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dragonsbane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 17, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »
Here here Anaris, we can make our own epic history, no need to copy another.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 17, 2014, 03:21:00 AM »
Except the new War Islands don't... most of the people who would know the history of the previous ones are gone.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 17, 2014, 05:27:47 AM »
Holy crap, dude, do you really have nothing better to do with your life than troll the forums of a game you don't even play anymore?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 17, 2014, 06:15:04 AM »
Holy crap, dude, do you really have nothing better to do with your life than troll the forums of a game you don't even play anymore?

You're assuming what I'm saying here has anything to do with what I'm saying in the Dwilight threads. It does not. It's just a fact that most of the people who played then are not the same players as now. That's the same with most games. When I talk of losing players in the Dwilight threads, I'm speaking of newer players.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: August 17, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »
How about this? After this war island ends, make the rulers of the islands decide the name of the next war island realms.

If it isn't too big of a trouble maybe Anaris can allow rulers to decide the name of the capitals as well but that will probably involve photoshop or some sort of tools that can change the name on the map so probably not.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #10: August 17, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
seeing as how themes caused 99% of the trouble to date on that island, why don't we just leave it like it's always been & start up faster?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 17, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
seeing as how themes caused 99% of the trouble to date on that island, why don't we just leave it like it's always been & start up faster?

Give this man a cookie, and just be happy that you can even play on the war island again.

Thehatter

« Reply #12: August 17, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
Sorry Sacha, but I ate all the cookies. The good news is that they were delicious.

I would have to say the problem was that how do you split one pie between 80+ people in one realm.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 18, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
Sorry Sacha, but I ate all the cookies. The good news is that they were delicious.

I would have to say the problem was that how do you split one pie between 80+ people in one realm.

Indeed, I'd suspect this was the real issue behind the theme problems.

Forcing people to share, and to agree to not having any title whatsoever, in a game where not having a title is almost harder than having many.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #14: August 18, 2014, 12:27:46 AM »
Indeed, I'd suspect this was the real issue behind the theme problems.

Forcing people to share, and to agree to not having any title whatsoever, in a game where not having a title is almost harder than having many.

titles had little to do with the problems, at least in Sandalak.