Author Topic: Being Able To Play So Many Characters Ruins The Game  (Read 18811 times)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Instead of deny two characters per continent, why not just deny the option to have two chars in the same realm!?

Also, about EC and any other continent... taking the example of Sirion: If "everyone" know such great realms are the problem, instead of look at the devs, why not just try to "gangbang" Sirion or Caligus!? Or make a diplomatic effort to divide the realms in question in new realms!?
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Instead of deny two characters per continent, why not just deny the option to have two chars in the same realm!?

Also, about EC and any other continent... taking the example of Sirion: If "everyone" know such great realms are the problem, instead of look at the devs, why not just try to "gangbang" Sirion or Caligus!? Or make a diplomatic effort to divide the realms in question in new realms!?

Because "everyone" doesn't know. If everyone did, the realms would implode themselves without outside interference wouldn't they.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

I have reduced myself to playing only three characters. I must say I am focusing a bit better.

To be honest, I can probably reduce myself to playing only two and it would probably improve the quality even more.

Noble family

• Freeman
    • View Profile
I currently have two active characters, Vladamire (my very first character in BM) in his home realm of Outer Tilog, and Aramon, lately of Lukon. Aramon I had created to try out the War Islands, on what happened to be their last hurrah  in that format, and moved him to the Colonies afterward (where is misadventures saw him kill the judge of Alebad in a duel during that realms dying days, become Shadow Tyrant of the Assassins, court another noble, die/reappear in Lukon, and eventually become General of Lukon). I've tried the various islands with various characters over my time in BM back in 07, but it always comes back to these two: 1)Because I don't have the time anymore to handle two turns a day, and 2)Because the history of the characters, 8 years or so RT leads to a lot of character building. That doesn't mean I'll never play Mastraacht over in Fissoa again, or my advy in Arcaea, but if I'm forced to pick one of my characters on the Colonies to move or become inactive or something happens to make the years worth of character building I've been trying to do with them vanish, well, I might just stop playing all together. Which would be a shame, because I'd miss playing with the guys over in the Colonies (even Jeremy Stephens, whose character Innocent Noble has been a thorn in my characters sides for years *shakes fist!*)

Well, I'm sad to announce that Innocent finally met his maker in a Tilog dungeon.  Just wait to see how much mischief I can create with Innocent's niece that has a bad case of vengeance on her mind!   ;)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I personally enjoy player more characters, it so sad about AT (that's another story), sometimes islands get stale as we have all experienced in the past 12 years you have to be flexible and while maintaining a few really active character just divide your efforts a bit and focus on 2-3 and have the others as more passive.

Quality of game is in itself at the player's own disposal reducing the character that can be had on an island will not really reduce anything, but rather discourage some. Though even if we had the option to go to different realms I think then we'd have the issue as we did before about spying (Fontan 06) so i'd prefer not to go back to that, but it was a very interesting and closed minded time.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Depends on player activity, really. As someone whose online for most of the day, or at least a few hours, I wish I had *more* characters. I log in every 10-15 minutes some days, just to see if I've received a message and can do *something.* I dread running out of hours on all my advies and nobles...

I had two throw-away characters in the Cagilan Empire. Khets'aein Abheroth and Magnus Aurea. Magnus went on to become King of the Xavax in the East, and is now my most incredibly fun character, and the only reason I didn't go through with getting bored and quitting.

Fissoa is an utter bore, but it growing more fun now that we have some new nobles. Also, thanks to some Lurian priest complaining about a closed temple and trying to assassinate its looter, a fissoan Duke.

Inflamed by Magnus' zealous passion, I've decided to once again attempt to found a religion: the Spirit of the Phoenix Kin, or some such, in Xavax, and I just asked the Fissoan council to allow me to found Vox Stellarum, which some of you may remember Maximilian Aurea trying to launch on my old account a few years back, before illness forced me to quit gaming.

Khets'aein, I've decided will become an assassin, or judge, or some sort of badass bitch, once she gets to Belluaterra.

If it weren't for the islands sinking, I wouldn't have had the impulse to turn these two bland, boring "Im out of hours and have nothing better to do" characters into something far more striking and empowering, and thus fun!

I'd hate to be able to play fewer characters. I, for one, am able to keep my characters separate and don't powergame. But that's just me. Even with my two in Cagilan, they were secretly at odds, let totally different lives, and did not see eye to eye. Never even gave Khets'aein a Lordship, she was just a wandering warrior. :) Magnus, on the other hand, is all honesty and virtue and justice and all that, like I am in real life, and had a small Lordship at one point, but didn't even vaguely try to go further. I was content with Magnus, because I had no opportunities.

I've played every position except a banker. Never been a proper priest, though. Sucked as an infiltrator. Too honest. Courtier is too boring for me, but its useful for a boring character. Sometimes you just want that one boring character to serve as a steward-courtier and do their thing without big responsibility. :)

Beside the meta/powergamers, many of us have multiple nobles because we like being exposed to various cultures, differing RPs, faiths, and political structures. I say we keep that spirit.

I would be sorely disappointed if BM cut down further on noble counts, and it would make me consider taking my gaming elsewhere, leaving just a token noble, someone very very fun, namely Magnus of Xavax, and forgetting everything else. It just wouldn't be worth all the effort at that point.

But that's just my perspective. :)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
I have played mainly 1 character for the last few years on Dwilight and only recently reactivated my others. I am enjoying building the 3 personalities.

Akrogath is  honourable.
Sundar is a pyschopath.
Glaumring is a bit crazy.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Depends on player activity, really. As someone whose online for most of the day, or at least a few hours, I wish I had *more* characters. I log in every 10-15 minutes some days, just to see if I've received a message and can do *something.* I dread running out of hours on all my advies and nobles...

I had two throw-away characters in the Cagilan Empire. Khets'aein Abheroth and Magnus Aurea. Magnus went on to become King of the Xavax in the East, and is now my most incredibly fun character, and the only reason I didn't go through with getting bored and quitting.

Fissoa is an utter bore, but it growing more fun now that we have some new nobles. Also, thanks to some Lurian priest complaining about a closed temple and trying to assassinate its looter, a fissoan Duke.

Inflamed by Magnus' zealous passion, I've decided to once again attempt to found a religion: the Spirit of the Phoenix Kin, or some such, in Xavax, and I just asked the Fissoan council to allow me to found Vox Stellarum, which some of you may remember Maximilian Aurea trying to launch on my old account a few years back, before illness forced me to quit gaming.

Khets'aein, I've decided will become an assassin, or judge, or some sort of badass bitch, once she gets to Belluaterra.

If it weren't for the islands sinking, I wouldn't have had the impulse to turn these two bland, boring "Im out of hours and have nothing better to do" characters into something far more striking and empowering, and thus fun!

I'd hate to be able to play fewer characters. I, for one, am able to keep my characters separate and don't powergame. But that's just me. Even with my two in Cagilan, they were secretly at odds, let totally different lives, and did not see eye to eye. Never even gave Khets'aein a Lordship, she was just a wandering warrior. :) Magnus, on the other hand, is all honesty and virtue and justice and all that, like I am in real life, and had a small Lordship at one point, but didn't even vaguely try to go further. I was content with Magnus, because I had no opportunities.

I've played every position except a banker. Never been a proper priest, though. Sucked as an infiltrator. Too honest. Courtier is too boring for me, but its useful for a boring character. Sometimes you just want that one boring character to serve as a steward-courtier and do their thing without big responsibility. :)

Beside the meta/powergamers, many of us have multiple nobles because we like being exposed to various cultures, differing RPs, faiths, and political structures. I say we keep that spirit.

I would be sorely disappointed if BM cut down further on noble counts, and it would make me consider taking my gaming elsewhere, leaving just a token noble, someone very very fun, namely Magnus of Xavax, and forgetting everything else. It just wouldn't be worth all the effort at that point.

But that's just my perspective. :)

Agree 100%, that's pretty much how I approach the game as well. Also you're welcome for the failed stabbing ;)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Glaumring!? It lives!

I extremely enjoyed your antics back when I played Alura Aurea, pre and post-ruler of Terran.

And my deepest thanks, Gabanus ;) You priest is such a bull!@#$ter. :P I'd say its ironic but its kind of obviously to be expected.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Glaumring!? It lives!

I extremely enjoyed your antics back when I played Alura Aurea, pre and post-ruler of Terran.

And my deepest thanks, Gabanus ;) You priest is such a bull!@#$ter. :P I'd say its ironic but its kind of obviously to be expected.

Well technically he's not a priest but an infiltrator of course :) And well it's his word against Eldrond's and in LN Goriad's word should be worth more. Ooc everyone knows what he did of course, but IC he can continue to deny it, hopefully providing us with some fun.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela