Author Topic: Judicial Punishments with Teeth  (Read 15166 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Judicial Punishments with Teeth
« Reply #30: March 25, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
How about torture or ban punishment.It's like this:
Oance the sentence is given the noble has the following options:
A)accept torture-he has 3 days to do this after the sentence is cast.
B)Ignore sentence and get banned-this happens if he has not accepted torture in 3 days.
C)Leave the realm in 3 days.
The judge will receive no penalties for this torture since it is being done with the noble's approval.
He can also determine how severe the torture will be.

Being unconscious is worse than jail.At lest there are things you can do in jail.

Wouldn't work in any realm I've ever been in. Any character seriously RPed would hold a tremendous grudge against  the torturer.  Torture was probably the worst dishonor a noble could face.

Any judge that tortured a realmmate for anything else than high treason wouldn't remain judge for long.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 25, 2011, 06:59:58 PM »
Torture is not just a little bit of pain. People get scared, driven insane, maimed for life, or even during torture. I would put money on the fact that Tom will never add any kind of voluntary torture mechanic like this.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #32: March 25, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »
Think it this way. If an officer comes to your door and asks you if you would like to be tortured, would you agree? I highly doubt many would say yes to that.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 26, 2011, 07:29:16 AM »
Well, they don't have to say yes.They can just leave the realm or wait and be banned.
If there are personal grudges and a war breacks out-there is nothing wrong with that.

Oszero

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 27, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
How about, playing on the idea of giving judges the power to arrest nobles, instead of just allowing them to arrest whoever they please, there must be a warrant for their arrest, which can only be given out by the knight's lord or the ruler of the realm?

egamma

« Reply #35: March 28, 2011, 01:37:53 AM »
How about, playing on the idea of giving judges the power to arrest nobles, instead of just allowing them to arrest whoever they please, there must be a warrant for their arrest, which can only be given out by the knight's lord or the ruler of the realm?

Judges sign warrants. Perhaps a judge can sign a warrant, and any noble in-region with the 'outlaw' has a 10% chance of getting a "bring in noble for questioning" link.

Oszero

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 30, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
I was just thinking as an example. Say, if a knight has three bad marks against his name, along with being able to dissolve his oath, you could also put out a request for his arrest?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #37: April 06, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »
Gee, he's just a really bad knight, not a criminal...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 07, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
I was just thinking as an example. Say, if a knight has three bad marks against his name, along with being able to dissolve his oath, you could also put out a request for his arrest?

If he has done something serious enough to warrant more then just losing his oath, why not have him fined or banned?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 01, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »
If he has done something serious enough to warrant more then just losing his oath, why not have him fined or banned?

Because those measures are what we are trying to avoid because it ends up damaging the realm. It's kind of the whole point of this thread.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: June 03, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
I believe it's an honor and prestige penalty. And the amount you lose depends on how much you have.

And is considerable, hence why I often encourage the judge to do it, but never did it myself in my many days as judge. Didn't want to suffer that h/p loss.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 05, 2011, 05:30:25 AM »
Adding to the probability of a judge being able to successfully arrest a noble, maybe if the noble is in his own region, the chances would significantly drop that he would be arrested.  The noble would be able to board up in his estate, leading to some direct conflict.  The size of the estate, small, medium, large, or the lord's estate, could factor in as well.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #42: June 05, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »
If a noble is in his own region, or if any noble is in any region that belongs to his realm, he can't be captured, unless in battle, or he tries doing something like infiltration or trading. Also, you can't capture nobles outside of your realm's regions, unless in battle, infiltration, or trading. I asked.

So I'm not sure what, if anything, the estate is supposed to do. He can't be captured unless he's not part of the realm, in which case he wouldn't have an estate. But it might work if we apply family homes. Certainly the family would shield a noble on the run. Figure out where the character's family home is located, and no matter what, that acts as a safe spot.