Author Topic: Attack on Sasrhas!  (Read 61705 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Attack on Sasrhas!
« Reply #15: January 09, 2015, 08:04:29 PM »
I disgaree. Arcaea has been too big for any other single realm to fight for a while now - for at least for the past five years or so.
That's debatable. But even if we accept it as true, there were coalitions of realms that could stand against Arcaea. Cathay and Kindara together did one hell of a job. If it hadn't been for the glacier, the island would look a hell of a lot different than it does now. It's more than likely that without the glacier, Imperial domination would never have happened.

But has that made the island boring?
Large portions of it, yes. Look at Ohnar West and their 5 nobles for 7 regions. (They picked up a couple after Kindara dissolved.) Look at Coralynth and their... what... 8 nobles for 10 regions? These are realms that have been strangled by a single year of strict imperial control. Ghost towns.

But now things are unlocked, and supposedly wars are allowed. Maybe things can finally start taking a turn for the better. But as soon as we try and resume a war that was forestalled by strict imperially-decreed diplomacy, we hear rumours that Arcaea is planning to step in and stop it. And if that happens, then I have to wonder what's the point of being on the FEI at all?

Now, maybe that won't happen. Maybe Arcaea will let Sorraine wage war on Ohnar West, and they're really just pissed at Coralynth. (And now that I've finally seen some of the messages IG, I can see where Arcaea might be a bit pissed at them.) If that's the case, then we will have to see how Arcaea handles it. (And no, I don't have any ideas there.)

Was the massive, continent-wide war we just had boring?
To be brutally honest, yes. At least the past year, if not more, was excruciatingly boring. All we've been doing for quite a while is going through the motions. We marched where the Emperor told us to march, when he told us to march there. We attacked when we told to attack, and went home for refit when we were told to refit. I finally got into what I *thought* was the top of the command structure where I *thought* decisions were being made, and got a big surprise. Oh look, all the orders and strategies are dictated by the emperor himself, with no discussion or consultation with his allies. All of Arcaea's allies were being handed explicit orders with no opportunity to contribute to the war effort.

As the general of Arcaea's largest and strongest allied realm, I was relegated to the task of shuffling messages back and forth between the Emperor (who whenever possible simply issued orders to everyone in the region anyway) and the marshal of my army. My messages to Arcaea's general were *never* answered. (In fact, I don't think I *ever* saw a message from whoever was keeping that chair warm.) All contact with Arcaea was through the Emperor, personally.

So, yeah. It was mostly boring. I understand that you may not have felt that way. But for Sorraine, and Coralynth, and Ohnar West ... why do you think two of those three realms have practically collapsed from lack of nobles, and the third is on its way there?

I don't know where the island is going from here. Today, it doesn't look good. But the real test is how things develop over the next week or two.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.