Author Topic: Is Morek dying?  (Read 11998 times)

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Is Morek dying?
« Reply #15: August 17, 2014, 12:22:37 AM »
well, cuz it sounds like they're having a fun time in the south with the war. why travel half a continent so you can have a new new realm  half a continent away from anything?

needs new blood to go populate the area and break it up into smaller realms, IMO. Or a good influx of monsters

This too.  The Southern War has been great.  It was just what the island needed to get things moving again.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 17, 2014, 12:26:07 AM »
well, cuz it sounds like they're having a fun time in the south with the war. why travel half a continent so you can have a new new realm  half a continent away from anything?

Well, hey, if people are having fun where Asylon is now, I don't see a reason to complain.

It just sounded like Gundam Kuriga was not, in fact, having fun. (And I'm still not clear on whether he's actually playing on Dwilight anymore...)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #17: August 17, 2014, 12:58:49 AM »
just looking at it in more detail. absolutely shocking, the number of open regions - rich rurals, townslands, strongholds...

and yet it sounds so unappealing to make the effort to go claim one of them and try to turn it into something, for me right now, anyway. I dunno, I have one char who might be an immigration candidate

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 17, 2014, 03:31:13 AM »
Well, hey, if people are having fun where Asylon is now, I don't see a reason to complain.

It just sounded like Gundam Kuriga was not, in fact, having fun. (And I'm still not clear on whether he's actually playing on Dwilight anymore...)

I'm not playing a character. Also, please take a look at the statistics in the realm density thread. For the continent as a whole, we're right back where we started in regards to realm density, Luria being an outlier rather than the norm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 17, 2014, 03:32:55 AM »
I'm not playing a character.

If you're no longer playing BattleMaster, then I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting consistently negative, bordeline-trollish comments on purely BattleMaster-related threads. If you continue to do so, they will be moderated.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 17, 2014, 03:40:03 AM »
If you're no longer playing BattleMaster, then I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting consistently negative, bordeline-trollish comments on purely BattleMaster-related threads. If you continue to do so, they will be moderated.

I'm not trolling at all. I am merely providing you with feedback. We have statistics to back us up, the number of nobles on Dwilight is maybe 2/3 what it was. Considering that you're only allowed one noble on the island, that's a significant number.

I mean, look at this:

Date               Nobles   Regions     Density
5 May 2013          383       238       1.61
1 March 2014       281       133       2.11
16 August 2014   205       133       1.54

That's a lot of players gone. And the density is worse than it was before.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 17, 2014, 03:55:39 AM »
I'm not trolling at all. I am merely providing you with feedback.

Whether it is your intent to troll or not, you are absolutely consistent in posting completely negative comments. Hiding behind "merely providing feedback" is a cop-out.

I say again: If you can't find something positive to say—sincerely positive, not just empty platitudes or stupid "but everything's really fine!" remarks—then you need to stop posting stuff about the game you stopped playing. This forum is for people who play BattleMaster, and for people who care enough about the game to make a constructive contribution to the community whether or not they play it. Not for people who left the game and just want to keep rubbing everyone's face in what a !@#$hole it is (in their opinion).

If you think I'm incapable of understanding the implications of statistics about player count, and that I need you to spell out the blindingly obvious for me at every turn, then that reeks of arrogance.
Timothy Collett

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 17, 2014, 06:06:15 AM »
This was why I was so against the monsters occupying the western islands. Our realms were more compact and very heavily populated compared to Morek, which was only ever going to be unpopulated because they did nothing whatsoever. That whole northeastern area was just empty space when it came to interaction with the rest of the island. Meanwhile Asylon, Niselur, and Barca were all finally forming a power block that is providing meaningful resistance to the traditional Sanguis Astroism bloc of theocracies. But the whole monster ordeal came in, trying to fix a problem that wasn't there for that side of the island. So here we are, half a year later. Many people from the west have quit, despite everything Morek still fell apart from lack of nobles, showing that the anticipated increase in noble density did nothing for that part of the island.

100% agree, that being said I have returned to the priesthood and enjoy the challenge of keeping our religion alive. I really wish they destroyed the eastern continent though, all the dynamic growing realms and new powers were in the west... I shed a tear every time I think of what could have been...oh well
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 17, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »

He has valid points, despite his tone. Dwilight lost almost 4 realms worth of characters. I think it'll be something that pays off in the long run, despite the initial loss, but that doesn't help the folks leaving right now.

Morek dying/shrinking is one of the effects of the freeze that will help make things better. Specifically killing realms isn't the devs responsibility....it is the players. Morek bleeding out nobles is just the slow way we could have done it. Mostly the player-created diplomacy/ties kept quicker ways from occurring.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 12, 2014, 02:46:41 AM »
This too.  The Southern War has been great.  It was just what the island needed to get things moving again.
As someone in Barca, the southern war has been boring as !@#$. Aside from a bit of activity once in a blue moon for the last few months or so absolutely !@#$ all has happened. It barely even feels like a war and characters and players have been dropping like flies lately due to largely unrelated incidents.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 12, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
As someone in Barca, the southern war has been boring as !@#$. Aside from a bit of activity once in a blue moon for the last few months or so absolutely !@#$ all has happened. It barely even feels like a war and characters and players have been dropping like flies lately due to largely unrelated incidents.

I understand that people put a lot into their characters and their realm. I was one of the founders of Asylon, and colonized the first city for the colony by myself. I put years and years of my life into that realm. It was really the only character I've kept active for a long time. But when it comes down to it, you should do what you think is fun. If Barca is boring then go somewhere else. D'Hara and Fissoa, while they can't win battles, at least have troops moving around doing things. I'm sure their nobles are fairly active in the messages as well. I joined Luria pretty early after Asylon fell in Unterstrom and couldn't be happier. For me, my time in Luria so far I'd rank just up there with when Asylon was wiping out Astrum in terms of my personal all time Battlemaster experiences, going all the way back to when I joined in 2007. This game should be about fun, and if a realm can't provide that, then perhaps it is time to think about moving on, because there seems to be a lot of other realms on Dwilight providing great experiences right now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:15:01 AM by Graeth »

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 12, 2014, 07:55:17 AM »
Not to beat my own drum or anything. I have a char in Luria and the southern war has very much felt like a war. A very big war. Its heaps of fun and the realm has never lost dynamic, only gained it. Its seriously one of the best times I've had in the game.

Also I can understand that it must not be fun in realms like D'hara, Barca or even Asylon. They cannot do much in term of warfare other than raid and run. In some ways this is also partly true for Fissoa and even Morek.

Back to OP: Is morek dying? I think it isn't but it has some tough decision in the near future to take if they want to reinvigorate their realm.

I am very much looking forwards to the future and as I've said on IRC and OOC chat IC, I want to share the fun and spread it around. its a game after all.. Send those letters and Rp's to foreigners, lay a link. Don't isolate yourself in one realms. It awesome and doesn't take much effort.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 12, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
I understand that people put a lot into their characters and their realm. I was one of the founders of Asylon, and colonized the first city for the colony by myself. I put years and years of my life into that realm. It was really the only character I've kept active for a long time. But when it comes down to it, you should do what you think is fun. If Barca is boring then go somewhere else. D'Hara and Fissoa, while they can't win battles, at least have troops moving around doing things. I'm sure their nobles are fairly active in the messages as well. I joined Luria pretty early after Asylon fell in Unterstrom and couldn't be happier. For me, my time in Luria so far I'd rank just up there with when Asylon was wiping out Astrum in terms of my personal all time Battlemaster experiences, going all the way back to when I joined in 2007. This game should be about fun, and if a realm can't provide that, then perhaps it is time to think about moving on, because there seems to be a lot of other realms on Dwilight providing great experiences right now.

Not to turn this into a "my realm is better than yours" debate, but D'Hara has won plenty of battles, thank you. While it used to be that every battle between D'Hara and Luria would result in a loss for us, despite having more men, the opposite seems true these days. Maybe our forces withdraw when a larger Lurian army arrives, but that's just normal... In the last 27 battles between D'Hara and Luria, D'Hara won 24 of them. D'Hara has also successfully taken over regions, and looted many others. To suggest that it can't achieve anything is completely unfounded.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 12, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »
Not to turn this into a "my realm is better than yours" debate, but D'Hara has won plenty of battles, thank you. While it used to be that every battle between D'Hara and Luria would result in a loss for us, despite having more men, the opposite seems true these days. Maybe our forces withdraw when a larger Lurian army arrives, but that's just normal... In the last 27 battles between D'Hara and Luria, D'Hara won 24 of them. D'Hara has also successfully taken over regions, and looted many others. To suggest that it can't achieve anything is completely unfounded.

You must be counting battles against peasants and lonely nobles, not actual armies, right?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 12, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »

Hahaha. I wasn't counting battles against peasants and bovines.