Author Topic: Attack on Sasrhas!  (Read 61677 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Attack on Sasrhas!
« Reply #30: January 10, 2015, 02:38:32 AM »
Did you try to contribute to the war effort? Did you put forth your own ideas about what you thought should be done?

Yes, actually, I did. And my letters to your general went unanswered. When I finally got to the forum where I assumed discussions were taking place, there was only silence. So, no discussion, unanswered letters, and lots of orders. Was it that way the whole war? I don't know. I can only say what I experienced. But that the impression I got was that's pretty much how it went the whole time. But I could be wrong.

Not once, ever, has Velax dictated that everyone will do exactly as he says and will brook no opposition
I never said he did. Yet that's the impression that was given.

If you thought your only option was to do as you were told and never made the effort to do anything different, then that's on you. I can't force people to put forward their opinions; all I can do is give people the opportunity to.
See above.

That's all water under the bridge now, though. It's what happens from here on out that counts.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kainaq

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 10, 2015, 06:34:59 AM »
I have been following the forum on and off since I got back to bm but this forum thread has spurred me to join the forums here.  In truth it's rather annoyed me.

While I can't speak for my predecessor I have been sitting in the generals seat in Arcaea for the past 8 months.  During that time Coralynth has made 0 attempts to contact me.  The only messages I have not answered are more recent ones which a) were questions directed at the council as a whole that I could not answer as an individual and b) it was over the Christmas/new year period so everyone is super inactive.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:29:31 PM by Kainaq »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 10, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
General's channels are traditionally pretty quiet. Most generals prefer to fight than talk. But even besides that, why would they contact you? You guys haven't been fighting anything, as far as i know. I did talk to their general quite a bit in the past month or two. But then about a week ago he suddenly quit.

Kainaq

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 10, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »
Ah my mistake, your character is from Sorraine.... Still the same principle applies, I haven't been in contacted by Sorraines General either.  Unless I have horribly misunderstood I thought you had claimed to of been trying to get into contact with Arcaeas General and had received no response.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 10, 2015, 07:57:55 PM »
I have not tried recently. I haven't needed to do so.  This was back during the end stages of the war. I don't remember who the general was at the time.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 11, 2015, 02:02:59 AM »
It was the same person as now.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 11, 2015, 02:18:29 AM »
Well hey, there you go.

Why didn't you answer my letters? >:(

Kainaq

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 11, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »
I can't respond to letters that I have not seen.

While it's not impossible that I could of missed your letters I'm usually pretty thorough when checking my mail box....  What with all the political shenanigans that go on in Arcaea.  I swear I spend more time putting out  fires then actually being a general :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 11, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »
Well it was several months ago. And if you missed them back then, it's not like you would remember them now. Anyway, there's a new war going on now. Fun for all!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 12, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
Had Coralynth and Sorraine declared war on Ohnar West and then marched, I don't think Arcaea would be mobilizing right now.  Moving under a banner of peace and then declaring war is the kind of despicable act that motivates all kinds of people to put aside other objections to fighting.

Regarding the Order of the Hawk, by the way, Jenred absolutely made sure the provisions had teeth.  I can recall two nobles fined, and one banished from Arcaea itself, and recall similar incidents with various Arcaean allies where Jenred made it clear there would be consequences to the violators or he would switch Arcaea's side in the war.  During the Aenilian war we conducted a field execution of one of the Duke's units after the player misclicked and used one of the forbidden looting options.  To be clear, this was a Duke, with over a hundred men, during an active war, while we were sitting in Larmebsi conducting a takeover, who had to disband his troop and RP an execution of them for violating his orders.

There were at least two occasions where Jenred arranged food "sales" for one gold per hundred bushels as recompense for unauthorized looting.

And I can't tell you how many times Jenred and Velax got into arguments about some of the restrictions that Jenred ended up settling by royal fiat over the protestations of his General and most of his Marshals.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 13, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »
The Order of the Hawk absolutely had teeth - but only when Jenred was around. He was its teeth.

As soon as Jenred disappeared from the picture the Order of the Hawk disappeared from sight - because no one was committed enough to its principles to ensure they carried on being enforced. So all I'm saying is that those nobles (including current emperors) who were around back then yet complain about "dishonourable" behaviour by other realms weren't very good at putting their money where their mouth was when it came to the best tool FEI had for ensuring that honourable behaviour was followed.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 13, 2015, 01:54:36 AM »
Had Coralynth and Sorraine declared war on Ohnar West and then marched, I don't think Arcaea would be mobilizing right now.  Moving under a banner of peace and then declaring war is the kind of despicable act that motivates all kinds of people to put aside other objections to fighting.
I have no idea why Coralynth did that. No one in Sorraine knew they were doing it. They certainly didn't need to try and do it. Everyone knew the war was going to happen.

As for Sorraine, we declared war a full seven days before the attack landed.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 13, 2015, 02:32:22 AM »
I have no idea why Coralynth did that. No one in Sorraine knew they were doing it. They certainly didn't need to try and do it. Everyone knew the war was going to happen.

And Baranion, at least, has no problem with the way Sorraine has conducted itself militarily.

He is, however, steadfastly opposed to allowing Sartanism to take over the entire Far East, which appears to be Sorraine's guiding principle.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 13, 2015, 02:36:53 AM »

I don't believe any of the IC anger is aimed at Sorraine. People might grumble that OW was a weak target for them to attack, but then that is the nature of conflict. Things might be different if it comes to pass that Sorraine sought Coralynths help in the attack though.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 13, 2015, 05:56:19 AM »
The Order of the Hawk absolutely had teeth - but only when Jenred was around. He was its teeth.

As soon as Jenred disappeared from the picture the Order of the Hawk disappeared from sight - because no one was committed enough to its principles to ensure they carried on being enforced. So all I'm saying is that those nobles (including current emperors) who were around back then yet complain about "dishonourable" behaviour by other realms weren't very good at putting their money where their mouth was when it came to the best tool FEI had for ensuring that honourable behaviour was followed.

I don't think that's the case, at least when it comes to looting. Rape/killing has long been banned as a method of looting in Arcaea, and more than one noble has been punished and even banned for disobeying this. In additon, it is a specific term in the treaty all Empire realms have signed to abide by such looting restrictions as well.