Author Topic: Player-imposed government rules and IRs  (Read 3888 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Player-imposed government rules and IRs
« Topic Start: October 23, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
Back in the days, the original Khthon had a rule where only heroes were eligible for government positions, except for banker.

Khthon eventually died, and was formed again. This rule was reinstated (though maybe it was only for rulers then).

That Khthon eventually died again, and it was later reformed under the name of Bara'Khur, which I'm pretty sure reinstated the rule, at least for the ruler and at least at the beginning. I think they added a clause to allow cavaliers as well.

No one ever raised a fuss about this. As far as I know, no titan complaints were ever made, it was never criticized on the message boards or on the forums, but that wasn't because people didn't know about it, as it was fairly-well advertized as the flavor of the realm, the "land of heroes" and all.

That was a while back, however, and sensitivities have somewhat changed. Player-imposed rules of governance, that used to be a lot more common back then, are also considerably more infrequent nowadays. So I'm wondering, would this still be allowed as it was back then, or would it be judged as a breach of the class-choosing IRs?

I personally wouldn't mind as long as it's done IC. The issue with these type of rules usually come when people start trying to impose them on an OOC level, to preserve the flavour and history of the realm.

If a non-hero tries to run for rulership, you're allowed to refuse to vote for him, but you shouldn't send OOC messages asking him to switch class or drop off the race "because we've always done it that way". And it is possible that he wins, and if he does then you can drop the rule or rebel, but you can't act as if he didn't actually win because it violates the player-imposed rule.
After all it's a roleplaying game.