Author Topic: An unique problem  (Read 3440 times)

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
An unique problem
« Topic Start: September 10, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »
We are facing this problem on Fronen. Being a republic, we have monthly elections for the realm council except ruler which is quarterly.

The election day was a few days ago but no one stepped up in the banker election and as a result it failed. Since we already have a banker, another auto election didn't trigger (the one which triggers when the position is vacated) and consequently we don't have a way to appoint/elect a new banker. As with all failed elections, the peasants are complaining about it and I don't know if it will stop or continue till the next month. I believe this will result in morale loss in all regions if left unchecked.

So can anyone help me out?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: An unique problem
« Reply #1: September 10, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
Is this not the correct outcome? The nobility care so little for the process that they ignored it, not even going to the effort of the incumbent running for the office. Since no one ran for the election the first time why would the mechanics assume a second election is required?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 10, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
The worst problem isn't the semi-inactive banker or no one caring to be our new banker, in light of being lesser of the two evils I'm forced to let it go, for now. The main problem is the peasants complaining about the failed election and I believe this will cause morale loss in all regions after a few days. So I asked if this complaining would stop soon or would continue till the next election.

In case of the latter, we can't let that happen. Being at war with the strongest realm on the continent doesn't bode well for region management. In that case can we let an infiltrator wound our banker to trigger the auto election? Would that be seen as abuse of game mechanics?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 10, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
I believe the complaining peasants should stop in less than a week.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 10, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »
I believe the complaining peasants should stop in less than a week.

Thanks! Now I can have a sigh of relief.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 10, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
If an election fails, and the office is vacant, another election should start the next day (next full turn, I think). This should keep happening as long as the problem continues. (De-Legro: This makes the game Not Suck, as the players have no way to trigger an election, barring some shady manipulation of the mechanics.) In your case, the office is not vacant, so a new election will *not* be triggered. You'll have to live with the protesting for a few days, as Anaris mentions. It's a penalty for a failed election. If failed elections are a problem you keep having, then maybe consider swapping the position to appointed instead of elected. Or switch to quarterly elections. (Monthly elections tend to quickly produce election fatigue and apathy, especially in small realms.)

Regarding the infiltrator thing: Yes, that could be considered abuse of mechanics. When you hire an assassin, the IC expectation is that you're trying to kill the person. Also, it's a pretty slim chance that you'll wound the guy long enough for him to lose his office, unless he's really old, and the assassin hits him hard.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 11, 2014, 01:17:54 AM »
If an election fails, and the office is vacant, another election should start the next day (next full turn, I think). This should keep happening as long as the problem continues. (De-Legro: This makes the game Not Suck, as the players have no way to trigger an election, barring some shady manipulation of the mechanics.) In your case, the office is not vacant, so a new election will *not* be triggered. You'll have to live with the protesting for a few days, as Anaris mentions. It's a penalty for a failed election. If failed elections are a problem you keep having, then maybe consider swapping the position to appointed instead of elected. Or switch to quarterly elections. (Monthly elections tend to quickly produce election fatigue and apathy, especially in small realms.)

Regarding the infiltrator thing: Yes, that could be considered abuse of mechanics. When you hire an assassin, the IC expectation is that you're trying to kill the person. Also, it's a pretty slim chance that you'll wound the guy long enough for him to lose his office, unless he's really old, and the assassin hits him hard.

Indeed, but then we were not talking about a case of a vacant position, simply one that no one bothered to run for despite apparently being unsatisfied with the current holder.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 13, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »
Savia del Commercio Abdicates   (13 minutes ago)
message to all nobles of Fronen
Kaxerra Awesome, Savia del Commercio of Fronen, Royal of Fronen, Duchess of Carmel, Governor of Dyomoque has been removed from her position as Savia del Commercio due to inactivity. A referendum for a new Savia del Commercio will be started shortly.

Thank god the game takes care of some stuff by itself! The peasants have stopped complaining just like you said.