Author Topic: Letters as roleplays  (Read 7153 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Letters as roleplays
« Topic Start: June 02, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
When I've got little time, I'll often skip the roleplay messages and just read the other types of messages. But recently I've seen quite a few people tag things as "roleplay" when actually it's a letter to someone. I only noticed because one of those roleplays was addressed to my character as I was skipping past it. I went back through my messages and noticed I've actually skipped a lot of letters.

What do you all think about tagging what are obviously letters as being roleplays? How do you respond to them? Part of me says they should be ignored as the player might have meant them to be roleplays and not letters, but then the other part of me says I might be stopping things progressing because I'm ignoring things.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Letters as roleplays
« Reply #1: June 02, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
I've seen people do it when they post the letter to the realm, but only address it to single or group of nobles. The intent as I understand it is to share the role play, while attempting to make it obvious that it is intended to be IG knowledge for only the characters listed within the role play.

I can't see why you would do it in letters that are only sent to those "participating" in the RP, in general a letter written in character is a part of role play with or without the tag. Did the letter include any "actions" that would exist outside of the written text conveyed? That might be a reason.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 02, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »
The Roleplay message tag is specifically intended to be used only on narrative roleplays: that is, describing the actions of your character.  They are not meant to be letters sent between characters.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 02, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »
I hate it when people tag letters as roleplays, because I often skip roleplays when I'm pressed for time as well, and as Tim says, it's not correct.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 02, 2011, 08:59:36 AM »
Indeed, technically speaking every message you send (except designated OOC, of course) is "roleplay" because you should be writing In-Character and as your character. I've always understood the "roleplay" tag/designation be primarily for narrative stories, etc.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 02, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Indeed, technically speaking every message you send (except designated OOC, of course) is "roleplay" because you should be writing In-Character and as your character.
I've known people who have insisted on sending everything tagged as "roleplay", because they are always roleplaying their character.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 02, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
I've known people who have insisted on sending everything tagged as "roleplay", because they are always roleplaying their character.

I had a General once who did that.

And then yelled at us for not following orders.  Because we didn't notice that they were orders.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 02, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
easy change would be to just call it narrative instead of rp...
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 03, 2011, 12:30:21 AM »
easy change would be to just call it narrative instead of rp...

Indeed, though it's a sad thing if such a change is needed, imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 03, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
Actually, when this issue came up on the dev list about two years ago, Tom gave the go-ahead to remove the signature from roleplay messages, which I never got around to doing.

I have now done so.

It's not a huge thing, but it should at least help to show that Roleplay messages are not letters.
Timothy Collett

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 03, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
Is there anything else we can do to show that they're not letters? I still think that people will use them as letters without the signature - they could even just add their own signatures.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: June 03, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
Not much to do really. If people don't understand what a roleplay is, perhaps due to language, then we can explain when we encounter them. If it comes from someone who continually insists on using gold letters, then there's just no cure for that.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 03, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
Sure there is. OOC ban them.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: June 04, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »
OOC bans are for blatant rulebreaking, and even then it's not really used. Tell you what, how about you become a ruler and try it, and report what, if anything, happens to you.

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 06, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
Actually, when this issue came up on the dev list about two years ago, Tom gave the go-ahead to remove the signature from roleplay messages, which I never got around to doing.

I have now done so.

It's not a huge thing, but it should at least help to show that Roleplay messages are not letters.

Finally! /me hugs Anaris