Author Topic: Saving Ikalak was a waste of effort  (Read 23269 times)

Medevandalist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Ikalak was a waste of effort
« Reply #45: September 18, 2014, 01:45:57 AM »
A better way to look at it is Ikalak chose fun over boredom, than that whole glory or death debate, and boredom is just death by a different name in this game.

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: September 18, 2014, 02:20:45 AM »
That is foolish, it is not a either or situation. To fight is glory, sometimes that glory results in death.
It was a sarcastic comment about a realistic evaluation of the situation - I'll try to explain better another time ;)

For the record I plan a bloody amazing death - all I'm saying is there'll be no realm hopping.  I stick where I stand pointing my sword at all comers and my realm is more likely to lose the fight in the end than win.  Either way is all good

Eirikr

« Reply #47: September 18, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »
Death or glory... most likely death

That reminds me... have there actually been any non-duel fatalities on the WI yet?

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #48: September 18, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »
Nope. Although I can only speak for battles Sandalak has been involved in. #troll

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #49: September 18, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »
To be fair, being outnumbered by Taselak almost 2 to 1, Ikalak's only chance to win is absorbing what's left of the Sandies. It's easy to ban immigrants when you're the largest realm by far and are winning decisively.You play Cody, right? A brigand who was consecutively banished from both Taselak and Sandalak for not following orders, not playing in team and even spying.
Now you're doing the same in Ikalak and it's actually fine and dandy in-character, but why mislead people OOCly?

Wasn't banned from Sandalak, as that character /was/ following orders when he defected. Chew on that.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #50: September 18, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Wasn't banned from Sandalak, as that character /was/ following orders when he defected. Chew on that.

Yes, but the two of you miscalculated the backlash you would get from it, so now your  "friend" can't help you or even speak up about it.

Were you ever to come back to Sandalak, you'd be banned before you could say hello. And if he ever came clean with the story, he'd be drummed out as well.

So same thing, wouldn't you say?

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #51: September 18, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
Not really. Cody's a devout follower of the Immortal God-king.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #52: September 18, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
When I'm more active again I hope Sandalak and Taselak can have some more good battles and a glorious end before the reset (and subsequent tweaking). I've already missed a slew of battles because I was asked to take command of a region.

So much for most prestigious noble of Taselak.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: September 18, 2014, 06:01:37 PM »
I've already missed a slew of battles because I was asked to take command of a region.
I know how you feel. Tending your region, running drafts, passing out gold ... all takes away from the fighting time. Our poor banker almost exclusively sat in Sandalak managing food for the realm for weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: September 18, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
I know how you feel. Tending your region, running drafts, passing out gold ... all takes away from the fighting time. Our poor banker almost exclusively sat in Sandalak managing food for the realm for weeks.

How hard would it be to remove all food aspects of the war islands?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: September 18, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
How hard would it be to remove all food aspects of the war islands?

Not totally trivial, but not difficult, either.

However, I believe that food is an important strategic resource, and as such, management of it is part of war.

If you remove food as a factor on the War Islands, rural regions essentially cease to have meaning. Looting your enemy loses half its punch.

So many things depend on food being a factor.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: September 18, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
Same for drafts. Sandalak would not be in the trouble it currently is in if its RCs were full, and that's part of normal strategy.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: September 18, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »
I proposed getting rid of food, too. I don't really think it adds anything. Given the ratio of cities to rurals, and the food surplus we've been running, you've already got to be screwed before it matters. And if it did matter, then it would become overpowering.

From what I've seen so far, food has been nothing but a minor distraction. It adds nothing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #58: September 18, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »
Yeah. I feel the same. Food doesn't seem to add too much depth. Just makes people constantly check on food or make at least one person be stuck in the capital managing food.

I am sure once your looting WIP section gets added, it will be a lot different since you can temporarily cripple a region :D

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: September 18, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the old war island didn't have a food economy did they? And I also think it detracts from the spirit of the island. It's like an ever looming shadow over your realm's war efforts.