Author Topic: Saving Ikalak was a waste of effort  (Read 23266 times)

Jens Namtrah

Saving Ikalak was a waste of effort
« Topic Start: September 16, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
They just sat there most of the war; what was supposed to be a three-way game of cut-throat was a fiasco & now they are waiting until the are outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 so they can what? Sue for peace?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Ikalak was a waste of effort
« Reply #1: September 16, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
It's a tough situation for Sandalak, to be sure. Ikalak and Taselak have had a no-compete agreement since the beginning of the game. They've never fought a single battle, or even attempted to steal a region from each other on the sly. Given that, I'm surprised Sandalak managed to last so long. I'm not sure what Ikalak thinks they gain from this. Taselak will grow huge and fat, and Ikalak will get steamrollered.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 16, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
It's a tough situation for Sandalak, to be sure. Ikalak and Taselak have had a no-compete agreement since the beginning of the game. They've never fought a single battle, or even attempted to steal a region from each other on the sly. Given that, I'm surprised Sandalak managed to last so long. I'm not sure what Ikalak thinks they gain from this. Taselak will grow huge and fat, and Ikalak will get steamrollered.

I think that is the goal, at least for some within Ikalak
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 16, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
That is ... odd. Their entire goal is "we lasted longer than Sandalak"?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 16, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
They just seek to continue the Ikalakian tradition of never winning the War Island.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: September 16, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
Maybe they want this version of SI to end quickly so they can win the next one?  :o

Medevandalist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 16, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
Part of the reason why Taselak didn't bother fighting Ikalak from the start (and likely why Ikalak hasn't bothered  to invade us either) is that the regions between our realms are pretty much the worst on the continent, yet all the regions around Sandalak on both the north-eastern and western sides are excellent producers of both gold and food. So we don't bother fighting for regions significantly worse than the ones we could be fighting Sandalak over. On the next incarnation of the war island, it would be nice to have the regions balanced differently to give more of a motivator for Taselak and Ikalak to fight.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 16, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »
Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember most fighting on the old WI to be 'out of the woods' so to speak.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #8: September 16, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
This might apply more to Tasalak than Ikalak, since they were stronger and more organized from the beginning.

But you don't always have to fight to take regions - sometimes you need to fight their armies, too. Ikalak's behavior this long and late is pretty inexplicable, to me at least.

Regarding reset: I propose we do without the Ruler's channel, and make it clear that WI collusion is a "kick you off the island" offense.

We had great fun RPing in Sandalak, but the whole island could have been a lot more so with a proper three-way fight like it was designed to be.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 16, 2014, 11:07:05 PM »
Regarding reset: I propose we do without the Ruler's channel, and make it clear that WI collusion is a "kick you off the island" offense.

I agree.

I would go further and say that if you want to experience a different realm, delete your character and start a new one. All that region switching is fun politics on the other islands, but defeats the point of the war islands.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: September 17, 2014, 12:27:32 AM »
Yeah. It really didn't help people to work together. Spies really forced people to use what they use in other islands. Small groups of trusted people which was kind of a let down to be honest.

Anyway, it has been fun. I wish it was more of a three way battle than just kill Sandalak :(

Dragonsbane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 17, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »
I'm in Ikalak and after finally being ready to move again, no orders were given other than tend you lands and wait for us to come up with a plan. I feel like many, that once this WI ends, the reboot will be great because we will be past all the stupidity of people playing this like it's Atamara or any of the other Islands. But Ikalak now isn't going to win anything other than the lemming award. Also, totally agree with no ruler channel.

Medevandalist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 17, 2014, 12:59:51 AM »
Region switching based on whomever happens to be winning at that moment in time ruins the war aspect of the war island, which is why we in Taselak adopted a policy of banning any lords who defect their regions to us for treachery and cowardice. I asked Ikalak to do something similar but I only got a rather snarky response from their king, which was interesting as Ikalak suffered rather heavily earlier in the war from a lot of lords switching the allegiance of their realms. All three realms should collude at least as far as banning lords who betray their allegiance and give their regions over to another realm, since it heavily detracts from the war elements and we all saw mass switches based on the tide of the war.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:03:58 AM by Medevandalist »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 17, 2014, 01:25:56 AM »
Region switching based on whomever happens to be winning at that moment in time ruins the war aspect of the war island, which is why we in Taselak adopted a policy of banning any lords who defect their regions to us for treachery and cowardice. I asked Ikalak to do something similar but I only got a rather snarky response from their king, which was interesting as Ikalak suffered rather heavily earlier in the war from a lot of lords switching the allegiance of their realms. All three realms should collude at least as far as banning lords who betray their allegiance and give their regions over to another realm, since it heavily detracts from the war elements and we all saw mass switches based on the tide of the war.

Some collusion in terms of enforcing these "rules" would be interesting.

Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #14: September 17, 2014, 01:36:20 AM »
Some collusion in terms of enforcing these "rules" would be interesting.

That is a judges agreement, which I think works fine in the game.

We also made a strict rule about spies, both for & against us - be interesting if anyone genuinely would go along with that.

Is it possible to have a "clean" island?  ???