Author Topic: group hunting  (Read 4501 times)

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
group hunting
« Topic Start: September 18, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
Hello;
When hunting for the
bad guys/ monserts and so on/ and I want to send a location report. To whom do I address it/

As well, Anis can you tell me the best way to GET AHEAD in this game, wither as a adventurer or a NOBLE.

Thanks in advance
scotty/
La Turn family in game

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: group hunting
« Reply #1: September 18, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
As a noble, the best way to get ahead is to always trust your friendly neighborhood Himoura.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 18, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »
LOl>> himoura?????????
scotty/
La Turn family in game

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 19, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
If you have to ask, you can't afford them.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 22, 2014, 04:13:24 AM »
More helpfully...

You should send adventurer investigation reports to your fellow adventurers, or whatever adventurer guilds you are in. There should be a 'all nearby adventurers' link on the Message page somewhere.

The best way to get ahead for either adventurer or nobles is to write letters to many, many people. Stabbity here places the Himoura family, known for political intrigues, hence his suggestion. Adventurers should write their fellow adventurers and the lords of whatever regions they visit. Nobles should write all levels of their realm hierarchy and foreign nobility. The best way to do the latter is to join guilds and religions with your character. Also, for what its worth, I'd recommend focusing on the noble game more, as a new player. It's what BM is primarily made for, the advy game being more a sidegame. BM is a social game and nobility is where you find people and topics to write; advy is much quieter, slower game and I wouldn't recommend it until you've played the noble game a bit. Finally, try lots of realms. If you find a realm boring, move on (join other realm on island or leave island for another island).

As far as realms I've heard positive things about the 'funness' (which will be different for each person), I'd include Riombara, Thalmarkin, Luria Nova, D'hara, and Taselak as possible places to look into.

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 22, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »
EXCELLENT!!
Just the type of advise I was looking for. Correct me if I am wrong but a player can only play 2 Nobles I think. At present I have two Nobles and two advs.. . Just as you say/ the advs lives are a bit boring. About all yu can do is hunt monster and the undead.
One of my Nobles is a Noble in the army in D/Hara and the other is Lord/ Count of Garuk Udor. LOL/ not quit sure how I got the latter. I said I would run for the office but then I was notified I was the Lord. Would imagine there were no  takers.

Very confused now as to just how to operate the two. As Gideon La Turn / knight in the army in D/Hara, just what can I do,  not being in Udor playing the Lord count of Udor.
In many aspects this game is very dumb founding in that it is hard to understand.
But As you say, If I talk to enough people PERHAPS I will advance BUT it sure makes one wonder if the effort would be all that worth while.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Gideon La turn
scotty/
La Turn family in game

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 22, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
One of my Nobles is a Noble in the army in D/Hara and the other is Lord/ Count of Garuk Udor. LOL/ not quit sure how I got the latter. I said I would run for the office but then I was notified I was the Lord. Would imagine there were no  takers.

I had to check your player page because that confused me as you are not supposed to have than one noble on Dwilight. You have two nobles currently, one (Gideon) is indeed the Count of Garuck Udor, and he is probably also in an army of D'Hara, while the second noble (Edward) is a knight in Ikalak.

Very confused now as to just how to operate the two. As Gideon La Turn / knight in the army in D/Hara, just what can I do,  not being in Udor playing the Lord count of Udor.

You are always the Count of Udor, that is a title you bear. You will see some commands reserved to Lords in the "Politics" and "Commands" sub-menu; some of these options are only available when you are in your own region (e.g. buildings), others everywhere (e.g. tax settings) and others only when there is a marketplace in your current region.

Being a Lord does not stop you from marching with the army at the same time; all the options you had as a simple knight are still available.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 22, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »
But As you say, If I talk to enough people PERHAPS I will advance BUT it sure makes one wonder if the effort would be all that worth while.
BattleMaster is very free-form. There are no rigid objectives, goals, or "achievements". You set your own objectives. Do whatever you want to do. That can make it difficult to adjust to, as most people are familiar with the rigid structures set up by your typical game. (i.e. Conquer the Enemy, Achieve World Domination, Save the Kittens, etc.)

Ideally, you should come up with objectives, goals, motivations, etc., for your characters yourself. What do each of your characters want to do? Your Ikalak character is pretty easy for this: Help your realm win by defeating the other two realms. Your D'Haran character could have all kinds of different plans/motivations:
* Help D'Hara defeat the Lurians
* Become Lord of Qubel Lighthouse
* Defeat the monsters plaguing the western subcontinent
* Become ruler of D'Hara, and turn it into a proper monarchy or republic
* Spread Sanguis Astroism over the entire island
* Create your own religion to displace Sanguis Astroism from the D'Haran lands
* Document the history of the continent

Or you may want to pick a particular story you want to tell, or a situation you want to explore. Maybe you want to see what happens with a character with a particular character flaw or exaggerated trait. Lapallanch played his War island character as a midget wielding an oversize mace he calls his Toe Crusher.

Or you could just go with the flow, see what's happening around your character, and join in with whatever is happening.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 22, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply!!
I think going with the flow will be it for now/ but I would eventualy like to become a ruler of D/Hara.

La Turn
scotty/
La Turn family in game

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 23, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »
You indeed start out with two nobles. You can play more characters as time passes, your family earns fame, and other players give you trust, fun, and roleplaying medals. Or by donating money to the game.

The effort is definitely worth the while. Sometimes replies may be slow, but don't let it discourage you.

I recommend not sticking to specific character goals as much as playing character with certain outlooks/methods that affect how they deal with situation. Goals are good, and often in line with playing certain personalities, but I've found if a character only has a goal, you're less sure of what to do after achieving that goal, or the goal becomes so distant that it becomes more a struggle to play to achieve that goal than anything else. Just some ideas I've picked up playing over the years.

Also, to present a completely biased suggestion from some of indirik's suggestions (biased in that it favors my own character), but you could join Ecclesial Sanguiastroism  instead of founding your own religion. There should be a temple in Thar Gortauth, just south of your lordship.  ESA holds it as a religious duty to defeat the western monsters and recolonize the land.

As I said originally, joining religions and guilds will help gain foreign contacts and build bonds inside your realm and external to it. Other religions on dwilight include the aforementioned Sanguis Astroism, Bloodmoon Cult (you could probably join by visiting Aveston/Barca), and Verdis Elementum (in Fissoa). There are plenty of guilds around too. As you travel around, be sure to look in the Actions page to see what's available in your region.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 23, 2014, 06:21:20 AM »
Join guilds. Its the best way to learn about international politics. The Moot is a good guild for a D'haran lord to join. Sanguis Astroism used to be a great place to get a feel for continental politics as well but has become fairly stagnant and marginalized of late. Ecclesial Sanguiastroism is good if you want to make friends in Luria, but doesn't have much spread elsewhere (plus they're a bunch of dirty filthy heretics).

The most valuable thing is to be active in talking to people. The D'haran House of Lords, Barcans, Fissoans are all good people for you to talk to and learn what is going on with them. Read the wiki. D'hara has a wealth of tradition and some fairly solid internal politics. As much as I loathe him, Machaviel Chenier is a good person to talk to about the inner workings of D'hara (the other "institution" of D'haran tradition having long since been corrupted and turned traitor and is now paused).

Hell, make contact with Jonsu, she's usually keen on talking about the history of the continent and has more than her fair share of contacts.

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 25, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
thanks you gentlemen. I will take your advice. I take it I should join as many temples and guilds as possible and then decide which to concentrate on.
scotty/
La Turn family in game

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 25, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
You can only be a member of one religion at a time. If you wish to join a different religion, you must first leave your current one.

You can, however, join as many guilds as you want, and be members of all of them at the same time.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 25, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »
okay/ tta ta for the reply!!
scotty/
La Turn family in game

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 28, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »
Split post on webchat to a new thread.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan