Author Topic: More Election Options  (Read 6109 times)

McManus_Clan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
More Election Options
« Topic Start: November 01, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »
It seems like elections always run at the same time every month. It would be cool if a realm could choose to 'stagger' their elections, so only one runs at a time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: More Election Options
« Reply #1: November 01, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
It seems like elections always run at the same time every month. It would be cool if a realm could choose to 'stagger' their elections, so only one runs at a time.

You mean for quarterly election? January is ruler, February is judge, March is general, and April is banker, then repeat?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 01, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
I would hate to be in a realm like that. Election fatigue is already bad enough with monthly elections.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 01, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
I would hate to be in a realm like that. Election fatigue is already bad enough with monthly elections.

Why is that?

How would 1 election per month be more fatiguing than the standard 4 per month (in realms that do use elections)? As it is, very few realms use quarterly elections, as far as I know.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 02, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »

If such a suggestion was added to the game and implemented by a realm you were a part of, then it would simply be a motivation to either move on to another realm that suits you better or take action to change how things function within your own realm. I certainly do not see this as a reason not to add such a feature to the game as there are obviously some player that would actually enjoy it.

All the same, there are a lot of features that I would rather see implemented before a feature like this. Heck I even feel that all of own feature suggestions are also very low priority like this one. There is just so many more important things in my opinion. None the less, I think that this is a good suggestion and that people should keep making such propositions.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 02, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »
Why is that?

How would 1 election per month be more fatiguing than the standard 4 per month (in realms that do use elections)? As it is, very few realms use quarterly elections, as far as I know.

I think that the proposed change would not work like that. Same number of elections per month, just staggered.

Ruler, General, Judge and Banker set to monthly elections right now:
Week 1: No Elections
Week 2: No Elections
Week 3: No Elections
Week 4: Ruler, General, Judge and Banker Elections Occur

Ruler, General, Judge and Banker set to monthly elections per my understanding of the proposed change:
Week 1: Ruler Election Occurs
Week 2: General Election Occurs
Week 3: Judge Election Occurs
Week 4: Banker Election Occurs

In either case four elections occur each month.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 02, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I think that the proposed change would not work like that. Same number of elections per month, just staggered.

Ruler, General, Judge and Banker set to monthly elections right now:
Week 1: No Elections
Week 2: No Elections
Week 3: No Elections
Week 4: Ruler, General, Judge and Banker Elections Occur

Ruler, General, Judge and Banker set to monthly elections per my understanding of the proposed change:
Week 1: Ruler Election Occurs
Week 2: General Election Occurs
Week 3: Judge Election Occurs
Week 4: Banker Election Occurs

In either case four elections occur each month.

Okay, right, eww. But I kind of like the idea of staggered quarterly elections.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 02, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Well, I think that the idea is to be able to set and stagger elections at any and all time intervals...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 02, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
Well, in any case, I can't see such an implementation being a bad thing. If some combinations are bad, people won't use them. If they do... they might get protested, and it's not really dramatic if they don't. Too many elections? Better than too few.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 02, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
I agree, all a mater of personal taste. Just one more factor that might one realm more or less desirable than another.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 07, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
Staggering different months for each position is already possible, theoretically, in a roundabout way.  "Simply" change the position to elect each month when you want it to have an election that month, and leave it as appointment or elect once when it's not desired to vote for it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 07, 2014, 01:14:38 AM »
Staggering different months for each position is already possible, theoretically, in a roundabout way.  "Simply" change the position to elect each month when you want it to have an election that month, and leave it as appointment or elect once when it's not desired to vote for it.

That's atrocious.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 07, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »
Indeed, but it should be mechanically possible, if the OP is looking for alternating months.  Whether it's esthetically pleasing to see the routine posts about government changes or if it would be deemed as allowable from a titan or GM standpoints aside, I'm just pointing out that it can be done with player guided actions.  If they are driven to do it but the code is not there, nor is it forbidden, then they do have options.

McManus_Clan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 07, 2014, 04:44:27 AM »
I didn't know there were quarterly elections, but yes, one per month as opposed to all of them every four months would be a lot more fun if that were the case. I think it would be nice to have the option, so realms could focus on one debate at a time, instead of four.

Or, be able to set the elections individually for each position, like if a realm wanted to have a quarterly election for ruler but a monthly election for other positions, or whatever combination the people who make a realm deem appropriate.

Or, to make it simple, just set the number of months between each individual election when you make a realm, so for instance you could set 10 months for every General, 2 months per Banker, 6 months per Judge, and 1 month per Ruler, or whatever other crazy configuration you want.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 07, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
I didn't know there were quarterly elections, but yes, one per month as opposed to all of them every four months would be a lot more fun if that were the case. I think it would be nice to have the option, so realms could focus on one debate at a time, instead of four.

Or, be able to set the elections individually for each position, like if a realm wanted to have a quarterly election for ruler but a monthly election for other positions, or whatever combination the people who make a realm deem appropriate.

Or, to make it simple, just set the number of months between each individual election when you make a realm, so for instance you could set 10 months for every General, 2 months per Banker, 6 months per Judge, and 1 month per Ruler, or whatever other crazy configuration you want.

One can already set different mandate durations for the different posts, for example, banker for life and appointed, ruler elected for life, general elected monthly and judge elected quarterly. This doesn't cover every example you've mentioned, but some of them.

Personally, I'm quite fond of quarterly elections. I think they offer a fair compromise, monthly elections create too much election fatigue and democratic expectations while unelected positions tend to put people in power that remain there far longer than they remain active and contributive to their realms.