Author Topic: Dear FEI  (Read 22997 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Dear FEI
« Topic Start: January 19, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
You now officially suck.

That is all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dear FEI
« Reply #1: January 19, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »
Velax has gone over the reasons this was a stupid idea multiple times.

I was a little surprised when Bofeng spoke up, but his reasoning makes sense, too (surprisingly enough, based on our history with Cathay ;D ).

This really isn't a matter of "the first war that happened, and everyone dogpiled on the aggressors." No, you could have picked a war that would have been seen as perfectly reasonable. In fact, it's possible that you couldn't have picked a worse thing to do, though part of that is because of Coralynth's part in it, which I suppose you can hardly be blamed for.

I agree that what it resulted in kinda sucks for Sorraine, but I honestly don't see why you thought wiping out Ohnar West so soon after Velax very carefully kept them alive in the last war would be a good idea.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 19, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »
Still sucks.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: January 19, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
What happened? :o

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 19, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »
I agree with Indirik.

Even if Coralynth gave every reason in the word for Arcaea to get involved, they didn't have to. Wasn't Velax boasting about how he was OOC intent on making things fun on the continent? What Arcaea chose to do doesn't fit with that claim.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 19, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
Sorraine and Coralynth declared war on OW. The entire island feigned morale outrage and declared war on Sorraine and Coralynth.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 19, 2015, 09:01:48 PM »
Sorraine and Coralynth declared war on OW. The entire island feigned morale outrage and declared war on Sorraine and Coralynth.

Right—because there's no such thing as real moral outrage.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 19, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Right—because there's no such thing as real moral outrage.

And just because there is such a thing as real moral outrage doesn't mean it is either right, nor what happened in this case. Please try an actual argument, rather than just a sardonic reply.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 19, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »
And just because there is such a thing as real moral outrage doesn't mean it is either right, nor what happened in this case. Please try an actual argument, rather than just a sardonic reply.

My only info is hearsay, but I do believe Delvin's character is actually morally outraged at the circumstances surrounding Coralynth's involvement.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 19, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
How real the moral outrage is doesn't matter, that doesn't force everyone to jump in on a new gangbang.

The sanctions could have been different, and they could have been differed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 19, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
I was only speaking on Delvin's behalf.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 19, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
How real the moral outrage is doesn't matter, that doesn't force everyone to jump in on a new gangbang.

The sanctions could have been different, and they could have been differed.

Well, that's true.

At the time when Baranion decided and announced that Zonasa would join in the fight, it was just Sorraine and Coralynth vs Ohnar West. His expectation was to provide a relatively minor distraction to Sorraine by opening up a second front.

I don't think it's necessary for Arcaea to be involved, in this case. However:

• With Sorraine and Coralynth vs Ohnar, Cathay, and Zonasa, there's a real possibility that Ohnar will still be destroyed
  • Without joining in the fight, Arcaea gets to just sit around and be bored (though to be fair, as we've already noted, Arcaea's options are pretty much "dictate the course of events or sit around and be bored")
  • Without Arcaea in the fight, there's very little that can realistically be done against Coralynth—not nothing, but very little—and it's their behaviour in particular that generated the moral outrage
  • As I mentioned before, Velax has given very clear, completely IC, and totally predictable reasons why they joined in

So, yes, this sucks for Sorraine. But it's far from the worst thing that could be happening on the FEI right now, and is pretty much entirely the result of Sorraine and Coralynth ignoring recent history (and at least one relatively obvious diplomatic issue) and thinking that disposing of Ohnar West would be a "short, victorious war" they could get out of the way quickly.
Timothy Collett

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 19, 2015, 09:49:29 PM »
Personally my character has spoken against our involvement. I also suggested that if we are truly outraged then our actions should only be against Coralynth. Due to geography we can do little against Coralynth, thus it would seem the "rational" thing to do is to prevent their goals from being completed by attacking their ally.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 19, 2015, 10:17:10 PM »
Thing is, IC, all the reasons people are giving, so far as they are making it to my character, are pure bull!@#$. Zonasa demanding that we condemn the actions, and swear an oath not to let it happen again? Let what happen? Declaring war? (And yeah, i know more ooc, but I'm talking ic, and what my character knows.) So far, all we did was declare war, and then invade 7 days later. What's to condemn?

Everyone is claiming they are taking OWs side, but that they don't really have any objections to war on OW. And, really, who ×would× care about OW? Everyone should despise them, except perhaps Cathay. And maybe Velax cares about the exact number of rulers who bow before the imperial throne.

And if the objection is really about the way Coralynth acted in declaring the war, then why start bitching about a gang-bang against poor, defenseless OW, then start roflstomping Sorraine? What's next, when Cathay does something, do we declare war on Zonasa and start looting them?

This has all the indications of a bunch of realms looking for a safe war they can participate in, and jumping on the bandwagon. And yeah, you may have some ic reasons you can claim to be safely following. But you know what? It really doesn't matter. It still sucks. People have to start wars to keep this game from becoming a !@#$ing gold harvesting sim. And in order to start wars, you need to sometimes do things that the knight in shining armor wouldn't do. If someone does that and the entire island breathes a collective sigh of relief because now they can pretend to be the good guy and not be the one bent over the table, then it's gonna suck.

And, really, that's where the FEI is now. Right in the middle of a big heaping helping of suck. Sorraine has no choice but to knuckle under or die. And we go back to another six months of gold farming. And another two dozen people quit the island.

Edit: stupid phone typos.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:25:29 PM by Indirik »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 19, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
If Arcaea only ever has two options (do nothing and be bored, or roflstomp a realm and making FEI boring), then they really suck and don't care at all for the rest of the players.

How long would it have taken for OW to be destroyed? If they had decided to wait just a little to let that happen, and then striked Coralynth (and ONLY Coralynth), then maybe it wouldn't be as bad.

It really doesn't matter how badly Coralynth messed up, it should have been handled differently.