Author Topic: Cliques - a problem? and how to deal with them?  (Read 37506 times)

Jens Namtrah

Some solutions:

First - we are not out to try to lightning bolt people. We ARE trying to make these groups share the game - and

NOT SHARE POWER, BUT RATHER,  SHARE PARTICIPATION

Read that again.

NOT SHARE POWER, BUT RATHER,  SHARE PARTICIPATION

This is not about allowing new characters to become rulers. This is about allowing new players to feel like they are fully playing the game. That they aren't on a 5 year waiting list to get a spot in the "real game".

One problem we have is that there are many realms that have the problems above, but EVERYBODY IS HAPPY! So why is that a problem?

It's a problem because "everybody" includes future players as well. Therefore, there must be some minimum standards that all realms must adhere to so that when a new player joins, the game can offer him a certain experience (as much as that is possible, given that people are obviously different and no experience will ever be exact). If the game advertises that this is a team-player RPG, and then his experience is such that he feels like a drone and not a team player, the game has failed.

NO REALM HAS THE RIGHT TO CAUSE THE GAME TO FAIL FOR ITS OWN PERSONAL SATISFACTION.

BM does not get new players at a rate that affords it the luxury of losing a certain percentage simply through the selfishness of certain groups. This is hurting the game, and therefore BM has EVERY RIGHT to step in and take steps to correct the problem.

How?

First of all, get some information. There has been talk for years about "polls" for players who quit - don't wait that long, and don't spend time writing unnecessary code. Set up MONTHLY polls to all characters using a third-party survey tool & just message everyone  in-game a link.

Ask questions like:
(scale of 1-5)
- I know why my realm is at war right now
- I feel the ruler/council considers opinions I give when making decisions
- I have had an opportunity to gain a new position (lord, vice marshal, run for council) this month
- I feel the realm has an exclusionary clique

Read these to look for trouble spots. You can't just let a computer script find those - you'll need to look it over and see what stands out, and then do the next step.

Second - an "Investigation Group"
 Polls won't tell you everything, or what the precise problems are. Make a small group of  players who can be trusted to be discreet and professional, and allow them a separate account to create characters to check out the realm for a few months themselves and make a report. Tom used to do this all the time - there's no substitute for "boots on the ground"

If they decide there seems to be a problem, start communications with the ruler & the realm to convey that and work out what needs to be done to improve that realm.

I think you will find that most of the time these players will not realize, or not agree there is a problem. It will take some case-by-case creativity. Keep in mind - and keep reminding them - that this is for the benefit of ALL the players, present and future, and that a more active game is almost always a better one.