Author Topic: Character Classes and One's Estate  (Read 18231 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Character Classes and One's Estate
« Reply #15: October 07, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
While I agree with your premise (the income disparity created by the estate-based tax system), I disagree with your conclusion (junk it and go back to communism).

I believe that the estate system is fundamentally a good one, and creates the right feel of medieval feudalism for the game.

However, I do believe that we need to provide more ways to allow players to balance the system out more. One of the big ones is part of the "duchy infrastructure" concept I came up with years ago, before we had gotten rid of the (disastrous) previous estate system: basically, create a pool of income for the duchy, which is then divided evenly between regions come tax time (or even just between regions that don't choose to contribute to the pool, instead—thus allowing rich regions to only give, and poor regions to only take), thus allowing a generous Margrave to subsidize the Counts in his duchy. That gold would go straight into the tax pot of the receiving region, and thus be distributed among its knights in proportion to their estate sizes.

It's not the same thing as the communistic system. But I don't think that's a bad thing.

Yes, it brings a good "feel". But gameplay-wise, I still think it did more harm than good, and that we made too many sacrifices in the name of realism that sapped the team spirit that made a lot of things fun.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron