Author Topic: Feature Request: Public Wealth List  (Read 7195 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Public Wealth List
« Reply #15: June 02, 2015, 07:01:50 PM »
If you are a kind of player who hoards gold and sends it to his family to make to high score, yeah you'll not enjoy this feature.
If you're a kind of player who tries to make things done and make the realm functional, you'll find this feature very handy.

If someone is caught hoarding gold and banned because he refuses to make use of it there is no way you can claim it's an OOC ban. Just drop it.

Although I wouldn't want every character to be able to see each other's wealth. This feature perhaps should be reserved for the Banker and maybe Judge to some extent. So that there were still some lanes for corruption.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 02, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »
So, can you prove it that a IC harassment is not actually OOC? Or based on OOC motivation?

What is your system?

My system is actually reading the messages in question, if such a case comes up, and using my brain to make a decision.

It is easy to discard everything with a "report to the Titans" reply.

Well, it is the appropriate response to OOC harassment.

There is no need to everyone to know how much gold a character has.

You can keep asserting this all day, and I can keep asserting the opposite, but until you actually provide something new to support your argument, I really don't see us getting anywhere.

This feature will cause trouble both IC and OOC and bring back the micromanaging that existed when everyone could see the stats of a region.

First you say everyone can already see this information, so we don't need it.
Then you say if we have this information, it will cause widespread micromanagement.

First of all, that's using two completely contradictory arguments to support your position.
Second, the micromanagement argument is just you asserting that something bad is going to happen without giving any realistic explanation of why people are suddenly going to do this.
Third, you do realize that this is just supposed to be showing the very very wealthy characters' wealth, don't you? It's really hard to make a strong argument about micromanagement when you're only dealing with character whose gold and bonds on hand total in the multiple tens of thousands.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 02, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
You make the treshold low enough to ensure that the average duke or rich city lord comes up in the list from time to time, but you also enable people who are really hoarding gold to be public knowledge.

The assumption also runs that this would be a realm-limited list. That was not my intention. My intention for this suggestions was to have it be continent-wide, i.e. everyone will know King-Duke-Margrave Bazillion is ridiculously rich.

Why would this even be bad? If people are playing Battlemaster to hoard the most gold on a character, well, they are playing the wrong game. Perhaps opening the knowledge of their wealth to others will allow them to find more uses for their gold.

I had considered that this would have OOC-repercussions, and I'm not even sure that is bad. My intention is to root out the rot from the inside. People hoarding ridiculous amounts of gold ingame who then do nothing with it at all, I call them the rot.
Ardet nec consumitur.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 02, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »
You make the treshold low enough to ensure that the average duke or rich city lord comes up in the list from time to time, but you also enable people who are really hoarding gold to be public knowledge.

The assumption also runs that this would be a realm-limited list. That was not my intention. My intention for this suggestions was to have it be continent-wide, i.e. everyone will know King-Duke-Margrave Bazillion is ridiculously rich.

Why would this even be bad? If people are playing Battlemaster to hoard the most gold on a character, well, they are playing the wrong game. Perhaps opening the knowledge of their wealth to others will allow them to find more uses for their gold.

I had considered that this would have OOC-repercussions, and I'm not even sure that is bad. My intention is to root out the rot from the inside. People hoarding ridiculous amounts of gold ingame who then do nothing with it at all, I call them the rot.

You're willingly putting on blinders in your idealistic zeal based on modern sensibilities... you realize that the Darkans were ridiculously rich AND went to war constantly. How much gold a character or family has is in no way a direct correlation to how much they do or do not contribute to the game. So please stop, we're not a syndicalist commune.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 02, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »
My system is actually reading the messages in question, if such a case comes up, and using my brain to make a decision.

Yep a non-accurate system then.

You can keep asserting this all day, and I can keep asserting the opposite, but until you actually provide something new to support your argument, I really don't see us getting anywhere.

You also have not provide anything that support your argument that this is a good feature.

First you say everyone can already see this information, so we don't need it.
Then you say if we have this information, it will cause widespread micromanagement.
First of all, that's using two completely contradictory arguments to support your position.

Let me help you use your brain then.
You have information on how much gold a knight gets per week. If you want to micromanage things you have to put a lot more work in it, calculating how much gold a char receive, the size of his unit, expenses per week, family wealth increase, etc

Now if you make it easier to give this information to everyone, you will open up to people actually wanting to say how many troops a char should recruit, paraphernalia, how much gold they should invest or send to the realm to other nobles, food to buy, etc.

Just like it happened in the past when the % of each region was visible.

I get that you like the idea, but it does not make it good.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 02, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
Yep a non-accurate system then.

So, in fact, what you're saying is, I'm incapable of reading a discussion and coming to an accurate conclusion about whether it's IC or OOC.

I think we're done here.

Sorry, Fleugs. Feature request is approved, but the thread has to be locked anyway.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan