Author Topic: Shipyard and navies  (Read 3573 times)

T0mislav

Shipyard and navies
« Topic Start: April 03, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
I built shipyard in my region couple of days ago.
In today region report I got info: "2 new navies are ready. There are now 3 available."
So all I managed to notice is that shipyard is producing navies.
Is there any other use of shipyard and what is the actual use of navies?
Wiki says about shipyard: "Builds and repairs warships, used to patrol sea zones. Shipyards can be built in cities, townslands, strongholds and woodland regions.", but I searched all options and I can not find where can I recruit/repair warships or assign them to patrol sea zones. - Is it possible at all to do it manually or it is all automatically?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Shipyard and navies
« Reply #1: April 03, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
Not yet implemented.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 04, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
Going on a tangent here, but how do you expain navies in woodland areas? or even townlands and strongholds?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 04, 2015, 12:12:27 AM »
Going on a tangent here, but how do you expain navies in woodland areas? or even townlands and strongholds?

As long as it's a coastal region, I don't see the problem.

If it's landlocked, and still allowed to build a shipyard, that's a bug.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 04, 2015, 12:24:52 AM »
As long as it's a coastal region, I don't see the problem.

If it's landlocked, and still allowed to build a shipyard, that's a bug.

So am I misreading the meaning of navies as groups of military-class vessels? How would you get the infrastructure to build those in a woodland region? Or a stronghold that can't even muster up enough competence to change bonds into gold?

From a gameplay perspective I see no issue (maybe even the need to allow for all sea zones to have navies, even if no cities are on its coasts)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 04, 2015, 12:27:20 AM »
So am I misreading the meaning of navies as groups of military-class vessels? How would you get the infrastructure to build those in a woodland region? Or a stronghold that can't even muster up enough competence to change bonds into gold?

From a gameplay perspective I see no issue (maybe even the need to allow for all sea zones to have navies, even if no cities are on its coasts)

I don't know offhand what regions shipyards can be built in. But once you have a shipyard, that is the infrastructure you need to build fleets of ships.
Timothy Collett

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 04, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »
I don't know offhand what regions shipyards can be built in. But once you have a shipyard, that is the infrastructure you need to build fleets of ships.

It's no use getting further into this as I'm not sure what regions can hold shipyards either. Oops :) thanks for taking the time to answer

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 04, 2015, 12:54:47 AM »
Depends on what we call military grade ships. Forest regions are actually ideal for early era warships, due to the abundance of the required materials.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 04, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
Well I read up a little on the subject. In "The English Coast: A History and a Prospect", Peter Murphy states:

During the Middle Ages shipbuilding was ad hoc locations, sometimes associated with basic docks dug on the foreshore, storehouses and smithies. Other associated features at medieval and modern shipyards included sawpits, ponds for timber seasoning and ropewalks (...)

But even then. If 500 gold doesn't always supply you with a building, associated smithies and competent trainers, I don't see how 700 gold can net you a shipyard with smithies, skilled craftsmen and the infrastructure not to just build boats but navies.

Though I think I've weighed in enough on this. Feel free to disregard

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 04, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »
Well I read up a little on the subject. In "The English Coast: A History and a Prospect", Peter Murphy states:

But even then. If 500 gold doesn't always supply you with a building, associated smithies and competent trainers, I don't see how 700 gold can net you a shipyard with smithies, skilled craftsmen and the infrastructure not to just build boats but navies.

Though I think I've weighed in enough on this. Feel free to disregard

Again I guess it depends on how many ships we call a "navy"
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 04, 2015, 03:23:15 PM »
And this is where we say, "BattleMaster is a game, not a 100% historically accurate medieval simulator."
Timothy Collett