Author Topic: Open Mic Thread: How do you manage refugees?  (Read 20956 times)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
All the way back during the First Invasion Riombara fell. It was recreated afterwards, I believe.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
There haven't really been any outright resurrections on Dwilight yet. I think Morek Empire would probably be the closest. But the original "Morek" realm never really "fell". It expanded, absorbing Springdale, then reformed into its original, smaller size through a secession of the original Morek capital. That formed "Xinhai" in the same regions as the original "Morek". Tom later renamed it to "Morek Empire", but refused to give it back the exact original name.

There have been two or three realms in the Rettleville area, but they weren't really resurrections of old realms. Same with D'Hara being in the same place as Shadovar. Same location, completely different realm.

Niselur will eventually (hopefully?) be recreated in the Darfix area. I hope to convince them to use a variation of the original name, though.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

Springdale's "continuation" is sort of Summerdale. (Fitting name. If Summerdale falls, will we see an Autumndale next?)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
As for other successful resurrections, I'm told that Thalmarkin was in significant part a refounding of Ar Agyr. Surely there's been a few in Dwilight?

When AA fell it's nobles split into two factions, one joining Old Grehk and one Melhed. AA's lands were then divided, Old Grehk took Vore, Jedinchel and Vatrona and Melhed worked their way up to Lin Helon. OG's AA exiles then joined with Riombaran and OG nobles to found Thalmarkin in Nuzanki and Sandefur and Melhed's AA exiles founded Valentia in Unger.
Valentia interestingly was the first and only realm ever to seize to exist because of the Duke of it's single duchy (which was also their king) changed allegiance to Melhed when they saw the Old Grehkian army nearing.
They seceded at the start of the first invasion and were then crushed by daimons or undead or whatever roamed those lands back then. So you can add Valentia to the list of refounded realms as well, even if one is more successful than the other.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
There have been two or three realms in the Rettleville area, but they weren't really resurrections of old realms. Same with D'Hara being in the same place as Shadovar. Same location, completely different realm.

D'Hara was formed by Shadovarians. Mind you, ruling elites came and went in waves. Personally, I consider the D'Hara/Shadovar conflict to be nothing else than a civil war, as it was due to a split within a ruling gang that caused a lot of bad blood and bitter fighting. Both parties had come to the lands hand in hand, as far as I know. It's the impression I got from them in the days, at least. I tend to consider Shadovar as being part of D'Hara's history, though I think I'm the only one left in the realm that actually once bore the Shadovarian flag.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
D'Hara was formed by Shadovarians. Mind you, ruling elites came and went in waves. Personally, I consider the D'Hara/Shadovar conflict to be nothing else than a civil war, as it was due to a split within a ruling gang that caused a lot of bad blood and bitter fighting. Both parties had come to the lands hand in hand, as far as I know. It's the impression I got from them in the days, at least. I tend to consider Shadovar as being part of D'Hara's history, though I think I'm the only one left in the realm that actually once bore the Shadovarian flag.

I though the main characters that ended up forming D'Hara were the banished PeL rebels? Didn't they rebel in Shadovar, put one of their own on the throne, then had a failing out and split? I arrived in Shadovar only 2-3 days before the whole thing happened. I seem to recall I joined the realm at your suggestion.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I though the main characters that ended up forming D'Hara were the banished PeL rebels? Didn't they rebel in Shadovar, put one of their own on the throne, then had a failing out and split? I arrived in Shadovar only 2-3 days before the whole thing happened. I seem to recall I joined the realm at your suggestion.

I thought Shadovar itself was formed by PeL rebels? The rebels and old government really seemed to have a love/hate relationship, they really felt betrayed (the secessionists as much as the loyalists) when the whole thing blew over. I'd look it up the wiki, but the server's being !@#$ again.

We did indeed arrive at about the same time. I'm the only guy still there, though. I figure the wait paid off. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I thought Shadovar itself was formed by PeL rebels? The rebels and old government really seemed to have a love/hate relationship, they really felt betrayed (the secessionists as much as the loyalists) when the whole thing blew over. I'd look it up the wiki, but the server's being !@#$ again.

We did indeed arrive at about the same time. I'm the only guy still there, though. I figure the wait paid off. ;)

Got the wiki to work. Ain't all too clear. But I do seem to remember that almost everyone from Shadovar ended up merging into D'Hara, minus the judge who caused the whole mess in the first place.

In other words, Shadovarians were assimilated into D'Hara either by allegiance or by force. I therefore see it as being a continuation. After all, that rebellion resembled the next one quite a lot.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

As I recall (and it was quite a while ago, so I may be misremembering), Shadovar was an unofficial Pian colony.  We didn't support it, but it wasn't our enemy.

After Verus Luria and Katayanna's rebellion, her and Kaennji's supporters largely left for the islands, and it was they who founded D'Hara.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

I kinda explained the D'Hara thing a long time ago...

But first let me say that the original Shadovar rebellion was performed by Mathias Ridder, who enlisted the help of Yoruk Bronzeweasel. Apparently Yoruk got shafted immediately after the rebellion was successful. lol @ Mathias for stabbing his friends in the back.

A few posts back someone explained the situation with Madina's capital.

As for D'Hara, it went through several adjustments since the original Shadovar rebellion. Katayanna seceded to form D'Hara. Later Cenarious rebelled and became the Dragon King in 2008. In 2010 or sometime recently Cenarious disappeared and now there's a new guy. Ask D'Harans for details.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I kinda explained the D'Hara thing a long time ago...

But first let me say that the original Shadovar rebellion was performed by Mathias Ridder, who enlisted the help of Yoruk Bronzeweasel. Apparently Yoruk got shafted immediately after the rebellion was successful. lol @ Mathias for stabbing his friends in the back.

Yes Artemesia, both Chénier and I were present in the realm for those events. The question is more, was the succession of D'Hara the formation of a totally new realm, or was it one of those successions that are more to undermine a few powerful nobles so the realm can get back on track. My memory was that most of Shadovar supported the succession, but we did need to lead a few armed missions in to completely reclaim the land. This was shortly after Mathias Ridder was bolted, I think for abusing an OOC ban as the ruler. Of course he later became a Duke in the realm and caused many problem with the whole SA vs The Way of The Dragon.

songqu88@gmail.com

D'Hara was Katayanna's idea. Later Mathias joined with D'Hara. Who would ever know the truth about the intentions behind a realm. You'll get about 20 different accounts, one (or more) for each player there.

I know there was conflict between Katayanna and Edith though, because Edith kept doing nothing. Later on Edith was talking about how her family seal was in Darfix, and how they were eating people or something and she was trying to get a crusade going against daimons. So, I guess she wasn't exactly the most stable of the Shadovar group.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
D'Hara was Katayanna's idea. Later Mathias joined with D'Hara. Who would ever know the truth about the intentions behind a realm. You'll get about 20 different accounts, one (or more) for each player there.

I know there was conflict between Katayanna and Edith though, because Edith kept doing nothing. Later on Edith was talking about how her family seal was in Darfix, and how they were eating people or something and she was trying to get a crusade going against daimons. So, I guess she wasn't exactly the most stable of the Shadovar group.

It's Katayanna, there was conflict between almost EVERYONE and Katayanna, unless you were completely under her control. D'Hara's formation was simple, after the rebellion in Shadovar, the new Judge tried to ban Katayanna, so she judged what support she had, and split off her Duchy to preserve her power based. Had the ban not been a issue, Shadovar would have continued on in name and spirit.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Got the wiki to work. Ain't all too clear. But I do seem to remember that almost everyone from Shadovar ended up merging into D'Hara, minus the judge who caused the whole mess in the first place.

In other words, Shadovarians were assimilated into D'Hara either by allegiance or by force. I therefore see it as being a continuation. After all, that rebellion resembled the next one quite a lot.

I was banished for requesting that the elders of Shadovar receive better treatment from the D'Haran rebels. My ban was lifted later but by that time I was already in Terran and never to return to my old home.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

songqu88@gmail.com

Come to think of it, there was some guy in Shadovar who tried to take over Sallowtown by his lonesome and failed. Then he got banned by Edelstein. Was it Hericus? For some reason I think it was Hericus.

But that goes to show, those people on the islands have been trying for Sallowtown for a long time, intermittently though.