Author Topic: Attack on Sasrhas!  (Read 61762 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Attack on Sasrhas!
« Reply #45: January 13, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »
With regard to this war, I posted an OOC message to the rulers that would probably be best posted here as well:

Out-of-Character from Velax de Vere   (2 days, 3 hours ago)
Message sent to the Rulers of Far East (5 recipients)
Alright, there's no easy way to explain this other than OOC. Arcaea's perhaps somewhat exaggerated outrage here isn't intended to shut down this war - it's trying to shake up the previous solid alliances. For a long time, wars in the Far East have been North vs South, more or less. With Kindara gone, the South doesn't really stand much of a chance now if old alliances remain stable. While it would certainly make IC sense for Arcaea and Sorraine and Coralynth to remain locked in alliance, dominating the island, I don't think it would be good for the health of the Far East to do so.

So in the interests of trying to keep things dynamic and exciting, I am attempting to break up these alliances to see new ones form. Just because Arcaea shakes a stick at you, please do not instantly back down. We have no intention of marching in to wipe out a realm because they are fighting a war we disagree with. We might march, certainly, but not with the intent of complete destruction. Not all wars must be fought to the death.

Just because Arcaea gets involved in a war doesn't mean we're trying to shut down all opposition. If we do get involved in the current war, we will not be looking to destroy Sorraine or Coralynth. We won't even be looking to take any regions, as we have quite enough already for our noble count. We're just trying to shake things up a bit when it comes to the alliances of the Far East.

Personally, I'd love to see a roughly East-West split come about. I think Arcaea, Zonasa and Ohnar vs Coralynth, Sorraine and Cathay would be a reasonably equal match.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: January 13, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Eat west is an unworkable war for a large scale. Bad geography.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: January 13, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
Even if you promise not to destroy them, you can't expect them not to have a backing down reaction.

"Hey, I'm gonna beat you up with this huge stick until you are done, but don't worry, I'll make sure you live!" is of little comfort to most.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 13, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
Perhaps Arcaea is simply too big to allow new dynamics on the Far East...
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 13, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Perhaps Arcaea is simply too big to allow new dynamics on the Far East...

Well, you certainly wouldn't catch me complaining if it were to split up into 2 or 3 realms...

The trouble with something like that, as is often the case, is creating a believable IC rationale and getting the IC political will and clout behind it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 13, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Well, you certainly wouldn't catch me complaining if it were to split up into 2 or 3 realms...

The trouble with something like that, as is often the case, is creating a believable IC rationale and getting the IC political will and clout behind it.

That's kind of what I was trying to achieve in Arcaea - polarise matters religiously so that the two Sartanian dukes split off to create a new realm, thereby splitting Arcaea in two and creating the opportunity for conflict.

Because, as it is, Arcaea's geography means it would win pretty much any war but one where almost every single other realm ganged up on it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: January 13, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
That's kind of what I was trying to achieve in Arcaea - polarise matters religiously so that the two Sartanian dukes split off to create a new realm, thereby splitting Arcaea in two and creating the opportunity for conflict.

Heh. That wouldn't be my first choice of a split...but it could work ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 13, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »

Because, as it is, Arcaea's geography means it would win pretty much any war but one where almost every single other realm ganged up on it.

And even then... It could probably just stomp them all over one at a time and come out victorious.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: January 13, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
Probably. We all know how bad Sartanians are at warfare.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: January 13, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
Probably. We all know how bad Sartanians are at warfare.

That is what happens when you spend all your time worshipping and talking about a god of War, instead of you know learning basic warfare.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: January 14, 2015, 12:33:14 AM »
I have no interest in splitting Arcaea up at this point. While I could certainly see divesting ourselves of some of our regions, we don't have the nobles to create new realms. Perhaps back when Arcaea had 60-70 nobles, yes, but not when we have barely 30. I do not want to see Arcaea reduced to 10-15 nobles. At all.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: January 14, 2015, 12:39:22 AM »
Well with Arcaea remaining the dominant realm on the continent with the ability to beat anyone and everyone that's not going to change because the whole continent will remain pretty boring - and boring realms/continents lose players.

And that really isn't helped by Arcaea deciding it has to get entangled in the first war that comes up - as it is everyone's going to basically have to to ask Arcaea for permission before they go to war in future.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: January 14, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
Who could have foreseen that one realm dominating the others would lead to stagnation ::)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 14, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »
Well with Arcaea remaining the dominant realm on the continent with the ability to beat anyone and everyone that's not going to change because the whole continent will remain pretty boring - and boring realms/continents lose players.

And that really isn't helped by Arcaea deciding it has to get entangled in the first war that comes up - as it is everyone's going to basically have to to ask Arcaea for permission before they go to war in future.

Or you know, not tell blatant and obviously lies when getting ready for war.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 14, 2015, 01:08:50 AM »
I have no interest in splitting Arcaea up at this point. While I could certainly see divesting ourselves of some of our regions, we don't have the nobles to create new realms. Perhaps back when Arcaea had 60-70 nobles, yes, but not when we have barely 30. I do not want to see Arcaea reduced to 10-15 nobles. At all.

Well, boo hoo, you might not be an ideal realm. Guess what? Neither are any of the rest of us on the continent.

What I read here is that you're all for doing things for OOC reasons to make the FEI more fun, until it's actually going to reduce your personal fun.

I guarantee you, the one thing that would increase fun on the FEI more than any other is to split up Arcaea. Until and unless that happens, anything you do may have marginal effects, but it cannot make the island dynamic.

Arcaea might be more fun and more successful as the biggest realm on the continent, with fully a third of the entire continent's regions and players. But the Far East as a whole is poorer because of it, and if you really mean what you say about making the Far East more fun and dynamic, you need to start factoring a split of Arcaea into your plans.
Timothy Collett