Author Topic: Ruler questions  (Read 2873 times)

retipuj

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Ruler questions
« Topic Start: November 05, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »
So, one of my character just became a ruler (my first time ever), and I have a few questions. So I'll just jump right in:

1) Where can I change the government system of the realm? I am talking about the realm being a Tyranny, or Monarchy, or Republic, etc, and not the way council positions are elected. When I go to the government system tab under politics, I can only update the realm's full name, title system, and lord and council selection. When do I get to change the actual government system?

2) If I create a new duchy from a city that already has a Lord, will that Lord automatically be promoted to Duke? If not, then can I appoint myself as Duke?

3) A ruler without an estate cannot found a new army, is that right?
Corvian Family

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Ruler questions
« Reply #1: November 05, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
So, one of my character just became a ruler (my first time ever), and I have a few questions. So I'll just jump right in:

1) Where can I change the government system of the realm? I am talking about the realm being a Tyranny, or Monarchy, or Republic, etc, and not the way council positions are elected. When I go to the government system tab under politics, I can only update the realm's full name, title system, and lord and council selection. When do I get to change the actual government system?

You don't.

This is only possible when the realm is in anarchy. There are two ways to get the realm into anarchy: either have it completely fail a ruler election, or lead a successful rebellion that takes the palace by force. (The ruler stepping down to let the rebellion succeed will not result in anarchy.)

2) If I create a new duchy from a city that already has a Lord, will that Lord automatically be promoted to Duke?

Yes.

3) A ruler without an estate cannot found a new army, is that right?

I don't know offhand if this is true, but if it is, it's quite silly, and should not be the case. As far as I'm concerned, a ruler should always be able to found a new army. So if you find that you can't, please report it as a bug.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 05, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
A couple clarifications:
1) Where can I change the government system of the realm? I am talking about the realm being a Tyranny, or Monarchy, or Republic, etc, and not the way council positions are elected.
You don't.

This is only possible when the realm is in anarchy. There are two ways to get the realm into anarchy: either have it completely fail a ruler election, or lead a successful rebellion that takes the palace by force. (The ruler stepping down to let the rebellion succeed will not result in anarchy.)
Changing the government options that you *can* change, such as how positions and lordships are elected/appointed, will change nearly all aspects of the day-to-day government operation. The only thing that won't change is the name of the government style, and some of the mostly-transparent underlying mechanics. Things such as the ruler's daily location bonus, and a few other less-obvious things.

2) If I create a new duchy from a city that already has a Lord, will that Lord automatically be promoted to Duke?
Yes.
The new duke will remain lord of the region as well. He can then step down and appoint someone else as lord if he so desires, but does not have to. The new duchy will also only have a single region, that being the region in which the new duchy is created.

As far as I'm concerned, a ruler should always be able to found a new army. So if you find that you can't, please report it as a bug.
To the bugtracker!

My EC character is ruler, and not a lord or duke. He has no option to found a new army.

It should be noted that if your ruler is *already* the sponsor of an army, then *all* army options are open to them, including the option to create a new one. It's just those poor sods that don't already have one that are locked out of creating one.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 05, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
A couple clarifications:You don't.

Changing the government options that you *can* change, such as how positions and lordships are elected/appointed, will change nearly all aspects of the day-to-day government operation. The only thing that won't change is the name of the government style, and some of the mostly-transparent underlying mechanics. Things such as the ruler's daily location bonus, and a few other less-obvious things.

The new duke will remain lord of the region as well. He can then step down and appoint someone else as lord if he so desires, but does not have to. The new duchy will also only have a single region, that being the region in which the new duchy is created.
To the bugtracker!

My EC character is ruler, and not a lord or duke. He has no option to found a new army.

It should be noted that if your ruler is *already* the sponsor of an army, then *all* army options are open to them, including the option to create a new one. It's just those poor sods that don't already have one that are locked out of creating one.

There are three positions that allow you to create an army
  • General
  • Lord
  • Duke

2) If I create a new duchy from a city that already has a Lord, will that Lord automatically be promoted to Duke? If not, then can I appoint myself as Duke?

Yes with one exception I think. If the City/Townsland/Stronghold is currently without a Lord then attempting to make it a Duchy will allow you to appoint a Lord to it from a list of candidates.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:30:29 PM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Eirikr

« Reply #4: November 06, 2014, 12:47:43 AM »
So if you find that you can't, please report it as a bug.

O/T, but how often is the bugtracker checked these days? Should a forum post go along with each bug? I know things have priorities and there's a lot of bugs to work through - I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time... I'm just wondering if I can RP why my hero has 3 family graves. :P (Head, torso, and legs to different parts of Beluaterra, maybe?)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 06, 2014, 01:08:42 AM »
O/T, but how often is the bugtracker checked these days? Should a forum post go along with each bug? I know things have priorities and there's a lot of bugs to work through - I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time... I'm just wondering if I can RP why my hero has 3 family graves. :P (Head, torso, and legs to different parts of Beluaterra, maybe?)

For something that's urgent, you should post to the forum or contact me one way or another.

Once I finish testing the Looting Overhaul and send it live, I do plan to do a slog through the bugtracker and try and track down some of the worst of the bugs that are currently extant.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #6: November 06, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
Great, thanks!