Author Topic: Investment  (Read 19285 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Investment
« Topic Start: May 31, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »
Does anyone have any figures on the payoff? Like what is the cost-benefit ratio?

Thing is that I would like to invest in a Townsland region. However, my family wealth is at 1750. So I wonder if depositing 250 gold first, and doing an investment would gain me more money than just holding on to the 250 + next tax day...

PS: is investment money deducted from your family wealth or fromthe character's personal money?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Investment
« Reply #1: May 31, 2011, 09:17:58 PM »
Investment gold is taken from your family coffers.

When you make an investment, it will tell you what it thinks the payoff will be, but that's only a rough estimate and if you crank up the taxes, keep the lord and maybe a few others in residence to help keep region stats high, you can get some nice payoffs.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 31, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
Also remember that the return is in the form of increased regional tax income, which is divvied out as normal to the regional knights, duchy share, etc. It does not go into the lord's pocket. So you personally may come out s=with less, but the net gain for the region should be positive if you manage the region well for the course of the investment.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 31, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
Aha :) Great, thanks!  ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 31, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
Also, all of my last investments all predicted a lower outcome than the amount I had invested (ex: 240 gold increase with 250 gold spending). Good thing the main reason for the investments had more to do with food than anything else, in these cases... :/
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: June 01, 2011, 04:59:41 AM »
Investments are usually to boost production to maximum for food and also to help other regions, usually not for profit (it rarely works that way), and if you get profit it's not a lot.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 01, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »
Investments are usually to boost production to maximum for food and also to help other regions, usually not for profit (it rarely works that way), and if you get profit it's not a lot.

So usually it's done in Rurals?

In Thalmarkin I saw an investment in the capital, making tax revenue triple (triple the gold income on the region summary page)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 01, 2011, 09:10:14 AM »
Some silly people think you can't make good money off of investments.

One of the primary uses of investments is to help a region recover from looting, and especially rurals for their food production, but I frequently invest in cities for the extra gold.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 01, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
Some silly people think you can't make good money off of investments.

One of the primary uses of investments is to help a region recover from looting, and especially rurals for their food production, but I frequently invest in cities for the extra gold.

So what about townslands? Will they fall in between and essentially be useless to invest in? (seeing they don't produce as much gold as cities, and not as much food as rurals)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 01, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
Any region can make a profit in an investment, with careful management. The type of region isn't that important.

Remember a few key factors:
  • The higher the gold rating, the more expensive the investment. A rural may only cost 100 gold for an investment, while larger cities may require 400, 500, or even more gold.
  • The higher the gold rating, the less of a percentage boost you get to production. A rural may get boosted to 220% or more, but a city will generally go to about 160%, or maybe less.
  • The higher above the normal, sustainable value the production goes, the faster it falls off.
  • If production does not go above the normal sustainable value, it will not fall. This can be used to rapidly recover a region from looting.
  • Food production cannot go over 100%, regardless of how high production goes.
  • Gold production can go over 100%.

And most importantly:

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 01, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
Sorry Indirik. I did look there first, but 'investment' didn't do the trick apparently.

Thanks!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 01, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
It does now. :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 04, 2011, 07:09:20 AM »
Any region can make a profit in an investment, with careful management. The type of region isn't that important.

Remember a few key factors:
  • The higher the gold rating, the more expensive the investment. A rural may only cost 100 gold for an investment, while larger cities may require 400, 500, or even more gold.
  • The higher the gold rating, the less of a percentage boost you get to production. A rural may get boosted to 220% or more, but a city will generally go to about 160%, or maybe less.
  • The higher above the normal, sustainable value the production goes, the faster it falls off.
  • If production does not go above the normal sustainable value, it will not fall. This can be used to rapidly recover a region from looting.
  • Food production cannot go over 100%, regardless of how high production goes.
  • Gold production can go over 100%.

And most importantly:

It seems I was misread. I never said they never produce profits. I used to usually get profits. I was just stating I was not getting any lately, out of the last 5 or so.

You invest wherever you want. If your goal is to boost production over 100%, cities are your best bet I'd say. If you just want to bring it to 100%, then depends on you.

I've invested in rurals and townslands with suboptimal production levels in order to increase their food output, to make sure I had a steady supply from them, while helping them out a little extra. I wouldn't have done it if their production was at 100%, though.

Speaking of which... WHY won't food production go over 100%?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: June 04, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »
It seems I was misread. I never said they never produce profits. I used to usually get profits. I was just stating I was not getting any lately, out of the last 5 or so.

You invest wherever you want. If your goal is to boost production over 100%, cities are your best bet I'd say. If you just want to bring it to 100%, then depends on you.

I've invested in rurals and townslands with suboptimal production levels in order to increase their food output, to make sure I had a steady supply from them, while helping them out a little extra. I wouldn't have done it if their production was at 100%, though.

Speaking of which... WHY won't food production go over 100%?

Because food is a resource.  You can't just put more money in and get back more apples than exist in the world, maximum food production is just that, maximum food production.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 04, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »
Because food is a resource.  You can't just put more money in and get back more apples than exist in the world, maximum food production is just that, maximum food production.

That might be true, but one could argue that after an investment, people would more readily sell the stocks they still have at home :) It's kind of simplistic to think all the food produced goes into the warehouses of a region anyway. Looking at it from a medieval perspective, I think the food in the Lord's warehouse consists of a percentage of the total production in a region, given to him by the peasants in exchange for the protection the Lord provides :) (I don't know the right terminlogy in english, so excuse me the unorthodox way of putting it ;) )