Author Topic: Dynamic Army Assignment  (Read 3720 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Dynamic Army Assignment
« Topic Start: December 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Title:

Dynamic Army Assignment

Summary:

Allow a character to pick a preferred army at all times and a lord to respect that preference or manually assign.

Details:

We currently allow a character with no liege to assign themselves to an army. Once they take an estate, however, the option disappears and only their liege can assign them to an army or change the standing assignment.

I suggest that the "Assign yourself to an army" option always be present and be renamed "Army of Choice:" The drop down for this would present each Army of the realm as an option as well as an additional "None" option. Default would be "None".

The lords would continue to have their existing "Assign vassal to an army" option but in addition to the having the realms armies as options and the "None" option, they have a "Let your Vassal chose" option. Additionally, each vassal's "Army of Choice" would be displayed for the liege to see. Default would be "Let your Vassal chose".

So there would be two layers here. Each character could select an army of choice and they would be assigned to that army as long as they did not have a liege or if they had a liege and their liege allowed them to chose for themselves. Should a knight have a liege and should their liege chose an army (or chose "none") that choice would override the vassal's choice.

Benefits:

This would allow lieges to easily see what armies their vassals prefer. It would allow lieges to delegate responsibility to their vassals should they chose to. Also, given the default settings, should a character take a liege before assigning themselves to an army and end up having a slow-to-react liege, they could still assign themselves to an army as they desire without having to wait for their liege to get to it.

Possible Downsides or Exploits:

I can not see this as being more exploitable that our present system. A vassal could betray their lieges trust if they are allowed to chose their own army and ignore their lieges orders (Liege: "You may chose your own army - just not the Barren Weasels." Vassal: "Right. I just joined the Barren Weasels!"). Not much abuse here though.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Army Assignment
« Reply #1: December 29, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »
I like it. This'd also help new guys with inattentive lords.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 29, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
Downside

This would be another factor that reduces communication between a Liege and his vassal(s) further hollowing out whatever remains of a feudal hierarchy.

Look at how taking estates freely has changed stuff: I can't tell how many knights have taken up estates without as much as a notification to their new Lord. Tbh I kick them out regularly in hopes that they will do better in the future (and obviously take them back if they open a dialogue)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 29, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Downside

This would be another factor that reduces communication between a Liege and his vassal(s) further hollowing out whatever remains of a feudal hierarchy.

Look at how taking estates freely has changed stuff: I can't tell how many knights have taken up estates without as much as a notification to their new Lord. Tbh I kick them out regularly in hopes that they will do better in the future (and obviously take them back if they open a dialogue)

Sooo... you just kick them out without giving reason? Even if they're new players? Way to make a good first impression for them of the game. So good for our player retention. Why don't you try talking to them? I mean, you have more experience in the game, more confidence in your character and in roleplaying as your character more than likely. Engage them rather just arbitrarily removing them from the feudal system entirely. I mean, you were the one complaining about the hollowing out of feudal hierarchy. No Knights means no one to be lord of. You remove yourself from the leadership responsibility you have.

Furthermore, I've often had the opposite problem where my lord is not responding to my requests to change what army I am in, but is clearly active enough to keep their lord position. I know that I could leave an estate and then assign myself to an army, then take back the estate, but not only is that bad to do IC, it is much more of a workaround quickfix rather than solving the problem in the first place, feeling rather like you are gaming the system.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 29, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
Downside

A good point. I do wonder a few things though:

1. Why does it have to be the vassal that initiates the conversation? Whenever I have played a region lord, I actively initiated communication with any that took an estate in my region. I demanded an oath and if they did not give me one I would raise a stink. At the same time I would reassure the players OOCly that this was just a bit of fun and not to be too worried about it if they were new players.

Regarding this feature, have the game send a message to the lord if vassal whom they allow to chose their own army makes a change. This way the liege will be able to kick up a conversation if desired.

2. Are you just kicking characters out whenever they take an estate and do not talk to you within X days or are you trying to engage them and work something out first? If you are just kicking them, have you ever noticed the players of those characters quitting the game?

NOTE: Not accusing here, just curious and shocked!

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 29, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
Really? People quitting over being kicked out of an estate for IC reasons?
I'm sure it happens all the time.  ::)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 29, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
I am thinking more of new or newish characters. I can only say that if I joined a game, took an estate and was then kicked out with no reason given i might lose motivation and quit or quit because the players seemed rude. A more experienced character would probably have little trouble with any of it of course!

Honestly, I doubt that is what is happening but I figured I would ask as it was not clear to me on the first reading. I am willing to bet that Shizzle did not just wordlessly and indiscriminately kick new players. It sure sounded like it though.

Thehatter

« Reply #7: December 29, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
Just make it so dukes could change your army, so long as you are in their duchy. Also make it so Rulers can move anyone.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 29, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Rulers should not have the rights to move anyone around wherever they want. Lords have authority over their knights. If the ruler wants them moved, they have to work with the lord to get it done.

The duke idea as well won't fly. Nobles who don't have an estate are not aligned to a duchy, so no particular duke has authority over then. And if they do have an estate, then it is the lord's prerogative to assign to an army. Rulers are not absolute dictators. 
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 25, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of this thread somehow.

Of course I don't arbitrarily kick out non-vocal players. The only case where I always try to do it it when it's a drone character, usually a relative to someone higher in the hierarchy. And yes, as my character is the Lord he expects them to contact him. You don't move in somewhere without contacting your landlord, do you?

If new players join the realm I always try to send them a welcome message, so I usually have a good idea of who is new. Player retention is something I try to invest in. Even if they are unresponsive or dislikeable I usually let them stay so they can develop their character or just get involved in the game. I have kicked out knights on a later stage as well, though.

Usually after I kick out a knight without a word of warning it leads to a dialogue and the matter gets settled, and it often provides a start for a relationship to develop.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 25, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
I quite figured as much! The alternative simply did not fit the image I have built up in my head of Shizzle the Fair.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 26, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
I quite figured as much! The alternative simply did not fit the image I have built up in my head of Shizzle the Fair.

Ahaha, that's the first time I see my name without my other epiteth: -ly Ignorant