Author Topic: Reply to list for messages sent to specific individuals  (Read 2795 times)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Right now when you are sent a personal message, there is a "reply" button, and when a message is sent to a message group there is a "reply to list" button as well. But when you send a message to "some members of X group" (your realm, your army, your duchy, your religion, your guild, etc.), there is only the "reply" button to reply to the original sender, but not a "reply to list" or "reply to group" button to reply to everyone who the original message was sent to (assuming it was not sent with secret recipients).

This request is for adding that button to the message when a message is sent to multiple recipients who are members of the same group, but who do not represent the whole group.

Benefit: player convenience; to reply to the conversation group a player has to open the message interface, select "send to some members of X", then select (and probably double-check in another tab) the characters that were tagged in the original message. With this feature, the player would simply click the "reply to group" button and the recipients list would be appropriately populated.

Possible exploits: none that I can identify.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
On the list. Not at the top.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I'm fairly certain it is intentional that it is difficult to carry on a running conversation with an arbitrary group of people.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I'm fairly certain it is intentional that it is difficult to carry on a running conversation with an arbitrary group of people.

Given that enabling this was part of both the abortive attempts at message-system rewrites Tom has done over the past decade, I do not believe that to
be the case.

What Tom explicitly wanted to make hard was spamming the realm. However, the more common problem we have with messages these days is exactly the opposite.

I have some ideas about how to make ad-hoc lists work, but as always, I need time to implement them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
That could be. Things change.

I do remember, though, that being able to easily exclude specific people was intended to be very difficult. That's why it wasn't possible to add more than half the realm to a single message group. People were creating message groups with all but one or two characters from a realm, specifically to isolate that person.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
That could be. Things change.

I do remember, though, that being able to easily exclude specific people was intended to be very difficult. That's why it wasn't possible to add more than half the realm to a single message group. People were creating message groups with all but one or two characters from a realm, specifically to isolate that person.

I daresay I can put in similar safeguards on an ad-hoc lists feature.
Timothy Collett

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
On the list. Not at the top.

Awesome, good to hear. :)
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families