Author Topic: Character Classes and One's Estate  (Read 18251 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Character Classes and One's Estate
« Topic Start: October 07, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
Huh?

That's a really bizarre way to try and provide incentives. If someone ever tried doing that, I think the Titans should have a discussion about whether it was an IR violation or not. For now, though, it's just too bloody convoluted for me to wrap my brain around it.
Of course its convoluted, and no one would ever do that. But according to your explanation, it would be perfectly legal.

I think your logic is flawed in that it would permit a realm that didn't want any of a given class (or unit type, or people going to a tournament, or inactive people) to order all estates for people in that group to be made large, and any time someone left that group, they could simply order the estates shrunk to be pointlessly small.
I don't have to screw around with estates if I want to persecute infils/priests. I could blanket ban all priests in my realm, simply because I despise organized religion. Or I can blanket ban all infiltrators because I think they're scum. Neither one of those is an IR violation.

Replace the class in that with going to a tournament, commanding a certain unit type, or maintaining a certain level of activity, and tell me if you think it still stays within the IRs.
Doesn't work. IRs are not interchangeable like that. I am specifically forbidden from offering people incentives to not go to a tournament, because it is their IR to do so. But I *am* allowed to offer people incentives to recruit infantry, even though it is their IR to recruit whatever they want. I can also offer people incentives to change class, even though it is their IR to be whatever class they want. But I can't offer them incentives to move within the last 30 minutes before turn change.

Also, if I don't want anyone to recruit a specific unit type, I can just tear down all the RCs of that type in our realm. Not an IR violation. We've also had the discussion about priest class and temples. I can forbid someone from leaving the realm borders, and even ban them for doing so, even if their reason is that they want to leave the realm to go to a temple of their religion to become a priest.

I see the whole active/passive distribution of the gold as a red herring. It shouldn't matter whether the distribution is manual or automatic. I want to give a bonus/incentive for people who are warriors. Whether I choose to do that by manually handing out gold or making warrior's estates bigger should have absolutely no bearing at all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.