Author Topic: Having your character be a member of your family is IC, and inevitable.  (Read 11970 times)

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
My character Altagracia just became Countess of Poitiers.  One of the people I play with has complained that this was for OOC reasons, because my character has not interacted much, publicly.

I feel bad about the accusation.  Mainly, because being elected is not something I chose.  And frankly, there was no ooc discussion or planning to be appointed.  If I was going for ooc reasons, and pure strategy, I wouldn't have Altagracia run in the elections, as she gets a lot more gold as a dame of Kazakh.  But "Countess of Poitiers" is a title Altagracia would want.

The thing is, she IS a Driscol.  And the Driscol estate is in Poitiers.  And that is designed into the game mechanics, and thus whatever we do IC, we cannot deny that fact.  Also, whatever my character says, her family's history is automatically her background story.

So I'd really like it if, instead of resenting and accusing me of not roleplaying, you'd respond IC.  It's totally ok for your character to be upset that she was not elected, and to hate Altagracia for it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:01:03 AM by Gloria »

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Probably better sent in realm, than on here. A lot of people don't read the forums.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
So I'd really like it if, instead of resenting and accusing me of not roleplaying, you'd respond IC.
If you would like to handle this issue IC, what is the purpose of this thread?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If you would like to handle this issue IC, what is the purpose of this thread?
Because some people like to vent. Or to talk.

And, really, it's probably better to do that on the forums, instead of IG.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm all for talking. But so far it just looks like one player going to the forums to tell the entire community that the other player is an !@#$%^&.
Not cool, settle it IC indeed.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
I'm assuming that the whole "elections" talk is a miscommunication because Lords are appointed in Eponllyn. And I've seen no messages today or yesterday saying a new Lord had been appointed to that region, unless it's still in the planning stages?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I'm assuming that the whole "elections" talk is a miscommunication because Lords are appointed in Eponllyn. And I've seen no messages today or yesterday saying a new Lord had been appointed to that region, unless it's still in the planning stages?

Poitiers is in Nivemus.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Because some people like to vent. Or to talk.

And, really, it's probably better to do that on the forums, instead of IG.

This. Both. Because we're playing a game among friends.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
Poitiers is in Nivemus.

So it is. I must still think Westmoor exists or something. :P

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Or because the question can be discussed IG and here with two different perspectives.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I'm all for talking. But so far it just looks like one player going to the forums to tell the entire community that the other player is an !@#$%^&.

I can't see how when the other player is not named. This is a valid thing to bring to the Forum, if only to discuss how we as a community would like to see these matters resolved in the future.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I am in Gloria's realm. I understand what Gloria means. What Gloria meaning by IC, is actually that other player is voicing in OOC. Gloria wants the other player to voice IC, otherwise how can Gloria responds to OOC in IC way in game.

Please allow me to Bold the key points of Gloria first post for better understanding.

My character Altagracia just became Countess of Poitiers.  One of the people I play with has complained that this was for OOC reasons, because my character has not interacted much, publicly.

I feel bad about the accusation.  Mainly, because being elected is not something I chose.  And frankly, there was no ooc discussion or planning to be appointed.  If I was going for ooc reasons, and pure strategy, I wouldn't have Altagracia run in the elections, as she gets a lot more gold as a dame of Kazakh.  But "Countess of Poitiers" is a title Altagracia would want.

The thing is, she IS a Driscol.  And the Driscol estate is in Poitiers.  And that is designed into the game mechanics, and thus whatever we do IC, we cannot deny that fact.  Also, whatever my character says, her family's history is automatically her background story.

So I'd really like it if, instead of resenting and accusing me of not roleplaying, you'd respond IC.  It's totally ok for your character to be upset that she was not elected, and to hate Altagracia for it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:26:07 AM by Ketchum »
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

flames

• Knight
    • View Profile
Well, it is understandable that your character is a part of family, and it is logical that a person from respected family would get elected/appointed without much effort.

However, try to look at this from the other side. I am relatively new player and when I just came, I saw (and participated myself) a lot of elections where member of young unknown family would be very vocal and trying to run a nice campaign, but the title would go to a character from old family, who barely wrote a message. It is quite meh from the new players point (why the !@#$ should I ever try campaigning, if old player will get the title anyways).

Jens Namtrah

Well, it is understandable that your character is a part of family, and it is logical that a person from respected family would get elected/appointed without much effort.

However, try to look at this from the other side. I am relatively new player and when I just came, I saw (and participated myself) a lot of elections where member of young unknown family would be very vocal and trying to run a nice campaign, but the title would go to a character from old family, who barely wrote a message. It is quite meh from the new players point (why the !@#$ should I ever try campaigning, if old player will get the title anyways).

Oh, look! There's that old "cliques aren't a problem with player retention" issue rearing its ugly head again. Seems to pop up in the least likely of places.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I can't see how when the other player is not named. This is a valid thing to bring to the Forum, if only to discuss how we as a community would like to see these matters resolved in the future.
The players who are aware of the situation all know who is being implied here.
Those from different realms don't, yeah... But what kind of a discussion is expected here? Taking IC issue OOC is bad everyone knows that. Doesn't mean you should respond in kind.
Oh, look! There's that old "cliques aren't a problem with player retention" issue rearing its ugly head again. Seems to pop up in the least likely of places.
Cliques are a nasty word for a not necessarily bad phenomenon.
Basically, cliques are groups of players who've been playing together for a while and grew to enjoy it and trust each other. That alone is a actually a good thing and I'd say inevitable. It only becomes problematic when cliques become exclusive and elitists. But due to the shortage of active players most cliques are actually recruiting.
I'm comparatively new (less than six months) and all of my three nobles are landed. One of them has recently played an instrumental part in a rebellion and received a major city as a prize. But that's not even the point. I've found that just being a knight in an active and dynamic realm is more fun than being a Duke in a stagnant quagmire.
So, flames, if you are active and are fun to interact with you will start achieving your character's goals soon enough. If you're doing your best but being absolutely ignored - emigrate. That's the best advice I can come up with.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:50:16 AM by Constantine »