Author Topic: Peer-judging messages: too involved  (Read 3620 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Peer-judging messages: too involved
« Topic Start: June 06, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »
Recently I was given a message to review for vulgarity but I realized that I was actually too involved in a discussion to make a good and neutral decision. Hence came the idea to add a third option:  "too involved". It would in essence mean that you say you cannot judge this message. It would then probably be sent to another player on the continent to judge it, because judgement is required after all.
Ardet nec consumitur.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peer-judging messages: too involved
« Reply #1: June 06, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
Hmm, how you can bee "too involvment"?

You think it is vulgar or you think its not... i just dont get it? It was message sent by yourself?
~Violence is always an option!~

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 06, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
The whole point of judging that message is that you should solely review the manner of writing, not the context or content.

I recently sent some messages in for review, is there any way to know wether I made a correct move reporting them? I mean, the page says you should watch out for abusing the feature, but how can I know wether I failed to pick out a vulgar letter or not?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 06, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
is there any way to know wether I made a correct move reporting them?
You will not be informed of the results of the report.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 06, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
Ok. The wiki states: "If you complain falsely too often, you yourself will lose respect among your peers, and suffer the consequences. "

Consequences such as? Do those come with a warning first?

Sorry for going off-topic (again)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 06, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »
You can be too involved if it's part of a discussion, or if your character simply hates that character. Assuming people can be "neutral" all the time is wrong.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 06, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
You can be too involved if it's part of a discussion, or if your character simply hates that character. Assuming people can be "neutral" all the time is wrong.

Well, it's clearly said that the review is not about the content, but about the style and behaviour in one specific letter.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 06, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
Besides, even if you're "too involved", you are still one of their peers, right? It's not like your opinion suddenly doesn't matter because you're "involved".

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 06, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
The whole point of judging that message is that you should solely review the manner of writing, not the context or content.
Also, to comment on this, context matters. Context *always* matters. For example, the word "bitch" when implied to a female dog is not vulgar. But when you apply it to the Queen, that could indeed be vulgar. A noble spouting obscenities after getting stabbed on the battlefield is significantly different than those same obscenities being shouted during a court session.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 07, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
Depending on the court and the circumstances.  Just off the top of my head, there could be a simple "level of refinement" setting for a realm so people would know.  It's probably too much work though, but I waffle on the idea as in smaller continents everyone knows which realms are more or less "Dark Ages", but in big realms or those seperated by big gaps people might not know.

Ehn, probably still wouldn't work though, as some realms are really loose in some ways while being brutally repressive in others.  Maybe there could be a one-line of flavour that the ruler could make so people could grasp the realm "in a nutshell."

Just a riff on Indirik's point really.