Author Topic: What we need is young blood  (Read 16402 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: What we need is young blood
« Reply #30: December 29, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »
1. During the new character creation process you are guided all the way down to choosing an estate for your character. If you follow the process the whole way, you start with an estate.

2. Nobles without an estate can assign themselves to an army. This was not really the intended, ideal way for it to happen. It's a workaround. The original intent of this feature was to have a way to get those upper-level nobles without an estate (rulers, dukes, lords, etc.) a way to get into an army. It was applied to lower-level nobles to both ease implementation and to increase playability for characters without lords..

3. If your family is famous enough, then your characters start with enough H/P to be assigned to lordship, and perhaps even a ducal title, from day one. Aside from that, yes, it can take quite a bit of time for a new character on a new account to accumulate enough H/P to be able to get a lordship. This is highly realm-dependent. Some realms have lots of opportunities

Overall, though, you're correct in that delivering this information to new players is critical. It's hard to present in a timely manner before/during account creation without blasting a new player with a wall of text that many (most?) won't read. Then when they're done and have already created the character, those pages are no longer accessible. Quite a few players have used the wiki to document this stuff before. But it's hard to keep it updated with various game changes.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: December 30, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »
I would really rather not start with a unit at all or at least have it be optional.

Since the old conventional wisdom was to disband your starting unit ASAP I can understand this point of view.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: December 30, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
Maybe just crank up the stats of those units? The reason why they need to be dumped is because they suck.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: December 30, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
I would rather have 5 decent troops that 17 mediocre troops. Still, in the grand scheme of things this is really a minor issue.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 25, 2015, 02:38:45 AM »
 ::)

yawns

::)
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 25, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »
1. During the new character creation process you are guided all the way down to choosing an estate for your character. If you follow the process the whole way, you start with an estate.

2. Nobles without an estate can assign themselves to an army. This was not really the intended, ideal way for it to happen. It's a workaround. The original intent of this feature was to have a way to get those upper-level nobles without an estate (rulers, dukes, lords, etc.) a way to get into an army. It was applied to lower-level nobles to both ease implementation and to increase playability for characters without lords..

3. If your family is famous enough, then your characters start with enough H/P to be assigned to lordship, and perhaps even a ducal title, from day one. Aside from that, yes, it can take quite a bit of time for a new character on a new account to accumulate enough H/P to be able to get a lordship. This is highly realm-dependent. Some realms have lots of opportunities

Overall, though, you're correct in that delivering this information to new players is critical. It's hard to present in a timely manner before/during account creation without blasting a new player with a wall of text that many (most?) won't read. Then when they're done and have already created the character, those pages are no longer accessible. Quite a few players have used the wiki to document this stuff before. But it's hard to keep it updated with various game changes.

When I first started (was about 11 years ago or so) we had mentors, whom actively assisted the newcomers. Why was that removed actually?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 29, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
When I first started (was about 11 years ago or so) we had mentors, whom actively assisted the newcomers. Why was that removed actually?

In part because of a change to how classes worked, in part because of how most mentors ceased actually, you know, mentoring. Also in part because a lot of those wanting to mentor didn't want to opt for the actual class (because they were already heroes and couldn't, or wanted to be involved in religion as priests, or whatever other reason). It was determined that mentoring was an OOC thing, and IC mechanics weren't working too good anymore for it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 03, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »
While this can sound very stupid, why not "invest" in sites like 9gag!? There are a lot of "nerds" there. With th fame of GoT and Vikings, I think BM can find at least some good players.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 04, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
While this can sound very stupid, why not "invest" in sites like 9gag!? There are a lot of "nerds" there. With th fame of GoT and Vikings, I think BM can find at least some good players.

Good suggestion, two issues: 9gag is too mainstream, gaining interest through these platforms is not easy. Just posting a few memes won't suffice. Any concrete ideas?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 04, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
There have been many player-led initiatives in the past to try to recruit more players, over various platforms. I do not recall any achieving tangible results.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 05, 2015, 12:25:53 AM »
There have been many player-led initiatives in the past to try to recruit more players, over various platforms. I do not recall any achieving tangible results.

After my last post I made one on reddit - 18 upvotes. not exactly a success but perhaps one or two new players sign up. Maybe we should set up some kind of recruiting scheme where we agree to post regularly on these kind of forums and report on it here

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: May 05, 2015, 04:47:23 AM »
After my last post I made one on reddit - 18 upvotes. not exactly a success but perhaps one or two new players sign up. Maybe we should set up some kind of recruiting scheme where we agree to post regularly on these kind of forums and report on it here

I am glad to report at least one success! A player came on IRC earlier crediting reddit (and your post when further prompted) to directing him our way. They are a MUD and tabletop gamer, so seems a natural fit. They should be playing in Luria and Perdan, as I recall discussion going.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 05, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »
I am glad to report at least one success! A player came on IRC earlier crediting reddit (and your post when further prompted) to directing him our way. They are a MUD and tabletop gamer, so seems a natural fit. They should be playing in Luria and Perdan, as I recall discussion going.

huzzah!

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 05, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »

I'm assuming you're ignoring the bay12 forums...

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 05, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »
Good point. That's where I've heard about BM.