Author Topic: Open Mic Thread: How do you manage refugees?  (Read 21113 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You can hardly call most of those successful though. Most Tuchanons were swiftly destroyed by their neighbors, Coimbraheim was annihilated by the Titans after a week. There is Fronen, which I believe was refounded, and which is pretty successful.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
You can hardly call most of those successful though. Most Tuchanons were swiftly destroyed by their neighbors, Coimbraheim was annihilated by the Titans after a week. There is Fronen, which I believe was refounded, and which is pretty successful.

In name only.  The new Fronen might have a very few people who were at some point in the upper echelons of the old one, but by and large, it's a completely different realm, with everything but the name totally changed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
If you can, touchan.
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
How many realms have actually been successfully resurrected in BattleMaster?

Sartania on the Far East Island, though they managed to get the new realm destroyed fairly quickly.  Would have lasted if they hadn't had some really bad luck, made a couple of crucial mistakes, and chosen that godawful name.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile

Seriously? There's a really obvious one.

C'mon Tim. It's only your favorite realm in the game, in which you have invested more time than many of us invest in our careers. It starts with and R and ends in an iombara.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

Seriously? There's a really obvious one.

C'mon Tim. It's only your favorite realm in the game, in which you have invested more time than many of us invest in our careers. It starts with and R and ends in an iombara.

Beg pardon?

What, exactly, was this in response to?

Yes, Riombara was a realm that got resurrected.  It was refounded by a large number of its former members, based on the principles of its former realm.  Or so I was told.  I wasn't a member until after it was refounded.

Where did I attempt to deny this...?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
In name only.  The new Fronen might have a very few people who were at some point in the upper echelons of the old one, but by and large, it's a completely different realm, with everything but the name totally changed.

Absolutely. I was a part of both versions at different points in time, and close to the only other actually from the old Fronen that I am aware to have joined the new one. It really had nothing to do with the previous version, at all.

Hetland was a pretty accurate rebirth of (latter days) Plergoth, as far as I know, as they had all left for RoF together.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Beg pardon?

What, exactly, was this in response to?

Yes, Riombara was a realm that got resurrected.  It was refounded by a large number of its former members, based on the principles of its former realm.  Or so I was told.  I wasn't a member until after it was refounded.

Where did I attempt to deny this...?

You didn't. I was just surprised that, in a thread about resurrected realms, you hadn't already mentioned Riombara.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Hetland was a pretty accurate rebirth of (latter days) Plergoth, as far as I know, as they had all left for RoF together.

For what it's worth, I consider the destruction of Hetland to have been one of the greatest things to have happened in BM, and not for any IC reason, but because the realm itself was insulting from the moment "inspiration" for the name struck.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Didn't they name Hetland after a BM player who died?  How is that insulting?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Didn't they name Hetland after a BM player who died?  How is that insulting?

Because 1) the realm was a total disgrace, but mostly because 2) they claimed that any attack upon their realm was an attack upon the player after which it was named. They seriously accused us of disrespecting that player on at least one occasion, two though I believe. Just because of how pathetic that realm was.

Not all of them, mind you, but some of them did. The vocal ones, at least. That realm felt like it was populated by inbreds, the shear outrageousness of some of their OOC whining and complaints really brewed a deep disliking for them among myself, ^ban^, and a number of others.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Reminds me of that WoW-player who got a funeral in game, and it got trashed by a PvP clan. Never mix IC and OOC :S

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Asylon has chosen to be united and diverse, we have no choice, Caerwyn is a behemoth to the north, Zuma a mystery and Terran too far away to help us.  It makes for a very interesting realm for politics and religion, since now we welcome a 3rd religion into our kingdom.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Smaller Island means bigger fun!  Just ask the refuse... err I mean Refugees in the colonies.

Smaller Island means bigger fun!  Just ask the refuse... err I mean Refugees in the colonies.
The tight nit nature of the Colonies means that a sudden influx of nobles from failed rebellions or a fallen realm can turn the tides of alliances.  So many realms deny entrance to them.

Others like Lukon (Voted the most likely to destroy your realm, steal your cheese and your mothers undies and voted second most likely to eat your liver...loosing first place to OTilog of course) accept the refugees in with open arms...in the hopes that the real trouble makers will piss us off and get a nice fat ban.
We do enjoy our public executions.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
Wait, Riombara was resurrected? When was that?

As for other successful resurrections, I'm told that Thalmarkin was in significant part a refounding of Ar Agyr. Surely there's been a few in Dwilight?
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus