Author Topic: Noble captured in battle can not be reappointed to his lordship after 5 days?  (Read 9346 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
No no no.
If I'm not mistaken you can only appoint unlanded knights. That means if a lord wants to switch regions they would have to step down first before they can be appointed. Knights would also have to give up their estate so they can be appointed.

Isn't it a quick button press to give up those appointments though? I think any knight can be promoted doesn't matter if they have an estate or not.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
A knight can only be made lord of the region he holds an estate in, otherwise he does  not show up as an option to appoint.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
A knight can only be made lord of the region he holds an estate in, otherwise he does  not show up as an option to appoint.

Well of course, his oath is to the previous Lord/Region, the abuse otherwise would be rather simple.

Perhaps what is needed is an appointment system that requires the knight/lord to accept. Then in theory the offer to appointment could be sent to anyone, and accepting could take care of incidentals like giving up their last position.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Sounds unnecessary. No need to reinvent the wheel. The current system isn't broken, so why fix it?
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Eirikr

The one thing I like about the acceptance check is that it also allows for refusal or inactivity... Reappoint an inactive lord and the debuffs aren't resolved immediately. Also promotes turnover of positions.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
The one thing I like about the acceptance check is that it also allows for refusal
You can already refuse to accept local lordship positions. There is an option under the Politics > Paperwork section for lordship.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
You can already refuse to accept local lordship positions. There is an option under the Politics > Paperwork section for lordship.

Yeah, but I've been playing for years and constantly forget that there even IS a paperwork section. Nor does that resolve all the scenario's that Eirikr listed. Currently we limit the pool of who can be promoted, and while its not hard to get your chosen appointee onto that list, I see no reason why the whole thing couldn't be streamlined a bit more.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah, but I've been playing for years and constantly forget that there even IS a paperwork section. Nor does that resolve all the scenario's that Eirikr listed. Currently we limit the pool of who can be promoted, and while its not hard to get your chosen appointee onto that list, I see no reason why the whole thing couldn't be streamlined a bit more.

It's not a section one needs to visit all that often, if at all, since elections were changed to referendums.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eirikr

WHAT?! Oh man, I did miss that... But it's also a blanket refusal, right? And it has to be manually set by the "recipient"... so that wastes the opportunity for an inactivity mechanic, most useful in cases where the player actually unexpectedly cannot return for some time. Adding in this step means you don't have to wait for the automatic boot again. You can just choose someone else and if the original candidate returns and the lordship is taken, well now there's some natural turnover. (Potential risk of increased placeholder cases, though.)

Alternatively, on an RP angle, maybe I only want a certain region and am holding out for it? I know, in practice, most appointments are discussed beforehand, but in the case of a surprise, why am I forced to go through the "step down" process for a lordship I never wanted?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It'd be nice if those in power could click to "propose" a position to someone, which in turn would require him to accept it.

It seems ridiculous to impose a h/p hit when a lord of a shoddy region wants to get appointed to a city lordship and needs to "step down". Forcing people to abandon their estates feels equally overly bureaucratic and adds nothing to gameplay, just frustration.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It'd be nice if those in power could click to "propose" a position to someone, which in turn would require him to accept it.

It seems ridiculous to impose a h/p hit when a lord of a shoddy region wants to get appointed to a city lordship and needs to "step down". Forcing people to abandon their estates feels equally overly bureaucratic and adds nothing to gameplay, just frustration.
My point exactly.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Chénier and I agree, now if Delvin does too the world will IMPLODE.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Well, look who all is behind the times.

I've been talking about implementing exactly that feature for over a year now.

*FOOMP*
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Well, look who all is behind the times.

I've been talking about implementing exactly that feature for over a year now.

*FOOMP*

Yeah that probably fell within my "trying to break my BM habit" time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
It does provide an opportunity to betray someone into giving up a lordship with promises of a better one, and then refusing to give it to them after they step down. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.