Author Topic: Free and instant realm scout reports?  (Read 10464 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Free and instant realm scout reports?
« Reply #15: June 05, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
Really?

The other stuff makes some sense though. But this might be another fun vs realism conflict. Scouting border regions can be cumbersome as it is, why would you want to need to scout your own realm's regions?

Yes, you sometimes get information that enemies are approaching. It's usually useless and arrives too late, though.

Also, checking the region tab gives you imprecise numbers, and doesn't give you any idea as to movement of said troops. You need scouts for that, and that is extremely important information to have.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 06, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »
yes, but this is NECESSARY to game play. Being able to see the military tab of all regions is not.

No it is not necessary to have instant mail in BM, its not realistic at all (if you want to use your argument). They could instead have the mails take set times dependent on location and status of receiver, if it crosses rogue or enemy lands etc etc etc.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #17: June 06, 2011, 12:04:39 AM »
No it is not necessary to have instant mail in BM, its not realistic at all (if you want to use your argument). They could instead have the mails take set times dependent on location and status of receiver, if it crosses rogue or enemy lands etc etc etc.

And how many players would we have after something like that is implemented?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 06, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »
We probably wouldn't lose that many players, but everyone would just use other forms of Out Of Game communication.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #19: June 06, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
We probably wouldn't lose that many players, but everyone would just use other forms of Out Of Game communication.

Exactly. More realistic, delayed messaging has been discussed many times on the D-list, and that was the conclusion that was reached. That's what I meant when I said instant messaging was "necessary" to the game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 06, 2011, 01:56:30 AM »
So how many people here remember the attempt to implement delayed scout reports on testing islands? That was one of the worst ideas ever.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 06, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »
Delayed messages/ scout reports are a horrible idea, but how about only letting relevant nobles see what is going on in a particular region.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 06, 2011, 03:09:34 AM »
Delayed messages/ scout reports are a horrible idea, but how about only letting relevant nobles see what is going on in a particular region.
Why, so that every turn in active/strategy orientated realms I have to watch a bunch of lords post the current status of their region to the realm to make up for the fact that generals/marshals etc can no longer access it? I see that it "makes sense" but what would it really add to the game?

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 06, 2011, 03:38:11 AM »
It would add some responsibility to otherwise apathetic lords and knights and give plenty of RP potential.  Also, I think a lord or knight would only say something if there was something worth reporting.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 06, 2011, 03:45:42 AM »
It would add some responsibility to otherwise apathetic lords and knights and give plenty of RP potential.  Also, I think a lord or knight would only say something if there was something worth reporting.

What the Lord thinks is sufficient, and what the council scream at them to provide is VERY different. If we want to stop Lords being apathetic, how about giving them something INTERESTING to do, rather then more busy work?

In terms of RP, while the potential might be there, lets face the reality 90% of the post will be copy and pastes of the the region screen.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #25: June 06, 2011, 04:51:22 AM »
What the Lord thinks is sufficient, and what the council scream at them to provide is VERY different. If we want to stop Lords being apathetic, how about giving them something INTERESTING to do, rather then more busy work?

In terms of RP, while the potential might be there, lets face the reality 90% of the post will be copy and pastes of the the region screen.

Agreed. If the general idea of "either you are in the region, or you have scouted it" in order to see it doesn't work, then I'd rather just let it be.

These apathetic lords are typically just that - apathetic. I watched the entire Falasan army march through Saradic once while the lord just sat there and said nothing. You can't force people to become engaged, and if they aren't interested in any of the existing game possibilities, the "opportunity" to provide daily reports isn't going to stir their juices.

cjnodell

« Reply #26: June 06, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
As Chénier already mentioned, scout reports DO give more detailed information than can be otherwise acquired. If a foreign army was operating inside of a realm, I am sure that the realm would be actively scouting them and not simply rely on the information provided in the region details.

It only makes sense to me that there are networks upon networks of informants at work within the realms borders. As a prominent noble I would expect my staff to provide me with such information. Sure, all the little details of how all this information is gathered and distributed might be fuzzy, but that just leaves room for role playing how the information came into your hands.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 18, 2011, 05:40:21 AM »
As Chénier already mentioned, scout reports DO give more detailed information than can be otherwise acquired. If a foreign army was operating inside of a realm, I am sure that the realm would be actively scouting them and not simply rely on the information provided in the region details.

It only makes sense to me that there are networks upon networks of informants at work within the realms borders. As a prominent noble I would expect my staff to provide me with such information. Sure, all the little details of how all this information is gathered and distributed might be fuzzy, but that just leaves room for role playing how the information came into your hands.

One thing another thread made me think of, however, is that perhaps scout reports should also tell the movement of nobles without units. Even with an army of scouts you can't predict the movement of infils without units.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #28: June 22, 2011, 04:29:45 PM »
One thing another thread made me think of, however, is that perhaps scout reports should also tell the movement of nobles without units. Even with an army of scouts you can't predict the movement of infils without units.

They're already sacrificing a ton to be an infil without a unit in enemy territory, how much harder do you want to make it?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: June 26, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »
They're already sacrificing a ton to be an infil without a unit in enemy territory, how much harder do you want to make it?

They aren't sacrificing anything at all, as it'd be much, much easier to deal with them if they actually had a unit, regadless of movements showing up on scout reports or not.