Author Topic: Lions vs Tiramorans: the petty war of the South!  (Read 19564 times)

Audaci

• Peasant
    • View Profile
As a recent returner to the game, i can definitely testify that during Fiona's last couple of weeks I was under the impression the whole continent was eager to gobble up what was left of Perdan.

No one had any idea that Sirion had marched south or that anyone would have supported Perdan in the pending war. Fiona did share some messages regarding Vix/Caligus and but the impression I had was that both realms were planning to march against us within 2 weeks. I don't think any of it sounded promising...but I may need to go reread them.

I would have expected the 'more experienced' or current leaders to have contacted the new King immediately instead of waiting for him to act, especially if there were complicated plans pending. Without outside advice, the leader's only choice is to do what he feels is best for the realm, and I think that's exactly what was done.

I'm sure the upcoming tournament could serve as a catalyst for a new war with some well-timed insults or a brawl or two.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I would have expected the 'more experienced' or current leaders to have contacted the new King immediately instead of waiting for him to act, especially if there were complicated plans pending. Without outside advice, the leader's only choice is to do what he feels is best for the realm, and I think that's exactly what was done.
A few reasons this didn't happen:

First, I was away for a few days when Fleugs' character was elected. During the time I was gone, Fleugs had sent a message to the rulers announcng himself, and stating that he would be sending a letter of introduction to those rulers that were important. I'm paraphrasing here, I don't remember the exact words. Essentially "If I want to talk to you, I'll send you a letter." Given this, and that it had been two or three days since he was elected, the presence or absence of a letter from the new ruler is an important piece of information. Saying "I'll send you a letter if you're important to me" and then NOT sending a letter is a VERY important piece of information, and a deliberate snub, *especially* when your realms had been in direct negotiations to sign an alliance.

Second, Fleugs isn't a new player who doesn't know how things work. He's been around the block a few times, and knows how to play the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
A few reasons this didn't happen:

First, I was away for a few days when Fleugs' character was elected. During the time I was gone, Fleugs had sent a message to the rulers announcng himself, and stating that he would be sending a letter of introduction to those rulers that were important. I'm paraphrasing here, I don't remember the exact words. Essentially "If I want to talk to you, I'll send you a letter." Given this, and that it had been two or three days since he was elected, the presence or absence of a letter from the new ruler is an important piece of information. Saying "I'll send you a letter if you're important to me" and then NOT sending a letter is a VERY important piece of information, and a deliberate snub, *especially* when your realms had been in direct negotiations to sign an alliance.

Second, Fleugs isn't a new player who doesn't know how things work. He's been around the block a few times, and knows how to play the game.

Indirik is entirely right. The only reason why Odoaker would seek an alliance with Eponnly at this point is if it meant a larger realm could be broken down into several realms (or to stop a large realm from expanding even further at Eponnlyn's cost). But really, Eponnlyn is only considered a possible tool to use in order to break up larger realms before it itself is broken up in two pieces. Now, of course, you will not hear that explicitly said ingame. That would be very foolish. But perhaps now you can understand Perdan's new course better.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Indirik is entirely right. The only reason why Odoaker would seek an alliance with Eponnly at this point is if it meant a larger realm could be broken down into several realms (or to stop a large realm from expanding even further at Eponnlyn's cost). But really, Eponnlyn is only considered a possible tool to use in order to break up larger realms before it itself is broken up in two pieces. Now, of course, you will not hear that explicitly said ingame. That would be very foolish. But perhaps now you can understand Perdan's new course better.

If my char gets his way Sirion might actually be broken up. But Perdan's new course does bring back most of the former political background as we've known it for so long. South vs North.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zakilevo

If my char gets his way Sirion might actually be broken up. But Perdan's new course does bring back most of the former political background as we've known it for so long. South vs North.

About damn time! Sirion broken down into single city realms? Good.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Sirion has 8 duchies and 58 nobles - that would amount to ~7 nobles per single-city realm.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
That would be horrible.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
If it were divided into 3 or 4 parts, however, each would have between 15 and 20 nobles, and 2 or 3 cities.

That's a perfectly reasonable size for a realm in today's BattleMaster, I'd say...though, as always, much depends upon just how active those 15-20 nobles actually are.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
If it were divided into 3 or 4 parts, however, each would have between 15 and 20 nobles, and 2 or 3 cities.

That's a perfectly reasonable size for a realm in today's BattleMaster, I'd say...though, as always, much depends upon just how active those 15-20 nobles actually are.

No stop it, the common sense, it BLINDS ME
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yes, three 20-character realms would be much better. That's about the average size on EC and BT.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
That will certainly spice things up ;)

Sirion has 8 duchies and 58 nobles - that would amount to ~7 nobles per single-city realm.
7 nobles per single city realm is kind of overstretch it, doesn't you think?

I have been thinking along a line. Why not we all agree to gang up and kill any realm holding more than 1 city?
Now that would make every realm holding more than 1 city to break up :P
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I have been thinking along a line. Why not we all agree to gang up and kill any realm holding more than 1 city?
Now that would make every realm holding more than 1 city to break up :P
That would be interesting, but who would make such an agreement? The only two realms with only one city are ... Fallangard and Perdan. And those two together aren't really going to be able to force anyone to do anything. If you start to include larger realms in the mix, then you're being kind of hypocritical, unless you first split up yourself. Then you kinda lose effectiveness.

Although< i do have to admit, it would be kind of funny to see the entire island except Sirion split up into city states, and then try to mob Sirion into submission. :D

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
That would be interesting, but who would make such an agreement? The only two realms with only one city are ... Fallangard and Perdan. And those two together aren't really going to be able to force anyone to do anything. If you start to include larger realms in the mix, then you're being kind of hypocritical, unless you first split up yourself. Then you kinda lose effectiveness.

Although< i do have to admit, it would be kind of funny to see the entire island except Sirion split up into city states, and then try to mob Sirion into submission. :D
The agreement, ahem. It has been done on Colonies island, though I do not know how we can apply it on East Island just yet. Most likely enforce by the strongest realms. If all strongest realms agree, the rest will have to abide by it. A good example will be how Lukon, Outer Tilog enforced this agreement on Colonies island(each of this realm hold 2-3 cities each); not a surprise they can pull this off. I remember how player of Valast, Valakyrie done this agreement and setup a so-called Colonial Senate guild, consists of all realms representatives, to help shape up the agreement and island future. We will probably need 1 strong noble who command awe and fear of all realms, an agreement and a few strongest realms; ah, the formula for success on Colonies island ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
UPDATE

In a twist of events, Perdan's general sent the orders meant for the realm to the ruler channel. A mistake, obviously, but we stood by our orders. Vix seemed to want to profit from this legitimately obtained information but forgot Bisciye has lvl 2 walls. Was this all a very elaborate ruse by Perdan's general or did Vix oversee some details? Anyway, the Tiramorans bravely charged onto the walls of Bisciye but were stopped short of taking the fortifications themselves. Yet another battle two regions away from Aix! (And three regions away from Partora. Vix is totally commiting)

Perdan now has 20 nobles. A net gain of about 7 nobles in a week and a half. Starting this war was a good decision so far. Nobles literally flock to the banner quoting "a need for action". If only I could write to members of other realms.  Oh well. It seems Vix isn't seeing an increase of nobles that much, so anyone looking to join one of both realms... Perdan still, since it's my realm, but in the future my propaganda shall try to divide nobles between Vix and Perdan equally!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
UPDATE

The Tiramoran military seems to be running crooked ever since they bravely died on the walls of Bisciye. The attempts to break the takeover in Woolton only scratched the Lion, causing it to speed up efforts to incorporate the region. This has now been done: Woolton flies the Perdanese banner! It was mentioned however that the Tiramoran military leaders were rather new players. I'm assuming they are quickly learning more about the game, and will soon be able to challenge us properly (well, like the first two battles, really).

Considering this was one of the two war goals in this war, Perdan now has a distinct advantage, region-wise. I am sure that Vix will do everything they can to take the region back and in return take over Dimwood. We'll see what happens next.

In addition, several nobles from other realms seem to wish to scout our regions. Like, allover the place. Will this escalate the conflict and put Perdan/Vix against several realms? Probably not, it'll probably be defused, in order to keep this war small.

Oh, also good news: in this war, infiltrators will not be banished when caught for their actions. We're trying to let infiltrators have more freedom and certainty, so they stick around longer.
Ardet nec consumitur.