Author Topic: Cliques - a problem? and how to deal with them?  (Read 37508 times)

Jens Namtrah

First of all, what is the point of this?

I think people who read this need to understand that they are of the top x% of players of the game - basically, addicted, and will make large efforts to rearrange their characters to continue having fun.

The majority of players in the game will not make those efforts.

People who read this thread are the type who will work for months to stage a rebellion, or ask around for a new realm and uproot themselves, or other attempts.

The majority of players in the game will not make those efforts. They will simply become less active, or stop logging in.

So if you are going to contribute anything meaningful to this conversation, you have to stop thinking and talking like a player who has been around for years and has dozens of friends. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the average player who's been around for a much shorter time and does not have all the doors open to them the moment they join a new realm.

Secondly, what is the exact issue we are concerned with?

1) Realms that simply exclude most players from participating in decisions at some level.

Allowing the realm to chatter while a select few have their own real conversation doesn't count.

2) Informing players  OOC that they cannot participate in certain areas due to the length of time they have been in the realm

If there is an IR that players can play at their own pace, there should be another that says they have the right to play for "real" based on activity and contribution, not how long they've been around.

(We're not talking about the guy who want to be ruler on his 3rd day - use some common sense.)

Realms that show obvious "gangbang" opinions in support of one of their members

To be more clear, I see too many instances where a character will behave in a crude, vulgar manner and receive full support from the realm against a newer player/character not part of their group. They aren't roleplaying, they are supporting their clique.

Realms where there are council members who have held the position for more than 2 years

I'm so terribly sick of the "this is hard and we need the right person" argument. This is a game that high school players participate in. You don't need a degree in economics to be the banker. If they are new, teach them.

There are other indicators, to be sure, but still trying to vet some of them from my own personal pet peeves, so I'll go with that for now. Now for a few ways to deal with this.