Author Topic: Last.fm profile thread  (Read 6732 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Last.fm profile thread
« Topic Start: February 28, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
Hello.

So any of you using Last.fm, make sure to join the Battlemaster group. Click here

Now once you've done that, reply and post a link to your profile for all to see so we can pick on your music taste ;) My Last.fm Profile.

For those who don't know what Last.fm is, it's a music streaming service and it also allows you to create some nice charts on the music you've listened to. It has plug-ins for various players so you can use it with your own music collection as well. All in all a nice service.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Last.fm profile thread
« Reply #1: February 28, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »
I'm already in the group. I don't scrobble much these days. I mostly listen to an internet radio station that doesn't stream titles to its tracks. Well, the last.fm rules forbid scrobbling live streams, but my player will do it anyway. :p Too bad the station doesn't stream titles...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: February 28, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
What's last.fm?  I tried to use it but I wasn't able to...  is it like Pandora?

Peter
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 28, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
It's a music site where you send the information on the music you listen to (title, artist, etc.), called "scrobbling". You can get plugins for most music players, and a lot of them have it built in. Then after you start playing music, you can go to your last.fm profile and it shows you what you played, and suggest other things you might like, based on what you've played. You can also play a personal "radio station" based what you've listened to in the past. Or you can listen to other people's stations based on what they've played.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: February 28, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
I see, so would I control what I get to listen to?  And is there a conspiracy to take over my identity from the music I listen to? :P

Peter
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 28, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
In a way, you can control it. If you see a song you like that someone else has listened to, you can listen to it. But as a free user, I don't think you can build your own playlists. Paid users can, I think. But half the fun of it is seeing what it thinks you might like. And if it gives you something you don't like, I'm pretty sure you can blacklist the song or band so you never hear it again.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: February 28, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
Sounds interesting, trying scrobbing right now.

Peter

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 01, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
Joined the BM group; wraith0x29a

I love LastFM, it's great idea well executed. My computers and phone all scrobble whatever I listen to but sadly my car stereo does not and that's where I listen to 90% of my music.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 04, 2011, 05:45:55 AM »
I've had an account for years, but stopped scrobbling a few years ago and recently started again. Interesting to see how my tastes have changed.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.