Author Topic: Questions about Region Statistics  (Read 23013 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Questions about Region Statistics
« Reply #60: June 27, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
Whenever I talk about how many knights a region needs, for general discussions about how many knights it takes to run a region/realm, I always figure on all knights have large estates, with both production and authority covered to no less than 100%. Let's face it, regions *can* be stable without any knights at all, if you're willing to run the region at an 7-8% tax rate or something like that, and *nothing* happens to disturb the balance. (If it does, then the region will go down the tubes *fast*!)

Yes, but you see, my region needs a harsh court every few weeks at "some people are complaining" tax rates (which, let's face it, is the best a lord who's not always in the region can run), and nothing else needs to be done.  Thus, I don't think 100% coverage is ever needed for authority, just for production.  9-10 requirements are the most an average region would need, and one knight on authority and lord estate on production covers that quite nicely.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: June 27, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »
If the game says you need 10 for full coverage, then you need 10. If you don't need 10, then why is the game saying you do?

That is, at least, the impression the game gives you. And this is reinforced by the messages it gives you every day: " Too few estates support production and tax collection. Too few estates exert authority and support the local police. Lack of knights reduces region control." i.e.: "You need more knights."

If 80% was enough, why are we telling them they don't have enough?

I suspect that most of this will be worked out in the estates revamp.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #62: June 29, 2011, 02:55:52 AM »
If the game says you need 10 for full coverage, then you need 10. If you don't need 10, then why is the game saying you do?

That is, at least, the impression the game gives you. And this is reinforced by the messages it gives you every day: " Too few estates support production and tax collection. Too few estates exert authority and support the local police. Lack of knights reduces region control." i.e.: "You need more knights."

If 80% was enough, why are we telling them they don't have enough?

I suspect that most of this will be worked out in the estates revamp.

Again, this is a matter of "Wait, why do we want everything 100% or above"?  I'm saying a region does not need full estate coverage to support what we consider "normal state".  80% is not enough for perfect stats, no, but it is certainly enough if you don't have too many knights to go around.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: June 29, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
Again, this is a matter of "Wait, why do we want everything 100% or above"?  I'm saying a region does not need full estate coverage to support what we consider "normal state".  80% is not enough for perfect stats, no, but it is certainly enough if you don't have too many knights to go around.
No, it's not enough. The game itself tells you it's not enough.

"Too few estates support production and tax collection. Too few estates exert authority and support the local police."

See? Right there. The game is telling you, in red letters, every day, that you don't have enough. Red is bad. Red needs fixed. "Too few" is bad. If the game is telling you that you have "too few" of something then you need more of it. This is doubly true if it's telling you "too few".

The messages the game gives the players drive the reactions of the players. You want them to see 80% as a viable, workable situation? Then when they have 80% you shouldn't be telling them every single day that they need more.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #64: June 29, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
No, it's not enough. The game itself tells you it's not enough.

"Too few estates support production and tax collection. Too few estates exert authority and support the local police."

See? Right there. The game is telling you, in red letters, every day, that you don't have enough. Red is bad. Red needs fixed. "Too few" is bad. If the game is telling you that you have "too few" of something then you need more of it. This is doubly true if it's telling you "too few".

The messages the game gives the players drive the reactions of the players. You want them to see 80% as a viable, workable situation? Then when they have 80% you shouldn't be telling them every single day that they need more.

Clarification: I didn't write the existing estate code, so I can't tell you why it's that way.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: June 29, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
I know you didn't write the current code. But it's something to keep in mined when you write the new code. :P You have to be very careful in what messages the game is giving to the players.`

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #66: July 01, 2011, 04:48:23 AM »
I know you didn't write the current code. But it's something to keep in mined when you write the new code. :P You have to be very careful in what messages the game is giving to the players.`

Yes, let's keep the two separate.  I was talking about what your regions needs under the existing system.  Now would you agree that regions don't need as many knights as many tend to believe?

egamma

« Reply #67: July 01, 2011, 05:23:21 AM »
I'm just a player, but from my perspective, if the game says I need another knight, then I need another knight. If that's not the case, then the daily report should be changed to say "your region would benefit from another knight"--soften the language a little.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: July 01, 2011, 06:34:53 AM »
One of my characters is lord of Xhahgus in Beluaterra, 10% tax rate, mid-high 80s for production and high 90s-100% for morale and loyalty. Have my estate set to authority to keep control higher, Control still settles to Main quickly, but don't recall it dropping below that. The region hasn't had a knight in months, but the region is also right next to the capital, which in my experience is very helpful.

In looking over the daily region reports:

Day 8: Production falls 4%. Rumours speak of increased unrest.
Day 7:Morale falls 2%. Rumours speak of increased unrest.
Day 6: Morale falls 2%. Rumours speak of increased unrest.
Day 5: Production rises 1%. Morale rises 2%. Rumours speak of increased unrest.
Day 4: Production rises 2%.
Day 3: Production rises 1%. Rumours speak of increased unrest.
Day 2: Production falls 1%.
Day 1: Rumours speak of increased unrest.

So for 8 days, production went down a net 1% and Morale net decrease of 2%. Control is at Main and I think I've been away from the region for most of this time, maybe held court on either day 7 or 8.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: July 01, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Now would you agree that regions don't need as many knights as many tend to believe?
I know that regions can operate with less than 100% estate coverage. I have done it quite often. Even without any knights at all. But it is fragile.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: July 05, 2011, 02:51:30 AM »
I know that regions can operate with less than 100% estate coverage. I have done it quite often. Even without any knights at all. But it is fragile.

You neither want to be far from the capital or close to any fighting.

And you hope the majority faith is yours, or that there isn't any.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron