Author Topic: "If you are not given the link, then you should not be using it."  (Read 3735 times)

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I got this message after clickin on the "vulgarity" link, on a message my adventurer got from a noble.  My guess now is that, as an adventurer, he shouldn't have the option to report vulgarity.  But the link was there.  So perhaps the message should be different?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It definitely should. Please report this on the bugtracker so I don't forget about it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Do we wish to change the message? Or should it more correctly not provide the link to advies in the first place?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Do we wish to change the message? Or should it more correctly not provide the link to advies in the first place?

I think that's a reasonable subject for discussion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

this is a topic I've been thinking to bring up for a while - since I've rejoined the game this time, I've noticed a really serious increase in the  level of foul language & people who feel that is acceptable. I'm not referring to off-color remarks or the occasional "!@#$".

There has always been confusion about the vulgarity button - the difference  between "inappropriate for a noble" and what we would call vulgarity,  largely because the button isn't named well.

But sadly, I think we need to consider separating the two and making a place to report things that go beyond "nasty IG comments" even if done in character.

Another issue I'd like to see addressed - unfortunately, because it is happening so often - are people who discuss these vulgarity complaints against them in foul OOC posts - knowing that there is no vulgarity button on OOC & that it usually doesn't warrant a Titan complaint on it's own, so they can say whatever they want with impunity.

I think I see a few easy suggestions, but I'll just leave it out there for discussion for now.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
this is a topic I've been thinking to bring up for a while - since I've rejoined the game this time, I've noticed a really serious increase in the  level of foul language & people who feel that is acceptable. I'm not referring to off-color remarks or the occasional "!@#$".

There has always been confusion about the vulgarity button - the difference  between "inappropriate for a noble" and what we would call vulgarity,  largely because the button isn't named well.

But sadly, I think we need to consider separating the two and making a place to report things that go beyond "nasty IG comments" even if done in character.

Another issue I'd like to see addressed - unfortunately, because it is happening so often - are people who discuss these vulgarity complaints against them in foul OOC posts - knowing that there is no vulgarity button on OOC & that it usually doesn't warrant a Titan complaint on it's own, so they can say whatever they want with impunity.

I think I see a few easy suggestions, but I'll just leave it out there for discussion for now.

Believe it or not—if I'm reading you right—I quite agree, and I've been thinking about this issue, too.

I'm seriously considering introducing a new rule for the next incarnation of the War Island, one similar in nature to SMA: a requirement for all players to remain civil, violation of which can be reported to, and punished by, the Titans.
Timothy Collett

Jens Namtrah

Actually, we are speaking about slightly different things (although I'm sure there's plenty of overlap).

There's a definite OOC need for that; there's an IC need, but I worry about being able to play "nasty" characters if it is too strict.

What I'm actually referring to are things like:

(IC):

"I'M GONNA !@#$ YOUR WHORE MOTHER"

(OOC):
"Well !@#$ your pussy prima donna ways. I'm gonna keep !@#$ing saying that !@#$ all I want to."

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I don't really think either is acceptable.  :o
And weren't you the one who used to quite eloquently condemn all rape references in roleplay? Weird.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Actually, we are speaking about slightly different things (although I'm sure there's plenty of overlap).

There's a definite OOC need for that; there's an IC need, but I worry about being able to play "nasty" characters if it is too strict.

What I'm actually referring to are things like:

(IC):

"I'M GONNA !@#$ YOUR WHORE MOTHER"

(OOC):
"Well !@#$ your pussy prima donna ways. I'm gonna keep !@#$ing saying that !@#$ all I want to."

Then I think we're on the same page entirely.
Timothy Collett

Jens Namtrah

Then I think we're on the same page entirely.

Great - thought you meant more of the early Ikalak days stuff. Although I have no idea what all went on in there, so maybe it was the same.