Author Topic: SUGGESTION- Please read!  (Read 6149 times)

ArthurDarkhallen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
SUGGESTION- Please read!
« Topic Start: September 09, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
Hey guys,

I was just thinking- wouldn't it be great if allied realms could 'transfer' prisoners among themselves? Like if there was a banned noble whom a realm wants to deal with, but another allied realm captures him but has little to do with him, why not have an option whereby you could send a prisoner to another realm's prison? That way he could be dealt with and this contributes to the fun of BM.

GameMasters, please consider this.

-Arthur

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: SUGGESTION- Please read!
« Reply #1: September 09, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
I think this is one of those suggesttions that gets auto-rejected...

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 09, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
I think this is one of those suggesttions that gets auto-rejected...

For those of us not in the know, why? Not wanting to know for arguments sake, just plain curious!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 09, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »
This would make a ban from any realm essentially a guaranteed death sentence. You're going to be desperately avoiding battle with any realm allied with that realm, because you know that as soon as they get you, you'll be handed over to the realm who banned you, and you'll die.

It ruins fun for anyone who has even a single ban on a continent.

Yes, I know, it can be frustrating when there's a character out there that you really, really want to kill, but just can't capture a second time...but BattleMaster deliberately makes it hard to kill characters. Remember, one of these days, that character that someone really, really wants to kill might well be your own.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 09, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
This would make a ban from any realm essentially a guaranteed death sentence. You're going to be desperately avoiding battle with any realm allied with that realm, because you know that as soon as they get you, you'll be handed over to the realm who banned you, and you'll die.

It ruins fun for anyone who has even a single ban on a continent.

Yes, I know, it can be frustrating when there's a character out there that you really, really want to kill, but just can't capture a second time...but BattleMaster deliberately makes it hard to kill characters. Remember, one of these days, that character that someone really, really wants to kill might well be your own.

Not sure if it'd address what the player is asking for, but what about prisonner transfers only if the captor realm already banned the noble in question? That way, he could already execute the character himself, but maybe an allied realm has more historical background and wishes to do so themselves, or maybe his buddy in another realm particularily enjoys torture. Or one can ship a captured noble to any realm, except if that realm banned the noble in question and you have not.

Obviously, I agree with you that a ban in one realm shouldn't mean a universal death menace, but there'd be ways to spin things around that. there could also be an increased chance of escape during transfers, and it'd allow for new diplomatic tools. I could think of a few more options to revamp the prison experience should transfers become a possibility, though, in the end, I also don't really see justification for all of this to be given coding priority.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 09, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
Though I am sure it has already been considered, what about a fairly high chance of escape during such a transfer? I also think Chénier's suggestion could have potential...

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 09, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »
At a minimum, the realm receiving the prisoner should have to pay the ransom of the prisoner in question.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 10, 2014, 12:59:39 AM »
And there needs to be a significant risk of the prisoner escaping along the way, especially over great distances.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: September 10, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »
At a minimum, the realm receiving the prisoner should have to pay the ransom of the prisoner in question.

Maybe if you want to buy a prisoner, make it cost double the usual ransom? ;)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 10, 2014, 01:23:27 AM »
Maybe if you want to buy a prisoner, make it cost double the usual ransom? ;)

I don't really see that as being a significant cost. If a realm wants someone dead it would be easy to meet this cost.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 10, 2014, 05:21:52 AM »
Simple: there's the possibility of escape, and I would assume the release timer wouldn't go down, because otherwise you could just keep someone imprisoned for a ridiculous length of time (assuming they don't escape). So yes, you might transfer them, only to have them arrive and pledge ransom.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 10, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »
This is one of those things that sound great in the narrative but suck in terms of gameplay. 

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 10, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
This is one of those things that sound great in the narrative but suck in terms of gameplay.

As long as equivalence of risk is maintained (can't transfer to a realm that banned the noble unless you have banned him yourself), I don't see any negative points gameplay-wise.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 10, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
To put a few offered ideas together:

* A realm can chose to ship an imprisoned character to another realm only if they had already banned the prisoner before capturing them.
* The transfer takes time and that time depends on the distance between the two capitols
* The prisoner's release timer is not reset or paused at any point
* There is a greater chance of escape during the transfer and that chance increases with distance

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 10, 2014, 10:44:21 PM »
So, the idea is to sell a prisoner to another realm only if executing such noble is already an option in the realm that captured it.  Right?