Author Topic: Realm size control  (Read 7435 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Realm size control
« Reply #15: June 02, 2015, 10:41:48 PM »
To what end?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 02, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »
To what end?

What else would they do? Why would a realm go to war if there is no conceivable gain to be had?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 02, 2015, 11:24:53 PM »
Do gains have to be territorial?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 04, 2015, 03:09:33 AM »
Do gains have to be territorial?
I would say the perception is yes but you also get war experience, pride, and often attract more nobles, all very big gains.

I am very much a fan of regions that are lordless long term going rogue. Realms do not deserve the regions if they cant get someone to rule them. Morek is a perfect example that had a bunch of regions and only helps stagnate the continent when they have so much land they arent lording over and we are seeing they are surviving just fine without dominating over the entire north.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

« Reply #19: June 04, 2015, 04:14:47 AM »
So are we doing back to old days? To be honest, I wouldn't mind more rogue regions in Dwilight so monsters can spawn in big groups to harass players again.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 05, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »
Mostly because of distant travel, but we DID actually hold them off for a while.

I don't think setting regions to rogue will help, I think what could do is to decrease their control, lordless regions can only have province control and make it harder for regions with a lord to drop to province.

This would help a bit, and would make it easier for other realms to take those regions.

The main problem is: there is not enough players for more realms, setting regions as rogue will not help and will only make people fight the monsters/undead that pops in from them without actually going to war.

One side being able to hold off the other doesn't make it an even fight. IVF and Nothoi might be able to hold off Rio from the core regions, at least for a while, but they would rarely get a chance to press the attack, and when they do, it will rarely be effective. Same with Luria. Luria vs Morek, alone, and Morek will always be on the defensive. It was pretty tied when I left, with everyone united against Luria... and yet they still managed raids into Morek regardless.

Distance aids defense, but doesn't make fights more balanced, because in the end, the stronger party will have all of the leverage he wants in the negotiations to end the war (or not).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron