Author Topic: 'Dying' status  (Read 14091 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
'Dying' status
« Topic Start: June 02, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
Does being 'dying' mean that my character will eventually die? The text that I read when I play that character makes it sound like there's still hope, but how much hope is there? And how long will it be before my character finally goes to the great beyond?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: 'Dying' status
« Reply #1: June 02, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
I suppose it means dying as in Homeros' dying: a sword is sticking out of your chest, but you still manage to deliver a whole speech if you want to. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 02, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
No, your character will not die. "Dying" simply means that you have an extremely bad wound. Only heroes can die from wounds, and they will die instantly in combat. So if your character survives the battle, they're not going to die.

As an aside, I thought that the "dying" indicator had been removed...  ???
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 02, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
Does being 'dying' mean that my character will eventually die? The text that I read when I play that character makes it sound like there's still hope, but how much hope is there? And how long will it be before my character finally goes to the great beyond?

What continent are you on?  And what class are you?

If I remember how I coded it correctly, what it means is you're mortally wounded, and you have one last chance to recover or die from your wounds at the following turn.

However, that only applies where mortality is enabled—which it isn't, right now.  So basically, it means you're as wounded as it's possible to be, and it will take you a long time to recover.

I believe heroes and adventurers, when they die, always go straight to "dead" status, so you shouldn't be seeing it there.

Um...and I thought I switched it so that when mortality is not enabled, "dying" status would show up instead as just more "critically wounded." I could be misremembering that, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 02, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
What continent are you on?  And what class are you?

Colonies & Hero.

Reading message, I found out she survived the battle but was stabbed by an infiltrator.

I guess I've just got a very long time to wait. She's 58 so I'm not expecting a quick recovery.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 03, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »
Only 58! You'll be fine.  It took Gregor a little under 7 days to recover his last simple wound... that was a boring 7 days where I thought he might lose being Duke from inactivity (PS - What the hell is that about? I logged in as him jeesh).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 03, 2011, 01:33:07 AM »
Only 58! You'll be fine.  It took Gregor a little under 7 days to recover his last simple wound... that was a boring 7 days where I thought he might lose being Duke from inactivity (PS - What the hell is that about? I logged in as him jeesh).

What does logging in have to do with it?

He's not able to perform his duties; therefore, he can be removed from his office.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 03, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
What does logging in have to do with it?

He's not able to perform his duties; therefore, he can be removed from his office.

I seem to remember the message that appears for OOC inactivity and IC inactivity (prison or wounded) is the same. It can be confusing; I tend to have OOC reactions to OOC events. The text could be changed.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 03, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
I seem to remember the message that appears for OOC inactivity and IC inactivity (prison or wounded) is the same. It can be confusing; I tend to have OOC reactions to OOC events. The text could be changed.

It's not identical, but it is pretty similar...and that's because from an IC perspective, the situations are nearly identical.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #9: June 03, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »

It took 7 days to recover from a "simple wound"?  That's a little ridiculous.  Are you sure it wasn't a serious one?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10: June 06, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
It took 7 days to recover from a "simple wound"?  That's a little ridiculous.  Are you sure it wasn't a serious one?
Out-of-Character from Zoe Agenor   (1 day, 10 hours ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (97 recipients)
I've just been inactive for 7 days because of being wounded, and still Zoe is in lightly wounded condition. Now I get this:
_
You have returned to active duty. You are in Bisciye.
It will take about 8 days for your wounds to fully heal. During this recovery time, you may not be as active as normal.
_
SAY WHAT!

I guess she was suffering from a serious wound. Also the char is 54 years old. But 6,5 days before even being able to read and respond to letters combined with another period of 8 days to fully recover seems to be a long time. I do not know if it is normal, but I thought it might be good to bring it up.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 06, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
My recent wounding wasn't quite that bad. I got a normal wound which worsened three times in a row to Serious, then stayed there for almost three days. After I recovered enough to read messages I was told it would be 5 days before I fully recovered.

Wounds have become a lot worse. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It used to be that your character could shrug off anything that didn't flat out kill you, in only a day or two. Even the worst Serious Wounds took only maybe two days. Three tops, but you could almost always communicate on the second day. Made wounds kind of useless.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 06, 2011, 10:50:26 PM »

It started as a simple wound, went serious, then critical, never got dying though he was critical for two days or so.  Maybe because he's on Stable?

Age really ups the chances that any wound will be nearly deadly.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: June 07, 2011, 08:11:12 AM »
Okay, then there's no bug.  If the wound got worse, then the wound got worse, it's no longer a bug of "simple wound forever".
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Laurens88

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 09, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
Out-of-Character from Zoe Agenor   (1 day, 10 hours ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (97 recipients)
I've just been inactive for 7 days because of being wounded, and still Zoe is in lightly wounded condition. Now I get this:
_
You have returned to active duty. You are in Bisciye.
It will take about 8 days for your wounds to fully heal. During this recovery time, you may not be as active as normal.
_
SAY WHAT!

I guess she was suffering from a serious wound. Also the char is 54 years old. But 6,5 days before even being able to read and respond to letters combined with another period of 8 days to fully recover seems to be a long time. I do not know if it is normal, but I thought it might be good to bring it up.

Yeah Zoe is my char, but I don't think it's the coding.... Tom just hates me :P