Author Topic: Character Classes and One's Estate  (Read 18421 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Character Classes and One's Estate
« Reply #15: October 08, 2014, 03:56:21 AM »
Aren't they?
Probably not, as regards the situation I described. You may have the right to be whatever character class you want, but that does NOT mean that you don't have to bear the consequences of your choices. If you choose to be an infiltrator in a realm that despises infiltrators, you should NOT expect to be treated just like any other character. You *will* be reviled, you may be kicked out of estates, and you could quite possibly be banned. Too bad for you.

Inalienable rights are not blanket shields that are intended to protect you from the consequences of your own actions, or from any and all fall out relating to the choices you make. You have a right to be as active or inactive as you want, and no one can use that against you. But if your activity causes you to suck as a marshal/general/ruler/lord, then the players in your realm have every right to criticize your character based on their performance of their duties, or lack thereof.

What you're proposing here is that someone can be shielded and immune from all the consequences they could possibly face as a result of some of their choices,  by simply claiming that it is somehow vaguely related to the IRs.

I think either of those should be reported to the Titans for IR violations, and the Titans should consider the specific facts of the case.
Well, of course each case needs to be discussed and decided upon its own merits. But if a realm I was in decided to ban all infiltrators, I probably wouldn't even think of reporting it, unless there was something else going on. Like, maybe I thought there was some ulterior motive, and this was targeted at some particular character's class change.

Turn it around, Indirik. Say no one ever gave you a bigger estate just because you changed your class to Cavalier. But then, when your Lord notices that you've changed your subclass to Diplomat, they reduce your estate size, and tell you if you want your bigger estate back, you'd better change back to Cavalier as soon as the timeout expires.
That is NOT the situation the OP described. You are describing a clear and obvious penalty based on a class change. There was never any bonus in this that could be taken away. Just a flat out penalty. Even so, if the lord had simply said something like "I don't give such large estates to diplomats", he might have been OK.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.