Author Topic: Fine amounts  (Read 13803 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Fine amounts
« Topic Start: September 28, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »
Title: Increase allowed amounts for fines

Summary:

When a Judge imposes a fine on someone, he can choose an amount somewhere between 10 and 200 gold. For many this is little more than a pittance at which they can laugh. I propose that the ceiling be increased.

Details:

I propose additional options up to 1'000 gold. The exact ceiling can be discussed. There probably was a time when 200 gold was already extremely high. I think it is clear that there is on average more gold available in the game now, although I don't know by how much.

Note that I don't ask for the removal of the ceiling. A character who amasses 10'000 pieces of gold should be relatively immune from fines. However it seems it should be possible for them to hurt even a little bit.

Benefits:

Give some teeth to the fine option when dealing with rich characters.

Possible Downsides/Exploits:

This could be used to lay out crippling fine to a knight who doesn't actually have that much gold. This could be fixed if there was a moving cap at, say, the weekly revenue of the knight. However the page makes you decide the amount and the recipient at the same time, so I imagine that would be harder to code.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:21:47 PM by vonGenf »
After all it's a roleplaying game.