Author Topic: What Lies West  (Read 26213 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What Lies West
« Reply #30: January 29, 2015, 02:11:38 AM »
Now why wouldn't we able to beat that?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 29, 2015, 02:21:03 AM »
Now why wouldn't we able to beat that?

The numbers in a region at any one time are likely not the issue. The speed with which they spawn and the waves they hit in, occasionally with larger numbers could wear down any attempt to hold. Since they wore down existing realms with decent infrastructure it is safe to assume the number in any one region are not the full picture.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 29, 2015, 03:38:39 AM »
The numbers in a region at any one time are likely not the issue. The speed with which they spawn and the waves they hit in, occasionally with larger numbers could wear down any attempt to hold. Since they wore down existing realms with decent infrastructure it is safe to assume the number in any one region are not the full picture.

Except the realms in the area didn't so much get worn down as they just abandoned the area because we were basically told it would be impossible to resist.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 29, 2015, 03:41:53 AM »
Except the realms in the area didn't so much get worn down as they just abandoned the area because we were basically told it would be impossible to resist.

And nothing code wise has changed.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 29, 2015, 03:59:55 AM »
- If you're bored by fruitless global war go do something else.
- Cool. How about some PvE?
- Nope. That's not allowed because we want to make the game more fun for you. Why don't you throw a tournament every week instead like Atamarans do? They're having fun.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 29, 2015, 05:02:47 AM »
And nothing code wise has changed.
Could you expand on that? The spawn rates were turned up for all of Dwilight for the invasion but then they were lowered again (at least in the East) after the west went rogue.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 29, 2015, 05:19:22 AM »
Could you expand on that? The spawn rates were turned up for all of Dwilight for the invasion but then they were lowered again (at least in the East) after the west went rogue.

Monster spawns were tweaked in an attempt to make the west uninhabitable. There would be little point in that if they were tweaked back in the west such that realms could return once the hordes were dealt with.

- If you're bored by fruitless global war go do something else.
- Cool. How about some PvE?
- Nope. That's not allowed because we want to make the game more fun for you. Why don't you throw a tournament every week instead like Atamarans do? They're having fun.

I did not say they could not be changed back, just that they currently have not been. I was one of the few that campaigned against the Monster tweaks all those years ago that destroyed the PVE atmosphere of Dwilight just so we could have one more continent of player initiated wars and gang bangs. I was pointing out that whatever changes were made to drive people out of the west are currently still in place, thus any OOC planning needs to account for that despite what a few scout reports may show.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 29, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
I am not at all sure what this PvE craze is al about. The whole point of Battlemaster, in my mind, is that it is the best PvP game around. I love that my character's enemies are controlled by people and not AI code. Where is all of this "Forget warring with each other as the game intends! Lets tweak the game so we can battle AI controlled rouges!" coming from?

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 29, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »
I am not at all sure what this PvE craze is al about. The whole point of Battlemaster, in my mind, is that it is the best PvP game around. I love that my character's enemies are controlled by people and not AI code. Where is all of this "Forget warring with each other as the game intends! Lets tweak the game so we can battle AI controlled rouges!" coming from?
Thanks for sharing your opinion, mate. You almost managed not to imply that I am playing this game wrong. Almost.

Now back on topic.
We manage to hold Candiels for a while but it was a huge drain on resources. And when the final wave arrived it was absolutely overwhelming. I guess we won't be able to reclaim it unless monster spawning rates are decreased.
For the life of me I do not understand why the West is still closed. We did an experiment. It failed. Okay, let's move on. Why drag it on when we know it's bad?

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 29, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing your opinion, mate. You almost managed not to imply that I am playing this game wrong. Almost.

Now back on topic.
We manage to hold Candiels for a while but it was a huge drain on resources. And when the final wave arrived it was absolutely overwhelming. I guess we won't be able to reclaim it unless monster spawning rates are decreased.
For the life of me I do not understand why the West is still closed. We did an experiment. It failed. Okay, let's move on. Why drag it on when we know it's bad?

You know what? You'r right. That came off more "what's wrong with you guys" than I intended or even felt. I apologize. I was really, honestly, plain curious. What draws me to BM is the PvP. It seems to me that the game was built from the ground up to facilitate great PvP. I am quite curious to understand the draw.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 29, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
You know what? You'r right. That came off more "what's wrong with you guys" than I intended or even felt. I apologize. I was really, honestly, plain curious. What draws me to BM is the PvP. It seems to me that the game was built from the ground up to facilitate great PvP. I am quite curious to understand the draw.

And there are many continents in which to experience that. There were two things that made Dwilight special, the first was SMA, which sadly is no longer as prevalent as it once was. The second was the frontier feel, constantly fighting the environment in order to simply survive, expeditions to carve out one more rogue region and then the struggle to hold it while infrastructure was built. I was not better, it was simply something that set the continent apart and made it for me the ONLY island I always had a character on.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 29, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
I get the frontier feeling draw. I remember when we left the realm of Giask to form Barca. It was a lot of fun. At the same time, it became even more fun for me when Aurvandil showed up to our south and tension started forming.

All the same, though I get the draw of striking out to the wild and starting a new realm but I don't see how it can be made something that we can keep doing again and again aside from regular serious monster invasions (like we just had) cropping up to clear out a huge chunk of land that can then be resettled. Some might be fine with it but others will feel frustrated if the invasion takes place on their half of the continent.

Even then, one of the things I like about the whole "go out and carve a realm from the wilderness" thing is that other players are doing the same and working with/against these other players and their new realms and seeing what relations form.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 29, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Apology accepted and let me reciprocate. I shouldn't have gone so passive aggressive at your post.
If you are sincerely curious why PvE is enticing for certain players I will try to break it down. Don't get me wrong, PvP wars are super exciting. But it is just one facet of game. Take a look at Atamara - it's been a dead place for half a year (much longer for some realms). Dwilight moves in the same direction currently, Luria inevitably becoming a stabilizing superpower. Maybe it's not and I'm wrong, but adding more options, more stuff to do for realms is always a good thing and I can see no drawbacks.
Let's say Luria and the League strike a truce. What do we all do next? Sit on our hands. PvE is an option a realm can choose. See?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 29, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
I get the frontier feeling draw. I remember when we left the realm of Giask to form Barca. It was a lot of fun. At the same time, it became even more fun for me when Aurvandil showed up to our south and tension started forming.

All the same, though I get the draw of striking out to the wild and starting a new realm but I don't see how it can be made something that we can keep doing again and again aside from regular serious monster invasions (like we just had) cropping up to clear out a huge chunk of land that can then be resettled. Some might be fine with it but others will feel frustrated if the invasion takes place on their half of the continent.

Even then, one of the things I like about the whole "go out and carve a realm from the wilderness" thing is that other players are doing the same and working with/against these other players and their new realms and seeing what relations form.

You only have to look to the early history of the west, and the struggle to maintain realms there to understand the longevity the old monster spawn code presented. I've lost count of how many times people tried to settle Darfix back then.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 29, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
What is lacking is an equilibrium. We went from having too many monsters to colonize even small parts of the west (heck, of any part of Dwilight at all), to having too few monsters to prevent us from colonizing it all.

Though I'd point out that when we colonized it all, we had a lot more nobles. Even if we turned back rogue levels considerably down, there's no way Dwi realms could push too far out with current noble levels. The low density would kill any attempts to expand past a few core regions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron