Author Topic: Free and instant realm scout reports?  (Read 10461 times)

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Free and instant realm scout reports?
« Topic Start: June 04, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (Though I would be surprised if it didn't), but why, when one looks under realm and regions under information and click on any region in the realm, does it display all the troop leaders and units within that region?  It seems a little unfair anyone, say a infiltrator, trying to move through the region without being detected.  It doesn't seem realistic that every single noble in an entire realm can be tracked simultaneously without a noble in some regions or a scout report.  If the military section could be removed when viewing a region under realms and regions, this could be solved.  From what I understand, if enemy units approach a region, the lord of that region gets a message saying "enemy approaching" anyway.  This could also present a good RP opportunity where the only information about a possible infiltrator is a noble in a region where a warehouse just burned down and who doesn't have scouts.  Any other thoughts?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Free and instant realm scout reports?
« Reply #1: June 04, 2011, 11:30:25 PM »
From what I understand, if enemy units approach a region, the lord of that region gets a message saying "enemy approaching" anyway. 

Really?

The other stuff makes some sense though. But this might be another fun vs realism conflict. Scouting border regions can be cumbersome as it is, why would you want to need to scout your own realm's regions?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 04, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
No, this is intentional.

Infiltrators are not ninjas.  If you want to be successful, you need to generate plausible deniability.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 05, 2011, 05:36:08 AM »
Even still, it's incredibility cheap that you have perfectly accurate information on all nobles in every region of your realm, even in region you have nothing at all to do with.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 05, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »
Why is it?  Nobles are important and with the change in how infiltrators work, even they are prominent.  It's basically impossible to avoid notice when you're one of the thousand most important people in the world.  Villagers tend to remember that kind of stuff.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #5: June 05, 2011, 06:12:52 AM »
Why is it?  Nobles are important and with the change in how infiltrators work, even they are prominent.  It's basically impossible to avoid notice when you're one of the thousand most important people in the world.  Villagers tend to remember that kind of stuff.

Which has nothing to do with why another noble 500 miles away would instantly know about your presence.

Unfortunately, irishlad222, this one's been argued to death for years, to no avail.  It's how they want the game to function, so there you have it.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 05, 2011, 06:17:15 AM »
Same way we instantly receive messages from a few thousand miles away over uninhabited lands crawling with monster hordes and undead armies.  No, it doesn't make much sense, but that's how the game is.

Honestly, I'm not entirely certain why we get the sort of half-scout reported versions of our own regions.  I remember being rather surprised when it happened.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #7: June 05, 2011, 06:27:11 AM »
Same way we instantly receive messages from a few thousand miles away over uninhabited lands crawling with monster hordes and undead armies.  No, it doesn't make much sense, but that's how the game is.

yes, but this is NECESSARY to game play. Being able to see the military tab of all regions is not.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 05, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
However, it's pretty important when you're fighting a war . . . so realms are going to want to keep all their regions scouted.  But they don't normally have nobles everywhere, so they have to assign people specifically to do it.  They're not going to pull experienced, reliable nobles commanding big units off the front lines, though, so who gets to do it?  The newbies.  And that's not a good way to keep players.

Anyways, that's one possible argument.  You could also just say it's 'home field advantage,' and that all realms have a network of scouts inside their borders -- which makes complete sense.

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 05, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
Maybe if it was restricted so only nobles that are somehow related to a region (lord, knight, standing in the region, religious leaders with major influence in the area) could see a detailed report.  Having a home scout network makes sense, but lesser scouts would only report to their direct superiors anyway.  This could add a thick layer of RP and give some responsibility to otherwise apathetic region lords/knights.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: June 05, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
To a small extent, this happens already. Only the lord and knights of a region get to see the distinct numbers in the morale, loyalty, and production stats when doing the region check.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #11: June 05, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
To a small extent, this happens already. Only the lord and knights of a region get to see the distinct numbers in the morale, loyalty, and production stats when doing the region check.

Exactly. So extend it to the military tab, and you're away.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 05, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
You could also just say it's 'home field advantage,' and that all realms have a network of scouts inside their borders -- which makes complete sense.

That's pretty much it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #13: June 05, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
That's pretty much it.

Sure. But that would be rationalizing what's already been done, rather than asking if it really needed to be done in the first place.

Do you think that's what Tom had in mind when he set it up that way?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 05, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »
Don't know. It's possible. And he has since explained it that way. But when he did it, he didn't consult me first.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.