Author Topic: Fishing unaffected by season.  (Read 8956 times)

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
Fishing unaffected by season.
« Topic Start: June 01, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
I searched the forums and saw that no one else had brought this up before, so I would like to propose the following:

If a region's economy includes fishing, part of the region's ability to produce food should not be affected by season. Instead, the region should be able to constantly produce food by fishing. (Obviously, if the region also relies on farming, overall food production will still be vulnerable to season.) To balance this, fishing will also not get a season bonus -- and the region's ability to produce food will, of course, still be affected by other factors like population, production level, and looting.

This change will make coastal areas somewhat more desirable due to the ability to produce a steady supply of food in scarce times; however, I believe the change would not be overpowered because fishing would get no seasonal bonuses and therefore produce no more food in the course of the year than farming would, on average.

Disclosure: I am a lord in a region that includes fishing as part of its economy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:21:01 PM by Vaylon Kenadell »

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing unaffected by season.
« Reply #1: June 01, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
I would be curious to know if considerations like this might go into the New Economy system we have heard so much about? Judging by the experimental messages, food production will be part of it, so...

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #2: June 01, 2011, 11:31:33 PM »
Well, there actually are seasonal variations among certain species of fish...Just saying, you know.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 02, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »
I searched the forums and saw that no one else had brought this up before, so I would like to propose the following:

If a region's economy includes fishing, part of the region's ability to produce food should not be affected by season. Instead, the region should be able to constantly produce food by fishing. (Obviously, if the region also relies on farming, overall food production will still be vulnerable to season.) To balance this, fishing will also not get a season bonus -- and the region's ability to produce food will, of course, still be affected by other factors like population, production level, and looting.

This change will make coastal areas somewhat more desirable due to the ability to produce a steady supply of food in scarce times; however, I believe the change would not be overpowered because fishing would get no seasonal bonuses and therefore produce no more food in the course of the year than farming would, on average.

Disclosure: I am a lord in a region that includes fishing as part of its economy.

As far as I know, that fishing part of your economy does absolutely nothing right now. It was an early stage of the new economy system which has yet to be rolled out. It is a very good idea for when the system is completely implemented though.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 02, 2011, 12:22:15 AM »
It is an interesting idea, and one I would probably support. Different food production vectors having different seasonal bonuses and penalties.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #5: June 02, 2011, 12:31:16 AM »
Well, there actually are seasonal variations among certain species of fish...Just saying, you know.

Yes, but these migrations often do not coincide with the crop harvest season. Cod, for example, migrates in the winter, and medieval Europe traded heavily in dried and salted cod (as well as other stockfish), as it lasts for several years without refrigeration. Overall, I think food production from the sea would be constant over the seasons, as "fishing" represents a variety of seafood collection (including perhaps whaling, I imagine, and I can't even begin to tell you how lucrative and useful that is), rather than a particular species of fish.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #6: June 02, 2011, 12:33:20 AM »
It is an interesting idea, and one I would probably support. Different food production vectors having different seasonal bonuses and penalties.

What other food productions are currently being worked on? Farming and fishing I know of, and I believe hunting is one if I remember correctly. Are there others?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 02, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »
What other food productions are currently being worked on? Farming and fishing I know of, and I believe hunting is one if I remember correctly. Are there others?

Foraging, perhaps?

I'd also support this idea. How would fishing be affect by investing in a region? With crops, you can just buy more seed and plant it. But with fishing, it's difficult to say "we'll just catch more fish".

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 02, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
Foraging, perhaps?

I'd also support this idea. How would fishing be affect by investing in a region? With crops, you can just buy more seed and plant it. But with fishing, it's difficult to say "we'll just catch more fish".
"We'll buy more fishing boats."

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: June 02, 2011, 12:51:26 AM »
"We use the investments to start up fish farms."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 02, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »
Since investment only brings food production up to the region max anyway, it would probably just represent replacing the loses and damage to a fishing fleet.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: June 02, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
So all this is about the Nebulous new economy, right?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #12: June 02, 2011, 07:42:20 AM »
So all this is about the Nebulous new economy, right?

Yes, this is a suggestion for a feature that hasn't been implemented yet.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 02, 2011, 08:24:58 AM »
strangely, i thought hunting and fishing preceded "new economy" or dwilight (the seasonal stuff) by years.

back when in atamara, the food production bit mentions the % of the food from fishing/hunting/crops. i guess more like flavour than actually doing anything.

for that matter.. what about weather? drought shouldn't affect fish.
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 02, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
Yes, but these migrations often do not coincide with the crop harvest season. Cod, for example, migrates in the winter, and medieval Europe traded heavily in dried and salted cod (as well as other stockfish), as it lasts for several years without refrigeration. Overall, I think food production from the sea would be constant over the seasons, as "fishing" represents a variety of seafood collection (including perhaps whaling, I imagine, and I can't even begin to tell you how lucrative and useful that is), rather than a particular species of fish.

"Europe", as a whole, probably has a large enough variety of fish to fish all year long, but any particular region won't. The seasons will not be the same, but there are definitely seasons to fishing.

Whales are migratory too, so there is a whaling season.
After all it's a roleplaying game.