Author Topic: Cliques - a problem? and how to deal with them?  (Read 37495 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
No, it doesn't sound like that at all. Read again and think about it.

You may not have meant it like that, but I assure you, that is how it sounded.

Your next post has some good ideas—I do have more surveys on my TODO list, but I'm afraid putting them together in a third-party tool and getting the links out to people isn't significantly more work than building it in BM, based on the surveys we've already done—but also makes some assumptions.

First of all, there is the assumption that it is, at present, possible to put together a group of players both willing and able to put in the amount of extra time required to do the kind of monitoring that your suggestions require. I don't think that's necessarily wrong, but I'm quite sure that it's not necessarily right, either.

Second of all, there's a more fundamental assumption: that it is possible to get any significant percentage of the player base to put the health of the game ahead of the good of their realm—or even be able to see the two as being meaningfully separate. After all, for most people, what they get to see is just what's going on in their realm, so how are they supposed to have any idea what to do differently than "what's best for my realm" in order to improve the game?

Don't forget, Miskel, that a (sadly) significant percentage of the game honestly believes that the people in the realms they are at war with is acting in bad faith, being hypocritical or deceitful, or otherwise being bad people OOC just to "get ahead" in the game...because that's the way the human mind works when put in the "us vs them" mode.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan