Author Topic: Report death of an adventurer to the region  (Read 5101 times)

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Report death of an adventurer to the region
« Topic Start: May 31, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
As a player who has lost several adventurers - and I had several companions dying as well - I would like to see the death of an adventurer reported to one of the following:
a) all adventurers in the region
b) all adventurers in the region and all neighbouring regions
c) as b but also to the nobles in the region.

I would really like option b) it would make sense that (considering all adventurers can talk to each other across one region) they also receive news that one of them was slain. Right now I have to search through the 'all-characters-on-the-island-list' to find out if a buddy of mine simply went sleeping or wenching - or was slain by a beast, so the information is accessible, if only in a cumberson way. In addition it would be nice to see RP's of your companions in case of death - and usually they realize to late that you are /dead/ instead of missing for a few days - thus no RP's.

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Report death of an adventurer to the region
« Reply #1: June 01, 2011, 12:39:22 AM »
It makes some sense the way it is now, actually. Think about it: Commoner.

Adventurer Bob goes into the cave to hunt a beast. He never returns. You wonder what has happened to him. Only after you do some thorough investigations do you find that he was slain and eaten by the monsters. Oh no, how sad, and no one even cared that he had passed. Such is the plight of a commoner...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 01, 2011, 03:55:25 AM »
It makes some sense the way it is now, actually. Think about it: Commoner.

Adventurer Bob goes into the cave to hunt a beast. He never returns. You wonder what has happened to him. Only after you do some thorough investigations do you find that he was slain and eaten by the monsters. Oh no, how sad, and no one even cared that he had passed. Such is the plight of a commoner...

I guess the discussion should whether this is one of those cases were we should ignore the common sense solution to aid game play. Though I've played as an advy, I was mostly a solo player so I can really say how important/useful this sort of thing would be.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 01, 2011, 09:10:37 AM »
Well, the nobles might not care, but I suppose Bob's friends do. If the advy is 'famous' enough, the mesage will eventually spread from the advies in the surrounding regions to Bob's guilds/contacts/liege.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: June 01, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Well, on the flipside you actually would never know that a noble hero died unless he got buried...if you're an adventurer.

If you are an adventurer, that's something akin to the media not caring enough about you. A noble's death is broadcast so everyone in the realm knows. An adventurer's death is not so much. Have you ever noticed that whenever a famous politician cheats on his wife just about everyone in the world who has a TV knows? Contrast it with an average working person who cheats on his wife, and they just go to divorce court and not many people know or care.

Sure, the family and friends care but in BM, we have no mechanic to tell who's a friend. We do have a mechanic for who's family, and the family would certainly know the adventurer die, if the player chooses so. The entire family is played by the same player, after all.

Now why should it be mechanics? Well, right now our "friendship" system is by roleplay. By the same token, finding out about deaths of adventurers is by roleplay, in that...well, yeah, you have to find out yourself that he's dead. No messages announcing it. For nobles, it's just because that's one of their perks or something.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 01, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
Just allow advies some last words? A roleplay on their last batte, if they so wish?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 01, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
no good reason why a noble should know about an advy's death really. that said... it probably wouldn't be impossible to use contact list somehow..

just have a separate flag to allow a noble to highlight a special advy and get a message when that advy dies.

otherwise, advy death broadcast should only go to other nearby advys
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 02, 2011, 12:27:17 AM »
no good reason why a noble should know about an advy's death really. that said... it probably wouldn't be impossible to use contact list somehow..

just have a separate flag to allow a noble to highlight a special advy and get a message when that advy dies.

otherwise, advy death broadcast should only go to other nearby advys

Perhaps the Lord that "owns" the advy should be notified. I know I would expect my servants to notify me when my favourite dog dies, I expect at least one member of my household would notice when  an advy does not return. That said I suppose its not like advies keep regular visiting times.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #8: June 02, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »
I guess the discussion should whether this is one of those cases were we should ignore the common sense solution to aid game play.

+100

right now, there is no way to get any sort of rumor about what happened (died, was executed, character was deleted) and so it really cuts the roleplay off sharply. 

Seems like a message sent to all adventurers, or else  last words, is a simple enough roleplay enhancing addition that doesn't interfere with anyone's fun.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: June 02, 2011, 01:43:38 AM »
Last words...man I remember something like this for Heroes, and the thought there was that on a battlefield, no one will hear you croak out your last words because even if you still had the ability to speak, you probably would not have enough strength to be audible in the din of battle.

For an adventurer? Well I am not so sure about the monster one (I think the alpha monster eats you actually), but I do know that the undead one says you are surrounded and the champion sinks his blade through you, and you die alone surrounded by undead. Alone. Meaning you are dead, and you don't say anything that gets heard by anything alive. The undead hear you, but they could care less.

Sure, you could try to roleplay out that you really didn't die immediately to the undead and had a buddy there with you who watched you die and heard you speak your last words. But somehow the current gameplay says adventurers really do go on actual hunts alone. They can share group locations, but apparently they never ever go together into the same cave. Huh, go figure.

Jens Namtrah

Last words...man I remember something like this for Heroes, and the thought there was that on a battlefield, no one will hear you croak out your last words because even if you still had the ability to speak, you probably would not have enough strength to be audible in the din of battle.

For an adventurer? Well I am not so sure about the monster one (I think the alpha monster eats you actually), but I do know that the undead one says you are surrounded and the champion sinks his blade through you, and you die alone surrounded by undead. Alone. Meaning you are dead, and you don't say anything that gets heard by anything alive. The undead hear you, but they could care less.

Sure, you could try to roleplay out that you really didn't die immediately to the undead and had a buddy there with you who watched you die and heard you speak your last words. But somehow the current gameplay says adventurers really do go on actual hunts alone. They can share group locations, but apparently they never ever go together into the same cave. Huh, go figure.

Anytime you send a roleplay out to the realm, even if you explicitly state in your roleplay that you are alone, behind locked doors and closed windows, all events in the roleplay are known to anyone who receives the message. That's a game rule, as "stated by Tom".

The point? That there's no point getting excessively literal with messages and events in the game. People are trying to enjoy themselves.

If the request doesn't interfere with your fun, and some others think it will enhance theirs, why not cut it some slack?

I mean, if you are really worried, we can just change the dying game message to say, "A little boy who had discreetly followed you to the cave watches you die. He runs off to tell everyone in the nearby village" and Voila! problem solved.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Anytime you send a roleplay out to the realm, even if you explicitly state in your roleplay that you are alone, behind locked doors and closed windows, all events in the roleplay are known to anyone who receives the message. That's a game rule, as "stated by Tom".

The point? That there's no point getting excessively literal with messages and events in the game. People are trying to enjoy themselves.

If the request doesn't interfere with your fun, and some others think it will enhance theirs, why not cut it some slack?

I mean, if you are really worried, we can just change the dying game message to say, "A little boy who had discreetly followed you to the cave watches you die. He runs off to tell everyone in the nearby village" and Voila! problem solved.

Thats not quite true. Tom said he has no interest in policing IG knowledge from realm wide roleplays, IE don't expect the titans to ensure you monologue remains a monologue. He is more then happy for the realm to police it itself, if it decides that such things are not to be allowed. Easiest way to do this is accuse characters that use such information of witch craft.

I agree though, I can add a last message to my noble when I delete him. While it doesn't fit the situation logically a way for advies to have a last word or something in my opinion only adds to the game. Its a bit different then the Hero case, as in general many other players are aware of the Hero's death on the battlefield, and then we get continent messages about it when they bury them.