Author Topic: Realm size control  (Read 7465 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Realm size control
« Topic Start: March 24, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
I didn't just make that up all on my own.

I have heard what's happening in Riombara, and what you're describing is not what was happening. Having a single noble play steward to 12 different regions, constantly entering into lordship elections (sometimes running in multiple lordship elections simultaneously), and electing themselves to different region lordships in a continuous evolution (to the point where they won over 80 elections in under one year), is not a realm keeping regions in good condition. It's serial abuse of regional elections. Keeping infrastructure in good condition is not against the rules. Abusing the election system is.

If those northern peninsula regions were rogue, nobably would probably have noticed the Lurians land until too late. As it was, you almost took Nifelheim. And you could have created a new realm up there, with a little bit of creativity and some focus.

Riombara and Morek both take the nobles/region ration to the extreme, and both are bad for the game, overall. Neither on has any nearby enemies, and neither one likely will, until they collapse. They are simply too big and powerful. All those extra regions producing gold for the dukes provides crazy incomes. A smaller neighbor simply can't afford to go to war with that. Can IVF fight off the Riombaran 150+ soldier units, or all the crazy SF? Rio can walk in and crush nearly anyone other than Thalmarkin, or some grand coalition. Morek could do the same against anyone close. (Assuming they can get organized.) If the regions were rogue, someone could walk in and take it, and it would be up to Rio/Morek to declare that war, and kick them out.

I do agree that we need to have motivations for war, and taking land is a great motivation. But when situations like Morek/Riombara arise, the absurdity of the situation is just shoved in your face. Something needs to be done about it. And the players need to come up with some other reason for lopping the heads off their enemies than "I want your land". Like maybe "Your god is evil. And your horse smells funny, too."
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.