Author Topic: Age of Wonders  (Read 4918 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Age of Wonders
« Topic Start: November 25, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
Does anyone still have that game?

I would sure like a 500x500px .jpg sample of each terrain type.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders
« Reply #1: November 25, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »
Anaris has it. He completely redrew the South Island map in order to get the current incarnation going. I understand it's on Steam?

I have a copy of AoW2: Shadow Magic around, but haven't played it in forever. Does it have a map editor? I wonder if it has other graphics that might help make a map more unique.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 25, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/File:AoW_Extra_Samples.jpg

Even the original game had some stuff that wasn't found in any BM maps.

But I'm looking for plain terrain... I did that sample image a long time ago, when I had the software on my computer.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: November 25, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
Anaris has it. He completely redrew the South Island map in order to get the current incarnation going. I understand it's on Steam?

I have a copy of AoW2: Shadow Magic around, but haven't played it in forever. Does it have a map editor? I wonder if it has other graphics that might help make a map more unique.

Yeah it does. I have AoW3 and it also has a map editor >:D though graphics changed quite a bit and probably won't be good for BM since cities are too big.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 25, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
Those samples on the Wiki are worthless for making maps. They are much too low-resolution. Look at the large-sized maps on the Wiki; that will give you an idea of what size stuff you actually need.

Frankly, I'd just buy AoW if I were you. Works great under Wine if you don't have Windows, and it's only $6, IIRC.

Also, if you want to get a map approved for use by the dev team, don't just go and make one all on your own. Talk to us (or at least me), propose some layout ideas.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 26, 2014, 02:31:02 AM »
Those samples on the Wiki are worthless for making maps. They are much too low-resolution. Look at the large-sized maps on the Wiki; that will give you an idea of what size stuff you actually need.

Frankly, I'd just buy AoW if I were you. Works great under Wine if you don't have Windows, and it's only $6, IIRC.

Also, if you want to get a map approved for use by the dev team, don't just go and make one all on your own. Talk to us (or at least me), propose some layout ideas.

I don't really want to use the map editor, not for anything else than just getting samples of each terrain types.

Making maps in AoW, or through copy-pasting, is a tedious process, as one then needs to draw corresponding polygons. And then, with every minor tweek... huge hassle doing it all over.

With polgygons, I can just change a value in the table and that region instantly turns from rural, to woodland, to anything else. Much quicker to toy around.

AoW sequals aren't great, though. When graphic quality increases to add more depth and 3Desque look, textures don't work as good.

As for the resolution... I don't really think it's that much of a problem... The resolution of the original geographic maps was ridiculous, way higher than necessary. My screen is pretty large and with good resolution, and they don't fully display on it.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 26, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
I have Age of Wonders (GOG.com) and Shadow Magic (CD). I'll try and see what I can get for you.

EDIT: They are all in .ILB format, no idea how to open those and google just brings up some sketchy results. Would screenshots of the textures placed in the editor work?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:38:38 PM by Ossan »
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 04, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
http://www.gog.com/

For those interested, it has been brought to my attention that the original game of Age of Wonders is available for free, in limited quantities, on GOG's front page. They are also selling all of the other games of the franchise with large discounts.

I figured it might interest others as well.

browndu

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 15, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
I find a funny free game, named One Piece Online. You have a try if you like. [spam link removed / Tom]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:28:18 AM by Tom »