Author Topic: Split: Discussion about Reputation Extensions  (Read 5169 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Someone (De-Legro, maybe? I forget) mentioned this extension a while back to fix our reputation troubles:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1890

Looks pretty good to me.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Yes, Good Post/Bad Post does look like it might work.

Also, there is this one:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1129
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Both of these appear to be worthwhile, but I doubt they are compatible. So let's discuss which one we want.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
The first one would still allow for griefing against active members of the board. Members like Vellos and Indirik post often enough that they could still be subject to massive negative reputation if one of more people decide to make a point of it.

The second mod provides a fix for this, as the moderators will be able to "fix" reputation griefing by deleting suspect actions and by using the senders reputation to determine what the effect is. The problem with that one appears to be that it logs the user name against the action. While I have no problem with that I know people have expressed that they wouldn't use the system if it isn't anonymous.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I've got no particular preference.  If it looks like the ARS is a more balanced system than GP/BP, then I'm perfectly happy to go with it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I prefer ARS, as it prevents "vengeance voting" more effectively. A person with highly negative rep can't as easily "get revenge" on someone by voting them down, as their negative rep will make their vote count less. If other respected forum members are repeatedly giving me bad feedback, I probably have a real issue, however.

The exact formula for ARS would be interesting to see to make this decision, but it might be better if it weren't widely publicized.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Some more opinions or is that all?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If it's compatible with the forum language and theme, then ARS looks like it would work very well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
I tried ARS, but it doesn't seem to work with the theme I'm using. :-(

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
The forum actually works fine without a reputation system.  ???
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
The forum actually works fine without a reputation system.  ???

Good point. As the current one doesn't work well, and there is no other that works flawlessly at this point, I'll simply disable it.