Author Topic: Bug with bans  (Read 9790 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Bug with bans
« Topic Start: June 06, 2011, 02:21:21 AM »
In Thalmarkin we recently had an unusual situation.

A candidate running for general was banned in the middle of the election for an unrelated reason. However, the judge was then protested out of office. The ban remained in place and the candidate in question won the election. However, the ban was due to come into effect one turn after the candidate had been elected. When the turn came the noble remained in the realm and, according to the player, the ban ticker disappeared. But the ban still remains on his family's page and has never been lifted. A new judge has not yet been elected.

So is this a bug or is it something else?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Bug with bans
« Reply #1: June 06, 2011, 02:44:11 AM »
Sure seems that way. So far as I know the ban should have been applied, but it seems to have only been half applied. That is it was applied to the characters history, but not actually carried out within the realm.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 06, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »
That's probably because the new General's Council immunity prevented the ban from being implemented, but the ban was spoken and I don't know of any means where things are ever removed from family histories.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 06, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
I wonder what will happen if he dont get elected next month? Will ban take effect or does it go totally null?
~Violence is always an option!~

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 06, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
Well it sounds to me like the game needs a tie breaker here then. It should either be that the ban prevents him from running in elections or that a message pops up saying that the ban has been lifted due to his immunity as a council member.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 06, 2011, 01:38:31 PM »
I'm inclined to make it the former.  He may not have been sent rogue before the election ended, but the ban did go into effect in all other ways before then, preventing him from recruiting, cashing bonds, or rebelling.  I don't see any reason why people who have been banned should be able to run for office.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 06, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »
Well yeah, that would be my instinct as well. I suppose the alternative otherwise would be for players to couple exiling with a ban in order to try and keep them from running.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 06, 2011, 01:41:31 PM »
How many times do I have to say it?

Once someone is exiled, they cannot be banned!
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
Sorry Delvin - I wasn't aware of that. Probably because it's not mentioned on the ban page on the wiki.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 06, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
Sorry Delvin - I wasn't aware of that. Probably because it's not mentioned on the ban page on the wiki.

Seems to me it ought to be on the Exile page.

...Which seems not to exist.  Hm.

Wanna create it, while I fix some more bugs? ;D

(Yes, typical dev, I hate writing documentation ;) )
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 06, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
Wiki page added.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 06, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #12: June 07, 2011, 08:23:14 AM »
Seems to me it ought to be on the Exile page.

...Which seems not to exist.  Hm.

Wanna create it, while I fix some more bugs? ;D

(Yes, typical dev, I hate writing documentation ;) )

I love writing documentation!  For other people. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Pyrix

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 10, 2011, 12:12:39 AM »
I'm the current Judge of Thalmarkin.  The Grand Marshal in this discussion still shows that he has an active ban from my predecessor.  Just out of curiosity we're going to leave it in place to see what happens if he ever steps down or gets voted out.

On a related note, has anybody run into the situation where a knight has been awarded enough good marks to gain immunity from all punishment, and his Lord is a council member, who is also immune?  There seems to be no recourse as a judge to punish either the deserving party or to pass on the fine to his Lord.   Essentially this means that the knights of council members who are also region lords can run amok with impunity provided they have enough good marks to protect them.  This has caused a problem twice in our realm and it seems like a broken mechanic as it renders the judge powerless against a certain group of nobles who aren't even on the ruling council.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: June 10, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »
Try to protest the council lord out? If you can't manage that, then you might be on the wrong side of the conflict. If you're not, then sucks for you to have made that guy lord and council member.